Need help with some body lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 03:23 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Need help with some body lines

Getting everything put back together
I'm seeing my hood positioned wrong, kind of sitting back and cocked up on the drivers side
pics 1-3 are drivers side 4-5 are passenger side.
anyone have any ideas on how I can adjust to get this lined up?
the car is a 92, hood hinges from a 97 (dont think this matters)
I guess I could see the hinges being the culprit? they seemed to function flawlessly but idk..
would really appreciate an opinion or insight on something I'm not seeing

Old 01-16-22, 10:37 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

gonna look into step 1,2, and 5 tomorrow if I can get to the car, it snowed pretty bad today

bump, maybe someone knows more than I do

seems like the hood would have play in it if I didnt have the acorn shaped centering bolt pictured? like I could pull it toward me or push it back..

Last edited by ninetwo; 01-16-22 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-17-22, 08:09 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Are you sure the upper door is aligned properly? The hood-fender and fender-door alignment look okay (that first picture has me undecided if the hood is extending out from the fender slightly), so unless that rear tip of the hood is bent up, the door seems like the culprit.

Obviously, you can't align the upper door separate from the lower door, but if the hinge is cocked slightly, the upper portion could be pushed in.
Old 01-17-22, 09:41 AM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by t2d2
Are you sure the upper door is aligned properly? The hood-fender and fender-door alignment look okay (that first picture has me undecided if the hood is extending out from the fender slightly), so unless that rear tip of the hood is bent up, the door seems like the culprit.

Obviously, you can't align the upper door separate from the lower door, but if the hinge is cocked slightly, the upper portion could be pushed in.
Hey man, thanks for your input/idea, I'm snowed in today so sadly I can't put it to the test.
The door striker was adjusted when all the weather stripping was taken off, so I'll try to mess with the door a bit when I can get to the car.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-24-23, 12:59 AM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Default bump

bump and lost access to my email for my original account ninetwo. If a mod could help me get back into that account. Still havent gotten this cars body straightened out. I dont really know what to do . I need to get it driving and take it to a body shop I guess. If anyone sees this and had similar hood/fender fitment and can give me some advice I'd appreciate it.. I dont really want to put all my parts and time into a bent up car.. I need to get it straightened out, it stinks cause its all I see when I look at the car.
Old 10-24-23, 09:31 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

I would look at a few places. As suggested the door, but that would mean the top of the door frame may have been pushed in and the hood hinge portion pushed up. A few more places I would look at is the nose and mainly the driver side fender/bumper/headlight section. If it's pushed in ever so slightly it could push the hood up. How long has the car been hanging on that jack stand? Last thing, any chance the hood is bent on that specific side? Even during shipping larger hoods bearing weight on 1 corner vs full support may tweak the hood.
Old 10-24-23, 09:45 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Honestly looking more at the hood angle, it does look like that corner is slightly bent upward if everything else lines up. The additional question would be how was the hood stored? If that's how you received it, then the question can't really be answered. A good way to figure it out is a yard stick and a leveler in the middle to spot an issue.
Old 10-24-23, 10:55 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

Pics of the car <--- click this club lexus link for a few pics. They probably wont show you much, theres one with the bumper off though. The hood pictured is the same red/black hood. It was never shipped. Smashed the 92 bumper on the right side and replaced it with a 97 style bumper. Also replaced my right fender. The right fender lines up great. I guess hitting it on the right side pushed something in and got the left side out of whack. The hood is straight and undamaged from what I can tell. I replaced my hood hinges with hinges from an unknown 97 SC. The hinges feel good opening and closing.

Also, IF ANY MODS SEE THIS AND CAN HELP ME GET BACK IN MY ACCOUNT NINETWO I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT
Old 10-25-23, 11:34 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by ninetwo2
Pics of the car <--- click this club lexus link for a few pics. They probably wont show you much, theres one with the bumper off though. The hood pictured is the same red/black hood. It was never shipped. Smashed the 92 bumper on the right side and replaced it with a 97 style bumper. Also replaced my right fender. The right fender lines up great. I guess hitting it on the right side pushed something in and got the left side out of whack. The hood is straight and undamaged from what I can tell. I replaced my hood hinges with hinges from an unknown 97 SC. The hinges feel good opening and closing.

Also, IF ANY MODS SEE THIS AND CAN HELP ME GET BACK IN MY ACCOUNT NINETWO I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT
I would start by looking at the hinged areas and compare it to the passenger side, if you have access to another SC, a fellow member, a junk yard one, or maybe even images of the area may be helpful in this case.
Have you had the hood closed with tools underneath the hood over long periods of time??
Old 10-25-23, 11:57 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Smashed the 92 bumper on the right side and replaced it with a 97 style bumper. Also replaced my right fender. The right fender lines up great. I guess hitting it on the right side pushed something in and got the left side out of whack.
Those are very important details that were left out originally.

Given that you're repairing accident damage, rather than just realigning body panels after a paint job or body kit or something, I would fully expect the underlying structure to need attention. When I got my '95 SC3, it had been hit on both sides and the dr's door hinges weren't quite where they needed to be. I was able to shim them with washers to get the door closing mostly flush, but a proper fix would have required extensive metalwork to pull the hinges (and lower A-pillar) precisely into place.
The following users liked this post:
Tallyhoe (10-25-23)
Old 10-25-23, 12:25 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by t2d2
Those are very important details that were left out originally.

Given that you're repairing accident damage, rather than just realigning body panels after a paint job or body kit or something, I would fully expect the underlying structure to need attention. When I got my '95 SC3, it had been hit on both sides and the dr's door hinges weren't quite where they needed to be. I was able to shim them with washers to get the door closing mostly flush, but a proper fix would have required extensive metalwork to pull the hinges (and lower A-pillar) precisely into place.
Would agree here my Tundra go rammed by a Corolla while evading a left turning Einstein and he ended up crawling up my passenger door into the front fender and front bumper. Hood was misaligned and the frame for the passenger side had to be pulled out as it was pushed in slightly. This was a very mild impact, well not really an impact at all, like I stated the Corolla crawled up my door, lol... scary af, especially for the kids who had never been in an accident.
Old 10-26-23, 07:04 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Maybe reset the hood by realigning the driver side first and then the passenger side. If you aligned the right side (passenger side) first the issue may be misleading since you're technically concealing the issue. If the driver side was "perfect" I would start there and the issue may be more apparent when you get to the passenger side. This is just an assumption based on some of the information provided. My Celica has a similar profile at this moment, but my driver side took a hit therefore the apron towards the front is pushed in, pushing the headlight in and up propping up my hood. It's a carbon fiber hood so it shows more, but it's forced up. I will take and post pictures about it at a later time to give you a better idea, if you need one.
Old 10-26-23, 12:36 PM
ninetwo
Pit Crew

I would really appreciate that. Thanks for your take on it. I'd like to get the gaps/lines back to perfect, hopefully its something I can figure out, if not I'll be coughing up some dough. I got pretty deep into disassembling the car thread <- link if interested, + have all of the things I disassembled interior wise refurbished/refinished/ or upgraded, if I was to reinstall all of it the car would definitely deserve a clean body and alignment to match
Old 10-27-23, 06:33 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

I would really appreciate that. Thanks for your take on it. I'd like to get the gaps/lines back to perfect, hopefully its something I can figure out, if not I'll be coughing up some dough. I got pretty deep into disassembling the car thread <- link if interested, + have all of the things I disassembled interior wise refurbished/refinished/ or upgraded, if I was to reinstall all of it the car would definitely deserve a clean body and alignment to match
I've worked on the framing to push it out, but headlamp is still pushed in

Old 11-26-23, 08:26 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 303 Likes on 239 Posts

To me, it looks like you need your doors and fenders to come out to get everything to line up

I would use the hood as the benchmark for aligning the adjacent panels

Your right side is quite close, but you'll notice the fender gap on your left side is narrower than the right, which also makes sense with how the door is further inward on that side

You may need to put spacers behind your door hinges to push them out. Make sure the check strap and the other parts related to the hinge can still operate properly.