SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

For aerodynamics which year front end is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 11:31 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
well Barbary, I’m here to give you one more marble to roll around in that brain, as well as pose a question to everyone, perhaps the original bumper versus the 97 bumper doesn’t give too much difference in aerodynamics, but what about side skirts? When I installed oem sideskirts on my 95 I felt a difference at higher speeds making me wondering if the skirts somehow direct airflow better on the later model cars? Same thing with the 97 wing when I had it installed, is this in my head? Barbary I think your car would look sooo good with some oem side skirts painted to match your Awsome color.
The addition of sideskirts WOULD affect drag,handling, and stability at higher speeds.
I don't know exactly how the industry calculates drag coefficients, but I've heard its only at 50mph. If you are driving at 80mph, there'd be a significant difference in drag and handling due to the factory aero between a pre-97 and and 97+.
I remember this was a big reason 97+ aero got super popular among the guys who were roll racing in the 2000s and early 2010s. It was the cheapest way to increase stability when highway racing without make the car "look like a tuner" (not my words, just the mindset of most SC people back in the 2000s)

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 02-16-22 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 12:36 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts

Interesting thread, I can't imagine changing bumpers will make that much of a difference in terms of aero, even visually inspecting may not give us the correct answer. For example if we look at the 1998 LS400 it has a less coefficient of drag compared to the SC but has more angular lines. The pre 97 looks smoother but we won't know how it's really affecting it, as others have mentioned about the side skirts then that might affect it a bit but it also depends on other parts if the airflow goes around it or hits it.

I'm looking at aero parts for the SC as well but its all underneath, there are almost no flat surfaces on the SC underneath everything is naked so covering all that up with the flattest design possible will definitely have a huge impact on aero. As for the spoiler, I think the spoiler less option makes it more aero but I'm not sure by how much although I remember it wasn't too significant.
Old 02-16-22, 11:44 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 509 Likes on 302 Posts

Well yeah, thanks guys.
Obviously I was looking to see if there was any solid aero advantageous of this or that out there, because the way I drive the car (GT) even incremental advantageous add up. But there aren't, only minute differences maybe. One of the things was, my car has no lip at all. Did they put a lip on later for any reason or just to give it a more aggressive look.
I try to run only on paved roads but I do wind up on dirt roads (not on purpose) so I'm not going to take it any lower than it is now. That would rule out side skirts. If there were solid numbers out there on the later front ends being more stable at high speeds I would do that, but they are also larger than mine.
Which takes me to, How does a large front end like the LS400 rate a better drag than an SC? The less air resistance up front the better. I've always heard touted the SC has one of the best in the business.

Kahn said right up front, there isn't anything that makes a real difference, and boy does he know his stuff!
Thanks
Old 02-17-22, 06:06 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

I'd make sure that all of your under shields are present and up to snuff, missing shields could increase wind turbulence.
Old 02-17-22, 06:50 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I'd make sure that all of your under shields are present and up to snuff, missing shields could increase wind turbulence.
very true actually, mine didn’t have one when I got it, I noticed a small vibration at higher speeds, went away once I installed the undersplash
Old 02-17-22, 06:56 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbary
Well yeah, thanks guys.
Obviously I was looking to see if there was any solid aero advantageous of this or that out there, because the way I drive the car (GT) even incremental advantageous add up. But there aren't, only minute differences maybe. One of the things was, my car has no lip at all. Did they put a lip on later for any reason or just to give it a more aggressive look.
I try to run only on paved roads but I do wind up on dirt roads (not on purpose) so I'm not going to take it any lower than it is now. That would rule out side skirts. If there were solid numbers out there on the later front ends being more stable at high speeds I would do that, but they are also larger than mine.
Which takes me to, How does a large front end like the LS400 rate a better drag than an SC? The less air resistance up front the better. I've always heard touted the SC has one of the best in the business.

Kahn said right up front, there isn't anything that makes a real difference, and boy does he know his stuff!
Thanks
from what I noticed installing my sideskirts they hug the under body very closely so they don’t really lower the car at all , it just gives it that lowered appearance, practical and fashionable. Your car would look great with a lip painted to match or even just left matte black, there are some cool aftermarket one on magic drift.com and eBay, in my opinion they look better than the oem one, they curve a bit more and add more dimension.
Old 02-17-22, 09:03 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Thanks Thomas, sounds like an idea. I'm not a mechanic so can anyone show the underside of a 400 and what I'm looking for and where they are. I googled it but came up w stuff I didn't know what I was looking at. The car is about as stock and original as a 30yr old 400 can be, I think, so I'd be surprised if they're not there. I do have custom mufflers and coilovers so maybe something happened. If they're not seems like they could help quite a bit.
Old 02-17-22, 09:52 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
from what I noticed installing my sideskirts they hug the under body very closely so they don’t really lower the car at all , it just gives it that lowered appearance, practical and fashionable. Your car would look great with a lip painted to match or even just left matte black, there are some cool aftermarket one on magic drift.com and eBay, in my opinion they look better than the oem one, they curve a bit more and add more dimension.
OB-SC Yeh thanks.
a matte black lip and side skirts combination w my paint job does sound intriguing. I'll have to let that rattle around in my brain a while and see what happens
I'm looking to be back out on this road, hopefully in a few months. I call this shot "Noon on 911 Somewhere in Utah". Honestly appearance and fashion don't mean that much out here

I had Kool adventures, saw a lot and got a ton of photos on this trip
All the Best

The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (02-20-22)