SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

For aerodynamics which year front end is best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-22, 06:34 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 509 Likes on 302 Posts
Default For aerodynamics which year front end is best?

for aerodynamics which year front end is best?
cutting through the air / stability
Old 02-01-22, 03:07 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

I think that for that you'd have to look up the Cd rating for the 1992-1996 models and compare it to the Cd rating for the 1997-2000 models. If not for the SC300/400 then those same model years in the Z30 Soarer.

I don't think you're going to notice a huge difference in any of the factory front bumpers though.

For what purpose are you looking into this for, Barbary? If you're looking to cut down on aerodynamic drag to improve fuel economy you'd have to do quite a lot including using some rock hard (and not so great for an SC) low rolling resistance tires. If instead you're looking to create more aerodynamic downforce you'd have to get serious about racecar style aero parts and an adjustable aluminum wing-- things that really aren't going to be of great benefit in everyday city driving. On long highway drives racecar level aero parts may improve downforce, traction and stability to a point especially with very high performance sticky tires but that will probably be at the expense of the overall coefficient of drag figure and thus the efficiency you're interested in.

The SC for its time and even today has a very slippery shape to begin with.

I installed a factory 97-00 front bumper onto my SC but left the rest of the body intact. I added a 92-96 SC400 factory flat wing trunk lid later on. No other changes to my 1993 model's body. This I did 100% for my own preference of mix and match style. I don't think it did anything to improve the Cd rating of the overall vehicle but I don't think I changed it much either. Adding wider and sticker tires probably in and of themselves created a little extra rolling resistance but to such a negligible degree when greatly outweighed by the traction and stability benefits gained that it hasn't ever been a concern or something I've ever noticed.

If I had to guess I'd say the 1992-1996 style front bumper might be *marginally* slipperier than the 97-00 style front bumper with that bullet-like curve. But I have no wind tunnel tests to prove that-- only Toyota or a high end race preparation company that worked over a stock SC/Soarer in their wind tunnel would have that data.

I really don't think there will be much measurable variance that makes any significant real world difference though.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-01-22 at 03:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Barbary (02-01-22), Ezroni (02-20-22), Kira X (02-01-22), perfctreig (02-03-22)
Old 02-01-22, 07:27 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Hi, thanks Khan,
This is specifically about going 80mph or so down a long straight road, aerodynamics. Which is what I'm looking to be doing this driving season. I know the SC has one of the best drag co-efficients in the business but notice there are, 92, 95, and a 98 (in general) style bumpers and custom ones. I'm only looking to be as fluid and stress free on the engine as possible. I did notice the other bumpers had slight lips. Would they help stabilize the car at high speeds, making it run more effectively. Then again w the coil overs its running pretty close to the ground as is.

Maybe I'm just over thinking but I was wondering about the lip thing and why they changed them, besides changing them just to change something
just a note: the car is still running the factory original a/c unit and its car radiator, both are working like new 🤷‍♂️
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (02-01-22)
Old 02-01-22, 10:37 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbary
Hi, thanks Khan,
This is specifically about going 80mph or so down a long straight road, aerodynamics. Which is what I'm looking to be doing this driving season. I know the SC has one of the best drag co-efficients in the business but notice there are, 92, 95, and a 98 (in general) style bumpers and custom ones. I'm only looking to be as fluid and stress free on the engine as possible. I did notice the other bumpers had slight lips. Would they help stabilize the car at high speeds, making it run more effectively. Then again w the coil overs its running pretty close to the ground as is.

Maybe I'm just over thinking but I was wondering about the lip thing and why they changed them, besides changing them just to change something
just a note: the car is still running the factory original a/c unit and its car radiator, both are working like new 🤷‍♂️
I think in this case it will be difficult to improve on the stock design very much. Unless you wanted to use fuel-miser hypermilling tricks like covering the rear wheel wells, switching to wheels with mostly covered hubs, removing the factory 3.916:1 rear end and installing a lower 3.266:1 ratio rear end (which would hurt your overall acceleration in each gear that you are used to.

Since fuel economy or track-capable downforce aren't the concerns it really comes down to the design of the car as it is. The 92-94 and 95-96 front bumpers are similar enough so as to not be of much difference at all IMO. The 97-00 front bumper looks more aggressive and has a more aggressive chin but I think it wouldn't harm any Cd efficiency if you were to install one for style choice purposes.

As far as any concerns about over-stressing the engine... don't be. With the very smooth and curvy shape and the over-engineered and already under-stressed early 1UZ V8 design I don't think there can be any worry about that. Just take care to keep your oil changed regularly and top it off if you happen to experience any oil loss between changes. that engine is practically bulletproof as you know. Also be sure your transmission fluid and rear differential fluids aren't due for changes any time soon.

You're still running the original R12 style A/C compressor? Wow! You hardly see that any longer. Eventually it will make sense to switch over to a new Denso R134a compressor and have all the seals changed out but until then... keep it going!

As for the radiator, going on the long drives that you often do I would only have preemptive concern that you should have a new factory Denso radiator and OEM radiator hoses and clamps purchased and waiting on standby in your garage should you ever experience an emergency with a crack in it. Just to be prepared you understand.
Ezroni (02-20-22)
Old 02-02-22, 08:46 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I think in this case it will be difficult to improve on the stock design very much.

Since fuel economy or track-capable downforce aren't the concerns it really comes down to the design of the car as it is. The 92-94 and 95-96 front bumpers are similar enough so as to not be of much difference at all IMO. The 97-00 front bumper looks more aggressive and has a more aggressive chin but I think it wouldn't harm any Cd efficiency if you were to install one for style choice purposes.

As far as any concerns about over-stressing the engine... don't be. With the very smooth and curvy shape and the over-engineered and already under-stressed early 1UZ V8 design I don't think there can be any worry about that. Just take care to keep your oil changed regularly and top it off if you happen to experience any oil loss between changes. that engine is practically bulletproof as you know. Also be sure your transmission fluid and rear differential fluids aren't due for changes any time soon.

You're still running the original R12 style A/C compressor? Wow! You hardly see that any longer. Eventually it will make sense to switch over to a new Denso R134a compressor and have all the seals changed out but until then... keep it going!

As for the radiator, going on the long drives that you often do I would only have preemptive concern that you should have a new factory Denso radiator and OEM radiator hoses and clamps purchased and waiting on standby in your garage should you ever experience an emergency with a crack in it. Just to be prepared you understand.
Hi, thanks again I totally agree. The 92 front ends are about as smooth, rounded and slippery as has ever been produced, except for a 69 Vette or so. The thing that got me wondering the following year cars got a slight lip and then a more aggressive one. What was that all about? Because I'm only thinking about high speeds. For looks I like the 95 best but I don't want to give up the aerodynamics of the front end I have now unless there is an advantage to the successor ones. A those speeds and distances I would imagine even incremental benefits add up.

I don't like the following year changes much. I think the early year cars are smooth and clean. Don't care for that vent above the following year front ends. The newer tail lights lose their smooth, and look bulky. Happy to have the flat spoiler, the newer flow thru one looks weirder. But thats just me.
Makes me wonder if they did these changes, just because they felt they had to do something

I'll be getting a set of new tires before I go out on the road. I found what I need was tires that could preform in the relentless conditions of 100 degrees desert roads for days. Those roads get hot! These tires handled the heat and even gave excellent wear. Goodyear Eagle Sports, Lasted for years

The A/C,
I switched over to R134a coolant soon after I got the car. There is a little converter kit that they had back then, a plastic nozzle adapter you screw on the cars a/c nozzle that accepts the R134a coolant can, and then just pump refill your a/c as usual. Haven't changed any part of my a/c, everything is still the factory original. It still gets so cold in the car I have turn it down or even off for a while
A little side; I got the car w a slight coolant leak, after a while it became annoying. Noticed coolant leak seal refrigerant cans for sale. I started using them to refill my a/c and eventually the leak stopped. Now its just regular usage

The car radiator has been flawless. No leaks, never overheated, not even in the hottest deserts. If you look at my last engine bay shots you can see the yellow original thermostat still there 🤷‍♂️ Learnt from you guys how even overbuilt were the early 1UZ's
Thanks Barbary
Old 02-03-22, 05:31 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I would say the 97+ bumper would be the best in overall performance due to the vents in the middle to get more air across the radiator and into the engine bay.

Also worth saying i do think the 92's no license plate might be a little bit smoother for aero sakes
Ezroni (02-20-22)
Old 02-03-22, 08:55 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

In my opinion, the no licence plate looks the best. My son didn't have one on his '95 and I don't have one on my '99. There's no place to put a plate anyway.

Here's a picture I took yesterday of the front to show the amber DRL's after I gave up trying to find LED DRLs.

Old 02-03-22, 09:39 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by scsexy
I would say the 97+ bumper would be the best in overall performance due to the vents in the middle to get more air across the radiator and into the engine bay.

Also worth saying i do think the 92's no license plate might be a little bit smoother for aero sakes
Yeh, I don't think a front end can get much smoother than the 92
Thanks I didn't know the 97's had vents, but than I wonder about those lips

Old 02-03-22, 09:53 PM
Barbary
Instructor

[QUOTE=perfctreig;11221182]In my opinion, the no licence plate looks the best. My son didn't have one on his '95 and I don't have one on my '99. There's no place to put a plate anyway.

Here's a picture I took yesterday of the front to show the amber DRL's after I gave up trying to find LED DRLs.QUOTE]

thanks
here's a pic of a 92 w no front plate, "smooth" before the coilovers
fortunately I now live in a place front plates aren't used/ Man I Love that. It makes me feel like I'm run-in peak "smooth"
thanks guys

Ezroni (02-20-22)
Old 02-05-22, 06:20 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC the ´92 front WITH the lip and rear spoiler most SC400 came with provided the 0.31cx. The rest have a 0.32cx which is not much of a difference.
KahnBB6 (02-05-22)
Old 02-06-22, 11:39 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Thanks, interesting. My 92 doesn't have a lip

Ezroni (02-20-22)
Old 02-06-22, 08:19 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think the old rumors on this site say 92-96s have a drag coefficient of 0.32 but the 92-94 400s with the front lip and spoiler package were 0.31.
I've seen the exact same numbers for the 97-00 cars except the details are a bit different: 0.32 for the factory aero and 0.31 if the car has the 97-00 spoiler on it (the spoiler was optional at first and then became standard equipment for the final years). This makes sense because the 97 spoiler specifically channels air downward into the low pressure zone behind the car.

So if I had to choose a bumper based on data alone, simplicity wins.
I think the 92-94 bumper (or modified 95-96) with the factory lip added would give you the lowest drag for the least amount of effort. I think the lip is responsible for the lower drag and not that little spoiler. I think if the spoiler was so significant at reducing drag, they wouldn't have redesigned it for the 97 cars.

But these numbers are so small that you might as well rock what you like.
And there is plenty of aftermarket add-ons to choose from if you want to keep an OEM bumper. There are lips for either bumper, and beyond that you could also upgrade from there with more race oriented parts like canards and splitters

The following 2 users liked this post by 1997Soarer:
Ezroni (02-20-22), KahnBB6 (02-06-22)
Old 02-07-22, 10:45 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thank you all! I guess the consensus is: "It doesn't matter a Rats ***"
Which I had queries about, mostly the lip. (To lip or No lip). It doesn't matter, So things will stay as they are, except I will have 1 less thing rattling around in my brain while I'm out there on the open road. And for that I thank you all 💜🚙
Old 02-15-22, 07:57 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbary
Thank you all! I guess the consensus is: "It doesn't matter a Rats ***"
Which I had queries about, mostly the lip. (To lip or No lip). It doesn't matter, So things will stay as they are, except I will have 1 less thing rattling around in my brain while I'm out there on the open road. And for that I thank you all 💜🚙
well Barbary, I’m here to give you one more marble to roll around in that brain, as well as pose a question to everyone, perhaps the original bumper versus the 97 bumper doesn’t give too much difference in aerodynamics, but what about side skirts? When I installed oem sideskirts on my 95 I felt a difference at higher speeds making me wondering if the skirts somehow direct airflow better on the later model cars? Same thing with the 97 wing when I had it installed, is this in my head? Barbary I think your car would look sooo good with some oem side skirts painted to match your Awsome color.
Old 02-15-22, 11:11 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Its been a while OB-SC.
I think the car is as low as its going to get. Some the roads I find myself on are a little rough. So lower will make it tougher. Most of the miles on the car are long distance miles. Thats why I was talking aerodynamics. The least air resistance up front the better, in my book. The wing. There are some things on the later models I just don't care for their looks. The wing is one of them. Now these are strictly personal preferences . I just like the flat spoiler look better, I don't care for the latter tail lights. I think the early ones look smoother and the later have a bulkier look. Another thing that is probably just me. I don't care for that vent they put on the front bumper under the logo. I liked it smooth.

A thing I liked a lot is the front end on Billy 305's ride, If I could get a deal on that front end or maybe just modify mine. Looks like a quick modification. But than again, nothing is quick. What I am doing is getting a new set of tires. Goodyear Eagle Sports 18's, thats what I have now and they have done extremely well on those super hot desert roads for long stretches at a time. What I need out there are dependable tires they are, even wear well.

I do want that beautiful strut bar straddling the engine helping out my new tires, new wheels and new coilovers, taking those mountain curves. Yahoo!

Quick Reply: For aerodynamics which year front end is best?