SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Possible purchase...need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 09:13 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by MoogieBoogie
If that Supra was white, it belonged to a guy named Seth who lives around Westchester, NY. He was basic BPU, but I think when he ran that 11.4, he had a built auto? Before that, I believe he ran a 11.9 or something to that effect.

I dont think most Supra owners want 800+ rwhp. Seems the ideal is about 600 rwhp. Then again, there's always that joke "what's the difference between a 600 rwhp, 700 rwhp, and 800 rwhp Supra?" They all run 12's.

-Brian.
It all depends on the turbo they get. Daka Dans Supra runs 11s with SP67 (I think) turbo at ~ 450 rwhp.

See, the problem is... if it was all that easy and cheap why doesn't everyone do it. Let's apply this formula to Z32. Not too many people do it. When applying that formula to Supra, seems like everyone and their mom has a single turbo. Something must be different and better with the Supra.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-09-03 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-09-03, 09:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Only1Z, please check your private messages.
Old 10-09-03, 10:21 PM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought we covered the why on this subject...no need to rehash it again.
Old 10-10-03, 08:28 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, there's a guy running around Jersey that clicks off 10.2's with a mkiv SP63 automatic. And yes Marcus' Supra was basically done when he bought it, super-clean ride though. Moogie, yeah that's Seth's car, the trans had a Pro Tech valve body and converter. Only1Z, I think a 500-600rwhp Z that had just bolt-ons, turbos and injectors would be a rare thing indeed, but the SC does not require a swap to get to that level, just watch me . Oh, and i'm not 'arguing points with myself,' because you're ANSWERING me dude! . Just felt like having a good JZZ31 vs Z32 debate, which is what we got. Thanks for the complement, i'm also very fond of your whip....for me the only other thing as cool as gunmetal volks on a silver car is polished HRE's on a black one ...
- Jon
Old 10-10-03, 08:33 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

for the sc3 to handle that much hp, it needs a new tranny no? we also need a new rear end to get some decent traction.
Old 10-10-03, 10:26 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MoogieBoogie
If that Supra was white, it belonged to a guy named Seth who lives around Westchester, NY. He was basic BPU, but I think when he ran that 11.4, he had a built auto? Before that, I believe he ran a 11.9 or something to that effect.

I dont think most Supra owners want 800+ rwhp. Seems the ideal is about 600 rwhp. Then again, there's always that joke "what's the difference between a 600 rwhp, 700 rwhp, and 800 rwhp Supra?" They all run 12's.

-Brian.
Seeing that we're throwing out bpu times I'll throw my best out there
When my 94 6spd supra was completely bpu, no +'s on 100 octane an nitto dr's I went 11.7@121.34mph, and back that up with another 11.9@122mph, slips to prove it too

Anyways,
Tim, I think if you want a daily driver with class, power, and comfort the SC is a great choice!!! You have your Z, which is probably the cleanest Z I have EVER seen Originally I bought this SC as a daily driver. I think in the back of my mind I knew exactly why I bought it, to swap in the gte motor. So I'm a bit biased in my thinking. I truly think you would love the car to drive in it's stock form, hell, I loved that car stock.

If you have any questions or need someone to ride along to look the car over with you, just let me know.
chris.threadgill@businessobjects.com
Old 10-10-03, 02:28 PM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

Hey, Chris...

Glad you saw the post. I actually just found another SC that I might buy. It sounds VERY good. It's a 92 5-speed and has around 50K miles on it. I'll ask you about it off the forum. I drove one here in Chicago that had 40K miles (a 92), but the paint was not in the greatest condition. It was definitely a city, non-garaged car. This was sometime last year and decided to just pass on it because it just didn't look as good as it should have at 40K miles (and he wanted a pretty premium price...that's fine, as long as the car is in premium condition...but it wasn't...your paint is MUCH better at the 117K or so miles on the body). Anyway, I loved how smooth that car was and how comfortable it was. It had the Nakamichi sound too which I thought was fantastic. It was definitely a car I could see myself in everyday.

And Lex Luthor, it was a good debate. I'll let you know what happens. All I meant when I said that you were arguing with yourself was that I didn't really disagree with anything you said about the Supra/2JZ. The only thing I disagree with is your comments on the 300ZX. It really shows that people are very ignorant when it comes to the car. I've been part of the Z community for 5+ years. I know PLENTY of cars that have 500-600 rwhp on a stock block (one has 622 rwhp on a stock block). Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean they aren't out there. I'm in the top 40 in refreshes on twinturbo.net (thousands and thousands of members). I know the Z. I know what's out there. The block EASILY handles the power. It's just whether you want to pull the motor or not to get the turbos in. None of the talk we had said anything technical about the Z. It was more that the 2JZ was a better motor. This is silly to argue because I know the 2JZ will make better power in stock form. So it's hard to argue when someone agrees with you. But I'd much rather have a 300ZX with 500-600 rwhp than an SC300...just personal preference (and I think it's just as easy to do with the Z...just bolt-ons and turbos really).