SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Possible purchase...need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 10:57 AM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible purchase...need opinions!

Hey, guys!

I'm new to the board. I'm also new to SC300's, but found one that I might buy. But I wanted to get opinions from the experienced people here on what they think. I found a 96 SC300 with 50K miles. It's a 5-speed, which I almost find essential. :-) From what I've gathered in only a little research, you really want to get a 5-speed SC300 or the SC400 if you want to have more fun. So that's the direction I've been looking. The only hang up I have about this SC300 is that it's dark green on tan. Now, I'm open to a lot of colors, but I'm not real sure about the green. Does anyone have good pictures of their dark green SC300's (can anyone sell me on this car)? This car has an asking price just under $14K which seems to be about right. But I'll leave it to you guys. From what I can see in the pictures, the car looks very clean. What should I look out for? And what do you guys think of your SC300's (especially 5-speed owners).

Sorry about the questions that have probably been asked a thousand times. I'm a current 300ZX owner and have been part of that community for over 5 years. I know it can get a bit aggrevating answering "noob" questions. Anyway, any help would be vastly appreciated!!!!!
Old 10-07-03, 11:02 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Good find.

I think people generally try to stay away from green because the word "green" does not come up as a fabulous color in a literal sense.

However, if you really check it out in person, I think it'll grow on you eventually. Ask me how I know.

Here's a link to all the pictures of my dark green SC4. Hope this helps.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...p?ppuser=16941

Jon

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 10-07-03 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-07-03, 11:15 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Possible purchase...need opinions!

Originally posted by Only1Z
Hey, guys!

I'm new to the board. I'm also new to SC300's, but found one that I might buy. But I wanted to get opinions from the experienced people here on what they think. I found a 96 SC300 with 50K miles. It's a 5-speed, which I almost find essential. :-) From what I've gathered in only a little research, you really want to get a 5-speed SC300 or the SC400 if you want to have more fun. So that's the direction I've been looking. The only hang up I have about this SC300 is that it's dark green on tan. Now, I'm open to a lot of colors, but I'm not real sure about the green. Does anyone have good pictures of their dark green SC300's (can anyone sell me on this car)? This car has an asking price just under $14K which seems to be about right. But I'll leave it to you guys. From what I can see in the pictures, the car looks very clean. What should I look out for? And what do you guys think of your SC300's (especially 5-speed owners).

Sorry about the questions that have probably been asked a thousand times. I'm a current 300ZX owner and have been part of that community for over 5 years. I know it can get a bit aggrevating answering "noob" questions. Anyway, any help would be vastly appreciated!!!!!
I see no problem with dark green and tan SC300. Do you?

My car:

PS. Show up to one of our local Chicago Lexus Club meets. Two are coming up.

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-07-03 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 11:18 AM
DIrEctQL

If you want a daily driver get the SC400 (no manual transmission available) ... otherwise get SC300. The SC (especally SC300 because it has the same non-turbo engine) is related to Supra.

BTW, '95 SC300 5 speed is a great turbo material. Next year there will be four turbo SC300s in Chicagoland area (me included).

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-07-03 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-07-03, 12:23 PM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

I actually drive 20 miles to work one way, almost all highway. I plan on this being a daily driver. My friend Marcus had a white SC300 and sold it to his friend Chris. Chris has done a Supra swap and the thing is putting down 420 rwhp. He's running mid-12's on the stock 5 speed manual and stock open differential. I don't think I'd get into that for awhile since I do have my 300ZX. I more or less want a nice daily driver. By the way, after some pics, the green is starting to grow on me. I'm going to have to seriously consider this. Any other comments from anyone?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 10-07-03, 12:24 PM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

Let me know when and where there's a meet. Maybe I can make it out. :-)
Old 10-07-03, 01:27 PM
DIrEctQL

I actually drive 20 miles to work one way, almost all highway. I plan on this being a daily driver. My friend Marcus had a white SC300 and sold it to his friend Chris. Chris has done a Supra swap and the thing is putting down 420 rwhp. He's running mid-12's on the stock 5 speed manual and stock open differential. I don't think I'd get into that for awhile since I do have my 300ZX. I more or less want a nice daily driver. By the way, after some pics, the green is starting to grow on me. I'm going to have to seriously consider this. Any other comments from anyone?

Thanks!!!!!
I sort of know Marcus and Chris. One of these 4 people I was talkign about was Chris (Chris T., I'm Chris P., confusing) actually. He really did a great job. Maybe he'll sneak a post in here.

I don't think SC is a very good daily driver during winter. Look here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=97267

The '96 SC300 5 speed is a pretty rare find. If you can... get it. I think '96 5 speed would be a wonderful turbo project.

Chris

Last edited by DIrEctQL; 10-07-03 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-07-03, 01:32 PM
DIrEctQL

Let me know when and where there's a meet. Maybe I can make it out. :-)
First meet is at Dude's Performance. It is posted both on Chicago Lexus Forum (www.chicagolexusclub.org), IS300.net, and supraforums.com. Invite anyone you want. Especally your buddies from the Nissan forums.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=96242

Second meet is at Elmhurst Toyota. Again, everyone is invited. I bet you know about this one already. It's also posted on all the forums I mentioned above.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=94149

Chris P.
Old 10-07-03, 03:47 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Although I don't own an SC, my two favorite colors for it are either Black or Dark Green. Pictures don't do this green justice, it's definitely something to be seen in person. If the color of the car is the only thing holding you back at this point, don't hesitate any longer.

Good luck, and hopefully we'll be seeing more of you soon
Old 10-07-03, 07:25 PM
gotbooost
Driver School Candidate

I love my 92sc 300 5sp but i really like the way the newer 96 or 97 n up ones look..
the only thing i dont like about the newer ones is OBDII.. if youre gonna turbo that car you might have to do a stand alone
Old 10-07-03, 08:51 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

You are very lucky indeed! A 96 5 speed with 50k miles!!! Rare. Get this car, you are not going to find another one. The production numbers on 5-speeds were very small, it seems particularly in those final years. These are fantastic cars and you will be very happy. Green was not my first pick either, but it is very pretty color. It grows does grow on you. I would be tempted to buy it if were pink! (well maybe not).

1994 SC300 5-speed, 85,400 miles

Totally reliable and a blast to drive. You should do some searches on the forum, much has been written here.

Good luck
Old 10-07-03, 08:56 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you from San Francisco Scoupe?

Jon

Originally posted by SCoupe
You are very lucky indeed! A 96 5 speed with 50k miles!!! Rare. Get this car, you are not going to find another one. The production numbers on 5-speeds were very small, it seems particularly in those final years. These are fantastic cars and you will be very happy. Green was not my first pick either, but it is very pretty color. It grows does grow on you. I would be tempted to buy it if were pink! (well maybe not).

1994 SC300 5-speed, 85,400 miles

Totally reliable and a blast to drive. You should do some searches on the forum, much has been written here.

Good luck
Old 10-07-03, 09:37 PM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

Default Well...

I guess my only concerns now are:

1) Winter driving in this car... It seems like it's not the best for that (considering the open differential too, I can see why). Snow tires seem a must. So I'd have to swap them before and after winter. It's not really feasible to keep 3 cars now or I would just not drive it in the snow and take my beater. The idea is to have a nice daily driver instead of my current beater.

2) Resale value... I'm going to probably buy a place in the spring, so I'll need down payment money for that. If I had to sell this car for that, would I be able to get most of my money back? From what you tell me, it sounds like I can. I was worried that perhaps green would be harder to sell than say silver or black. This is more precautionary because I doubt I'd have to sell it. And my 18K mile 300ZXTT isn't going anywhere so don't even think about it. ;-)
Old 10-07-03, 10:10 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Well...

I guess my only concerns now are:

1) Winter driving in this car... It seems like it's not the best for that (considering the open differential too, I can see why). Snow tires seem a must. So I'd have to swap them before and after winter. It's not really feasible to keep 3 cars now or I would just not drive it in the snow and take my beater. The idea is to have a nice daily driver instead of my current beater.

2) Resale value... I'm going to probably buy a place in the spring, so I'll need down payment money for that. If I had to sell this car for that, would I be able to get most of my money back? From what you tell me, it sounds like I can. I was worried that perhaps green would be harder to sell than say silver or black. This is more precautionary because I doubt I'd have to sell it. And my 18K mile 300ZXTT isn't going anywhere so don't even think about it. ;-)
You sound very typical. No offence. But the SC tends to grow on people too much. Next thing you know you'll be parting with you 300ZX to turbo your SC. You sound like some on this board before.

I belive the horse power possabilities are much greather with SC then 300ZX. Not to mention Sound Performance is pretty close.

Chris
Old 10-07-03, 10:30 PM
Only1Z
Driver School Candidate

Default LOL

Believe me...it'll stay a daily driver. If I want hp, I'll drive my other car. :-) After I have it for a few years, then maybe I'll see (once it has more mileage on it...50K isn't cause for replacing anything). But I only want one car to dump money into. There's no need for two. Potential I don't really care about (nobody knows about the potential of the Z which is how I prefer it). If I ever built a car, I wouldn't care about "dyno queen" numbers. I'd want to build a bad *** street machine. I would probably do something in the low 500 rwhp range with no turbo lag. That I can do on a stock Z block without a hint of a problem. I would get a small turbo upgrade and aftermarket manifolds bolted to a stock block (almost no lag and 100 rwhp over stock turbos). There really isn't much on the street to hang with you at that point.

I hang out with a bunch of car nuts here in Chicago. There's everything from a bunch of Supras, to Vipers (nitrous and superchargers involved), to 911 turbos (X50 packages), to a GT2, to some 3000GT's, to an Aston Martin (soon to be a Murcielago), to an F360, to Audi S4's, to Z06's, to an E55 AMG, to an SC300 Supra swap, and so on. There's a mighty plethora of outstanding cars in our group. 500 rwhp will hang with *most* of the cars I've listed (if not beat a lot of them).

Plus I've already promised myself that the next "fun" car will be a late 60's-early 70's Chevelle with a 502 big block. That'll give some neck snapping torque. :-)

The Lexus will just be a great, enjoyable daily driver with nice luxury ammenities and just a fun car to drive everyday. The potential is there to make them fast, but I don't need to do that. It also seems like this is a nice forum to hang out at and learn about the car. That's always a nice bonus. ;-)

Quick Reply: Possible purchase...need opinions!