SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rear View Mirror Post Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 04:13 PM
Ochiba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear View Mirror Post Windshield Replacement

I recently had the windshield replaced on our 1995 SC400. I had a spare rear-view mirror from one I pulled at the yards to replace the one the car came with with a spot in the middle of the dimming material.

The windshield they found for me was on the pricey side and came with a different style mounting bracket than the Bearing type from the factory. It has a black piece of aluminum glued to the glass, with no divets for the bearings to sit in.

The original mount was destroyed when the windshield was removed from the shop.

The new mount looks like you could slide in a mirror fixture and it would click into place, but it's far too narrow to accept the original mirror style.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Old 03-07-22, 01:16 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

You have a couple of options:

1) Locate another SC mirror mount from a wrecking yard or some online source and have it shipped to you and attached in the stock location. Then you can attach your spare SC 92-00 OEM mirror to that location as stock again.

2) If the mount on your glass appears to be a metal "V" shape (vaugely "V" shaped) then it is probably one of the standard mounts in common use today by many OEMs. You can in this case order a Gentex aftermarket mirror which accepts this mount. This would not be OEM but Gentex is actually the original OEM rearview mirror supplier to Toyota/Lexus for the SC/Soarer. Their aftermarket designs are not the same of course but they are a high quality rearview mirror manufacturer both as an OEM supplier and aftermarket mirror maker.

The Gentex aftermarket mirrors have several available options beyond just auto-dimming such as an illuminated LCD compass, a small backup camera screen that disappears into the mirror glass when powered off and even one model that offers all of that and navigation.

Homelink is also an option on their mirrors (but SC's could also be optioned with this in their factory driver's side sun visors as well... and it is also possible to add that function to your factory visor with the correct model Homelink unit purchased off eBay).

If I may ask though, did your shop mention which replacement windshield manufacturer they went with for your SC? I'm curious to know if the windshield came with the standardized "V" mount shoe or if the intention from the manufacturer was for the installing shop to remove and re-use your original windshield's spring and ball style mount?
The following users liked this post:
Ochiba (03-07-22)
Old 03-07-22, 02:18 PM
Ochiba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply.
I asked about it, but the replacer did not know what the source was for the glass, his supplier found it for him.
I was very grateful to have any options at all with seemingly all production of this type stopped currently.

The shoe is as you describe, sort of a v shaped shoe. It's different from the other one I see online for Subarus and Hondas which has a spring inside, but this does have elevated grooves inside where the spring might be on those ones.

Now I'm looking at the Gentex mirrors, but they unfortunately make no mention of how they mount. Guess that will be addressed when they arrive.

Thank you again!