SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Parts????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-22, 08:18 PM
TonyRome
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parts????

Hello, I am new to the forum and need some help. I own a 1994 SC400. Where do you buy parts (OEM and aftermarket)? Are many of the parts for these cars discontinued? I've been having a tough time finding interior parts. I'm really hoping engine, brakes, suspension items will be easier to find.
Old 03-07-22, 01:39 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Hello TonyRome and welcome to the CL forums!

Some parts are discontinued yes but not always what you might think. It gets very specific when it comes to that. Interior parts for SC's are generally are getting discontinued but there are a few still available, especially little things and fasteners, etc. Usually you'll need to go to eBay, to the CL marketplace or any other groups where people may be parting out interior bits.

OEM replacement body seals are somewhat available but generally the factory original ones last an exceptionally long time so there is that.

In some cases there are interior trim part repair options (there are ways to repair the upper door inside trim pieces, anything that came with leather can be reupholstered or replaced with good pieces in better condition), there are 3D printed center vent replacement parts available now as well but you'll have to search the web for those. Some specific 3D printed parts for performance-minded use are available from AutoExtrude, JZZ30, Cipher Auto, etc.

Then there are a lot of general things. Generally for tuneup parts I'd recommend OEM Toyota/Lexus dealer parts (the 93-97 Supra MKIV non-turbo used the same engine spec) and for this I'd suggest McGeorge Toyota, MyLParts and Amayama (from Japan) depending on prices from each. Also Driftmotion, MVP Motorsports, XCessive Manufacturing, Figs Engineering and many other specialty companies offer a wide variety of OEM and aftermarket parts for 1992-2000 SC's.

Also, Rockauto and Densoproducts both carry many OEM-spec parts especially from Denso which is a major OEM supplier for these cars.

In some cases parts need special reconditioning such as the main engine ECU for non-VVT-i models... which by this point in time needs new capacitor service just due to age if not from some issue(s) that make the ECU suspect for needing repair. Tanin Auto Electronix can help with that by special request. The same company also handles repairs and lighting upgrades for the instrument cluster and climate control LCD panel.

The 1992-1994 SC turn signal relay is another specific example of special service being needed if it ever fails. It is a very unique design (really over-engineered) that has no aftermarket equivalent and it is also discontinued worldwide. However we have a thread where a CL member has developed a prototype DIY replacement signal relay for those models but the main fix would be to send it in to Relentless Motorsports, Texas to have new capacitors and possibly a couple of other fairly standard components replaced to get it working like new again.

Door hinges I believe might still be available but for many years the alternative to buying a new one from a dealer is to buy or send your original ones to a gentleman in Australia (he has an account here on CL) who has been rebuilding the same hinge mechanisms on the Z30 Toyota Soarer sibling vehicle for years.

The tilt mechanism for the steering column has been known to fail but this is addressed with an extremely cheap and common fix involving some spacer washers or an outright replacement of the plastic gear inside the column for renewed tilt function.

There are quite a few specific things like this for these cars but generally with the years of knowledge on these forums we have solved pretty much any issue you'll come up against.

Engine, brakes and suspension parts are *extremely* available given the popularity of these cars and their Soarer siblings and the close relation to the Supra MKIV chassis. There will be no trouble finding parts in those categories.
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Kira X (03-09-22), RudysSC (03-07-22), texan_176 (03-12-22)
Old 03-07-22, 08:31 AM
TonyRome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Hello TonyRome and welcome to the CL forums!

Some parts are discontinued yes but not always what you might think. It gets very specific when it comes to that. Interior parts for SC's are generally are getting discontinued but there are a few still available, especially little things and fasteners, etc. Usually you'll need to go to eBay, to the CL marketplace or any other groups where people may be parting out interior bits.

OEM replacement body seals are somewhat available but generally the factory original ones last an exceptionally long time so there is that.

In some cases there are interior trim part repair options (there are ways to repair the upper door inside trim pieces, anything that came with leather can be reupholstered or replaced with good pieces in better condition), there are 3D printed center vent replacement parts available now as well but you'll have to search the web for those. Some specific 3D printed parts for performance-minded use are available from AutoExtrude, JZZ30, Cipher Auto, etc.

Then there are a lot of general things. Generally for tuneup parts I'd recommend OEM Toyota/Lexus dealer parts (the 93-97 Supra MKIV non-turbo used the same engine spec) and for this I'd suggest McGeorge Toyota, MyLParts and Amayama (from Japan) depending on prices from each. Also Driftmotion, MVP Motorsports, XCessive Manufacturing, Figs Engineering and many other specialty companies offer a wide variety of OEM and aftermarket parts for 1992-2000 SC's.

Also, Rockauto and Densoproducts both carry many OEM-spec parts especially from Denso which is a major OEM supplier for these cars.

In some cases parts need special reconditioning such as the main engine ECU for non-VVT-i models... which by this point in time needs new capacitor service just due to age if not from some issue(s) that make the ECU suspect for needing repair. Tanin Auto Electronix can help with that by special request. The same company also handles repairs and lighting upgrades for the instrument cluster and climate control LCD panel.

The 1992-1994 SC turn signal relay is another specific example of special service being needed if it ever fails. It is a very unique design (really over-engineered) that has no aftermarket equivalent and it is also discontinued worldwide. However we have a thread where a CL member has developed a prototype DIY replacement signal relay for those models but the main fix would be to send it in to Relentless Motorsports, Texas to have new capacitors and possibly a couple of other fairly standard components replaced to get it working like new again.

Door hinges I believe might still be available but for many years the alternative to buying a new one from a dealer is to buy or send your original ones to a gentleman in Australia (he has an account here on CL) who has been rebuilding the same hinge mechanisms on the Z30 Toyota Soarer sibling vehicle for years.

The tilt mechanism for the steering column has been known to fail but this is addressed with an extremely cheap and common fix involving some spacer washers or an outright replacement of the plastic gear inside the column for renewed tilt function.

There are quite a few specific things like this for these cars but generally with the years of knowledge on these forums we have solved pretty much any issue you'll come up against.

Engine, brakes and suspension parts are *extremely* available given the popularity of these cars and their Soarer siblings and the close relation to the Supra MKIV chassis. There will be no trouble finding parts in those categories.
Thank you for a very thorough response. This helps me greatly. I guess part of the fun of restoring my car will be the hunt for some of the parts. I'll check out all the parts suppliers you mentioned. I definitely have a lot reading to do on this site.
The following 2 users liked this post by TonyRome:
KahnBB6 (03-07-22), Soarer59 (04-16-22)
Old 03-08-22, 07:26 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Your real name is Frank Sinatra...right?
Old 03-09-22, 11:44 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbary
Your real name is Frank Sinatra...right?
very astute observation barbary
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22, 03:57 PM
TonyRome
Driver School Candidate

LOL...nope, I'm more handsome.
Old 03-10-22, 12:54 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

*System Message: Incredulous_Frank_Sinatra111 has just joined the chat*