SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/400 Compass Options? (OEM GS or IS Rearview mirror swap and aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-22, 06:58 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

By the way, for reference to anyone following my the thread, this video demonstration should be about the same for how our unique windshield mirror mounts are assembled prior to reinstalling a rearview.

This is upside down with the windshield out of the vehicle but it looks near identical to how the same design goes together in an SC/Soarer/MKIV Supra:

The following users liked this post:
cboog3105 (04-18-22)
Old 04-18-22, 07:17 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

This thread seems to address the mystery regarding the “C” and “F” temperature symbols on the LED screen of the GS mirror with compass.

From what is described therein, those functions were not used in Lexus OEM applications despite being present. I guess that might mean that there is no circuit on the internal board that connects to a thermistor sensor for temperature so as to make it operate.

More importantly however there is apparently a calibration procedure needed to get a compass mirror up and running by setting a “zone” for whatever region of the country you are in and then driving in a circle 2-3 times in a parking lot.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ss-temp-2.html
Old 04-18-22, 08:10 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
This thread seems to address the mystery regarding the “C” and “F” temperature symbols on the LED screen of the GS mirror with compass.

From what is described therein, those functions were not used in Lexus OEM applications despite being present. I guess that might mean that there is no circuit on the internal board that connects to a thermistor sensor for temperature so as to make it operate.
That seems bizarre on the surface, but then, Lexus did build in the capability for the auto-dimming mirror 4 years ahead of time, so who knows what grand future plans they had in mind.
KahnBB6 (04-18-22)
Old 04-18-22, 08:42 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
That seems bizarre on the surface, but then, Lexus did build in the capability for the auto-dimming mirror 4 years ahead of time, so who knows what grand future plans they had in mind.
Considering the fact that the temperature gauge is embedded in the climate control, not sure what exactly was the plan in there..
Old 04-18-22, 08:46 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Considering the fact that the temperature gauge is embedded in the climate control, not sure what exactly was the plan in there..
On the temp/compass mirrors I've played with, there's a sensor up near the grille that goes straight to the mirror. I would guess Lexus planned on one of the inputs being repurposed for that, but it seems like you'd want more wires in the connector to make that possible.
Old 04-18-22, 08:51 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

On the temp/compass mirrors I've played with, there's a sensor up near the grille that goes straight to the mirror. I would guess Lexus planned on one of the inputs being repurposed for that, but it seems like you'd want more wires in the connector to make that possible.
Yeah, I am just not sure why would you want temperature readouts in your center mirror, for me it makes as much sense as having my speedometer readings in the climate control, especially considering that it requires a separate sensor from the one for that climate control going specifically to the mirror, seems a little to complicated.

Could it be a dealer option for cars that didn't have temperature gauge in the first place? But then even Corollas had one..
Old 04-18-22, 09:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Yeah, I am just not sure why would you want temperature readouts in your center mirror, for me it makes as much sense as having my speedometer readings in the climate control...
A few companies make most of the OEM mirrors, so it may be as simple as that was the direction the industry was being pushed, so Lexus was accounting for the possible option later on.

By the same token, does the compass make any more sense in the rearview mirror than in the dash? People are used to it being there, but I sort of prefer uninterrupted mirror space.
Old 04-18-22, 09:37 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

By the same token, does the compass make any more sense in the rearview mirror than in the dash? People are used to it being there, but I sort of prefer uninterrupted mirror space.
True as well..

Avalon had a compass built into a display in the center console, but it took up a ton of space and was more of a show piece to demonstrate the onboard computer than anything else. In an established interior, putting a compass in the mirror is actually the only spot I can think of that won't irritate me when compass is not needed, every other spot is either not logical, like some menu in the radio, or will look weird, like that option placed smack dab in the middle of the dashboard on the Avalon, or like the clock built into the cluster on old Mercs that only the driver is capable of seeing. With that, 2ng-gen Montero beat them all to it..

Last edited by Arsenii; 04-18-22 at 09:42 AM.
KahnBB6 (04-18-22)
Old 04-18-22, 09:59 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Avalon had a compass built into a display in the center console, but it took up a ton of space and was more of a show piece to demonstrate the onboard computer than anything else. In an established interior, putting a compass in the mirror is actually the only spot I can think of that won't irritate me when compass is not needed, every other spot is either not logical, like some menu in the radio, or will look weird, like that option placed smack dab in the middle of the dashboard on the Avalon, or like the clock built into the cluster on old Mercs that only the driver is capable of seeing.
It could have simply been another toggle of the clock/temperature/ODO display on the SC gauge bezel. I mean, how often do you really need to look at the time, temperature, or the direction you're headed? They're like smartphones ... we can't help but look at them when they're in front of us, but they're not really providing us any info that we weren't perfectly fine without before.
Old 04-18-22, 02:16 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

^^ I think you guys are right. Since Gentex was the OEM supplier of these rear view mirrors (and probably still is today for many new Toyota/Lexus vehicles) this was more than likely a modified off the shelf design with a custom outer casing and mounting arm made by Lexus themselves. OEM suppliers will often build many potential capabilities into their vehicle components and allow the manufacturer to specify which of those built-in functions they want activated or included on the circuit boards.

It was wishful thinking on my part that this was perhaps a little talked about secondary function that we could activate but it seems to just be extra symbols on a mass-produced LED readout that Lexus never activated.

Most Lexus models, by model year 1998, began to incorporate a digital outside temperature function in their dashboards after all. And I am sure that the sensor for these must be the front bumper thermistor which is also used by the air conditioning system.

It could have simply been another toggle of the clock/temperature/ODO display on the SC gauge bezel. I mean, how often do you really need to look at the time, temperature, or the direction you're headed? They're like smartphones ... we can't help but look at them when they're in front of us, but they're not really providing us any info that we weren't perfectly fine without before.
Lexus could have easily done just that but as we know the 1998-2000 models solved the issue by putting the outside temp reading in the newly updated dash cluster for that year.

As far as how often someone would need to look at the outside temperature or which direction you are headed...? I think a lot of people find these very simple functions VERY useful.

While I'm Florida or Southern California during hot summer months sometimes the temperatures can get VERY hot and it's nice to be able to see if it's only 90F outside or a whopping 100F+. Similarly when I've taken trips during cold snaps in the fall it's good to know when the outside ambient temperature drops from 35-40F to below 32F at which point I get concerned about encountering black ice.

As for having a digital compass in the car... again, VERY useful. I don't have a good natural sense of direction to always just know in an unfamiliar setting if I am facing North, South, East, West or any split in between. How some people do this without effort is a mystery to me. I am an extremely visual and picture-snapshot based thinker in terms of knowing my current direction so if I already know specific road I am on it's no issue but when I am driving to a new or unfamiliar place having an in-car compass is extremely useful to me to correct my bearings as needed if I take a wrong turn or three somewhere and for whatever reason need to find my way back to the correct major intersection and enter it going the correct intended direction to better reach my destination.

And even if I'm not turned around by mistake it's still extremely useful just to be able to take note of at a quick glance to verify my direction. This is useful just to file away later mentally while traveling a new road in a certain direction so as to be able to mentally recall later (as a hypothetical),"Ah! I was on this road a few months ago and I recognize these visual landmarks and the compass tells me this is Northwest...".

Different people learn new roads and bearings differently but I consider an easy to glance at compass in a car to be very useful when learning new routes or when traveling long distances through unfamiliar places.

Having that compass function built into the rear view mirror of my SC is perfect because it also doesn't require me to change some other part of the rest of my factory interior design in order to add one in a tacked on manner. All the easiest locations to add 52mm aftermarket gauges have already been taken up in my car so a factory Lexus mirror upgrade which can be modified to bolt and plug right in like factory is a win in my book.

Also, the compass, horizon and approach angle manual gauges found in Mitsubishi Pajeros and Monteros and 1980's-1990's Toyota Land Cruiser FJ70's are fantastic! But only fantastic for those types of vehicles where you can tell that their inclusion was part of the original dash layout design. As cool as those protrusions are in the the Mitsubishi and Toyota compact off-roaders it wouldn't flow well with an SC/Soarer's dash design.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-18-22 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-18-22, 03:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
As far as how often someone would need to look at the outside temperature or which direction you are headed...? I think a lot of people find these very simple functions VERY useful.
I'm not against either of them in principal, but that's not quite what I meant... Finding a use for them vs needing to have them there. It's extraneous info that, IMO, has contributed to making the average driver a worse driver. Maybe you're the rare individual that charts roads by direction as you go, but it sure sounds like you've been doing that just fine without a compass in front of you, if you're just now adding one.

Most everyone has a phone on them 24/7 nowadays, with a compass app and/or GPS, and many have in-dash navigation. Pretty easy to pull over and figure out where you went wrong. And if technology fails, I have a first aid kit in the truck with a hand held compass. And road signs tend to get a person sorted out, be it north/south addresses or block numbers, or highway directions. Plus, I know how to look at the sky and determine the sun's position by time of day. There are so many workarounds, for the once or twice a year most people are likely to really need a compass in their line of sight, the rest of the time it's just a convenience in need of a justification. People like features. There's nothing wrong with that. But if that weren't what it's all about, temperature/compass mirrors would all have a toggle that defaults to off for the 99.99% of time that's the practical presentation.

I've never been surprised by icy weather, because I know the day's conditions and if it's been moist... If you're traveling a ways, I could see that being unpredicatable, though. But, I'm also not trusting the calibration of a vehicle temperature sensor that can be heavily influenced by wind, if a couple degrees are the difference between traveling straight ahead vs spinning in circles.
Old 04-18-22, 06:59 PM
cboog3105
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not against either of them in principal, but that's not quite what I meant... Finding a use for them vs needing to have them there. It's extraneous info that, IMO, has contributed to making the average driver a worse driver. Maybe you're the rare individual that charts roads by direction as you go, but it sure sounds like you've been doing that just fine without a compass in front of you, if you're just now adding one.

Most everyone has a phone on them 24/7 nowadays, with a compass app and/or GPS, and many have in-dash navigation. Pretty easy to pull over and figure out where you went wrong. And if technology fails, I have a first aid kit in the truck with a hand held compass. And road signs tend to get a person sorted out, be it north/south addresses or block numbers, or highway directions. Plus, I know how to look at the sky and determine the sun's position by time of day. There are so many workarounds, for the once or twice a year most people are likely to really need a compass in their line of sight, the rest of the time it's just a convenience in need of a justification. People like features. There's nothing wrong with that. But if that weren't what it's all about, temperature/compass mirrors would all have a toggle that defaults to off for the 99.99% of time that's the practical presentation.

I've never been surprised by icy weather, because I know the day's conditions and if it's been moist... If you're traveling a ways, I could see that being unpredicatable, though. But, I'm also not trusting the calibration of a vehicle temperature sensor that can be heavily influenced by wind, if a couple degrees are the difference between traveling straight ahead vs spinning in circles.
What this thread is for:
People who specifically want a compass in their SC (regardless of reasons who what where we or why)

What this thread is not for:
Reasons why t2d2 doesn't need a compass

Thank you for coming to my ted talk
Old 04-18-22, 07:52 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cboog3105
What this thread is for:
People who specifically want a compass in their SC (regardless of reasons who what where we or why)

What this thread is not for:
Reasons why t2d2 doesn't need a compass

Thank you for coming to my ted talk
It was a side comment that led to a tangent. Someone says something, someone responds... Note: I never said I'm against the addition of a compass. It's the exchange of opinions and ideas. Life goes on.
Old 04-18-22, 08:18 PM
cboog3105
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

It was a side comment that led to a tangent. Someone says something, someone responds... Note: I never said I'm against the addition of a compass. It's the exchange of opinions and ideas. Life goes on.
being condescending isn't an exchange of ideas

no different from the guys last time a compass thread was derailed
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post6832302
Old 04-18-22, 08:23 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cboog3105
being condescending isn't an exchange of ideas
Please give me a specific example.

While I'm waiting on that, here's something for you to chew on... If you had chastised everyone who spoke off-topic, rather than just the one you disagreed with, I would respect your position.

Quick Reply: SC300/400 Compass Options? (OEM GS or IS Rearview mirror swap and aftermarket)