SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PLEASE READ: Transmission replacement nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03 | 10:35 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Frankinaustin
I wish I had my torque converter installed as well. Actually, I just sold it to a fellow CL member for $700 shipped. That's a $50 + shipping loss for me right there without even opening the package. Oh well, at least I am glad that someone can make a good use of it on their SC400.

Are you serious about the Dextron II and III fluid? The mechanic simply went to Totota dealership and bought Toyota specific "power steering fluid" from them. Does it mean that I have to flush the entire system again and replace it with Dextron II or III fluid? Since my pump is not making noise now, should I just leave it the way it is without taking my chances?

Fred
Thanks a lot for your advices. Have you seen the link to the picture that I posted in the previous few treads? Does it appear normal for my PS pump to be coated with oil/grease like this?

As far as I know, the good news is that I don't see any more leak from my PS pump. But I think it would be even better if I can be sure that there would be no more problems with my car in the long run.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

Jon
Old 10-14-03 | 08:56 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Hey Jon

I read all of the post on your nitemare and after the post where your car started slowly and you thought your alt went out. Man I feel really bad for you bro. I didnt think this thread would end LOL.

I dont think your mechanic is familiar with LEXUS or import cars. He didnt offer any sound advice. 500 dollars for tranny install job is kinda high. and charge you for the cable too?? come on now hes already working on the damn tranny. a tranny job should be complete. not just ok i got your tranny in the car. oh you want to replace the cable?? that ll be 80bucks or oh you want me to drain and refill tranny fluid too?? that ll be 50 bucks when does it end. you know what I mean??

heres my opinion, most cars require using specific kind of fluid. and if you use the wrong brand, it can damage the P/s and or make crazy noise.

as for the tires not scratching. you cant scratch good tires.
I got 19s on my SC400 with 210k. I scratch Toyos Fz I can scratch Toyos Ts1 a little cant scratch at all on S03.

as for the alternator. if it ever goes out. DIY. take it out replace or rebuild it. and put it back in your selt. Its an easy job. Cant be no more than 100 to rebuild.

Good luck,

CV
92 sc4 210k smooothhhhh, i do all my own work.
Old 10-14-03 | 11:53 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Hey what's up?

Thanks for understanding. I was seriously freaked out when I had that slow start. I almost had a heart attack right there on the spot. I thought if it's the alternator then I might as well as just give up and start walking since I had no more money to repair my car anymore.

Exactly. When my mechanic said he would charge $425 for a transmission swap. I took it that he would just charge me $425 if I bring in my own parts. I understand that he might've broken the cable accidentally and I was willing to pay for the part. But charging me another hour worth of labor just to put on that cable is just unreasonable. Also, all the MISC parts such as engine front seal/tranny seal should've been taken into consideration when he first quoted me the $425 charge. I am more than certain that he should've known that these components would have to be replaced when he does the swap anymore. I just hate it when he knew that there will be extra charge on this items long before he started working on my car and chose not to tell me about it.

As for the PS pump fluid. I am actually getting a lot of conflicting advices. Many members on CL have suggested me using the Dextron III transmission fluid on my PS pump or else it'll make weird noise. I actually called my local dealership (Lexus of Sacramento) today and was told that they do not put anything else on Lexus cars' PS reservoir other than regular PS fluid. The service tech. even told me that he's never heard of putting Dextron III fluid in PS reservoirs.

When my mechanic filled my PS reservoir, he simply used regular Preston PS fluid. Perhaps that's why my pump was making weird noises. However, my pump is working properly now and has no noise whatsoever. I am keeping my fingers crossed in hope that nothing would happen to my PS pump and alternator.

Sorry, I am not very skillful when it comes to car repairs. I took a picture of my PS pump and alternator just a couple of days ago. Could I ask you to please take a look at this link to see if there's anything wrong with my PS pump and alternator?

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Jon

Originally posted by TxLexus
Hey Jon

I read all of the post on your nitemare and after the post where your car started slowly and you thought your alt went out. Man I feel really bad for you bro. I didnt think this thread would end LOL.

I dont think your mechanic is familiar with LEXUS or import cars. He didnt offer any sound advice. 500 dollars for tranny install job is kinda high. and charge you for the cable too?? come on now hes already working on the damn tranny. a tranny job should be complete. not just ok i got your tranny in the car. oh you want to replace the cable?? that ll be 80bucks or oh you want me to drain and refill tranny fluid too?? that ll be 50 bucks when does it end. you know what I mean??

heres my opinion, most cars require using specific kind of fluid. and if you use the wrong brand, it can damage the P/s and or make crazy noise.

as for the tires not scratching. you cant scratch good tires.
I got 19s on my SC400 with 210k. I scratch Toyos Fz I can scratch Toyos Ts1 a little cant scratch at all on S03.

as for the alternator. if it ever goes out. DIY. take it out replace or rebuild it. and put it back in your selt. Its an easy job. Cant be no more than 100 to rebuild.

Good luck,

CV
92 sc4 210k smooothhhhh, i do all my own work.
Old 10-15-03 | 08:19 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Jon,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I see you still feel the mechanic damaged your p/s hose. No, I really dont think he did. Reason, this hose had 175k miles on in....I can just about guarantee you that it was hard as a rock. How do I know? That same p/s hose on my 92LS400 started leaking a few months ago and when I had a look it was hard as a rock and developed a crack....my mileage? 140k. Now, when the shop replaced the transmission they would have had to tilt the engine/transmission combo back and forth alittle in the process. That tilting would have caused the hard, brittle hose to most likely crack further and develop a leak. Is the shop responsible? They had to perform the transmission replacement and part of that required that the engine/trans be tilted alittle.

Now, the door ding, cable and added prices are another story. But, the hose and any future problem with the pump should be obvious.
Old 10-15-03 | 09:24 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

You're right,

There are just certain risks that are not attributable to the shop's fault.

Objectively speaking, I shouldn't have blamed everything on the shop.

But again, I would've understood if they took the time to explain to me what happened. That's not what happened. Hopefully, I would take this incident as a lesson and make sure to ask the shop for a complete estimate before having them do any major work on my car from now on.

Regards,

Jon

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
Jon,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I see you still feel the mechanic damaged your p/s hose. No, I really dont think he did. Reason, this hose had 175k miles on in....I can just about guarantee you that it was hard as a rock. How do I know? That same p/s hose on my 92LS400 started leaking a few months ago and when I had a look it was hard as a rock and developed a crack....my mileage? 140k. Now, when the shop replaced the transmission they would have had to tilt the engine/transmission combo back and forth alittle in the process. That tilting would have caused the hard, brittle hose to most likely crack further and develop a leak. Is the shop responsible? They had to perform the transmission replacement and part of that required that the engine/trans be tilted alittle.

Now, the door ding, cable and added prices are another story. But, the hose and any future problem with the pump should be obvious.
Old 10-15-03 | 05:37 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Hey Jon

I saw the pic of your PS and Alt. You cant tell when the ALT is bad or goes bad. Its all internal.

Here is my suggestion on the PS. And if anyone thinks my suggestion is a dumbass moron advice. I wont be offended.

Jon go buy yourself a couple can of Brake cleaners. let your car cool. Get a card board, big enough to slide in under the PS pump. and spray them grease and build up. It ll clean it up right before your eyes. then drive it and check it again the next day. or keep your eye on it. to see if there are any leakeage or any other problems.

Reason i said get a card board was that. when you spray the grease. you want to prevent it from dripping into your alternator.

Good luck man.

CV
Old 10-15-03 | 05:39 PM
TxLexus
Driver

TOYLEXMOD

I totally agree with your scenario on the breakage of PS hose.

CV
Old 10-15-03 | 06:21 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Very good idea. It's not a dumb advice at all.

I'll do this as soon as I have time and see what happens.

I just came back from Tune Up Master and had them checked out my car again.

These folks are truly professional and friendly. They carefully looked underneath my car and determined that there was no additional leaking problem associated with the PS pump.

I know the guy was hungry and had to go in minutes (it was almost 6pm), but he was nice enough to answer my questions. He didn't even charge me a cent for his work today.

I think after everything that I've gone through, I've learned my lesson. Sometimes older mechnics are NOT always more knowledgable and honest than younger folks. The mechanic at Tune Up Master is my age and in my opinion, he does a far better job in checking out my car, taking things apart, and answering my questions than the guy who swapped my transmission.

I am happy now.

Jon

Originally posted by TxLexus
Hey Jon

I saw the pic of your PS and Alt. You cant tell when the ALT is bad or goes bad. Its all internal.

Here is my suggestion on the PS. And if anyone thinks my suggestion is a dumbass moron advice. I wont be offended.

Jon go buy yourself a couple can of Brake cleaners. let your car cool. Get a card board, big enough to slide in under the PS pump. and spray them grease and build up. It ll clean it up right before your eyes. then drive it and check it again the next day. or keep your eye on it. to see if there are any leakeage or any other problems.

Reason i said get a card board was that. when you spray the grease. you want to prevent it from dripping into your alternator.

Good luck man.

CV
Old 10-15-03 | 07:00 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Jon,

Hey, no problem. I can almost bet the shop didnt even think of this situation. Sometimes your too close to the answer and just cant find it. Glad to hear there are no more leaks...keep a close eye on all your hoses and gaskets...these are great cars but rubber and gaskets do have shelf life and need to be changed out.

Cheers,

Dave

==================================================================================

"You're right,

But again, I would've understood if they took the time to explain to me what happened. That's not what happened. Hopefully, I would take this incident as a lesson and make sure to ask the shop for a complete estimate before having them do any major work on my car from now on.

Regards,

Jon"
Old 10-15-03 | 07:19 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Thanks again for the words of wisdom Dave.

I am just relieved that everything's been resolved (for now) and hopefully, things like this will not happen to me again.

Happy motoring.

Jon

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
Jon,

Hey, no problem. I can almost bet the shop didnt even think of this situation. Sometimes your too close to the answer and just cant find it. Glad to hear there are no more leaks...keep a close eye on all your hoses and gaskets...these are great cars but rubber and gaskets do have shelf life and need to be changed out.

Cheers,

Dave

==================================================================================

"You're right,

Regards,

Jon"