SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dyno Numbers are in (Tuned with S-AFC)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 07:16 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by NAZTY97
that's an interesting graph.... i wonder why they didn't use the rpm vs power / tq chart?

the falloff is kinda interesting up on the top end,... it looked as if it could have still be tuned for a little bit more power. just my observation..
you are correct! I could have juiced a few more HP's (looking at the A/F graph).. but since I do drive the car 100+ miles a day i wanted to stay relatively on the safe side....

They had RPM vs HP/TQ charts... They still havem y records so i can have them pull it up.... I'm setting up a dyno day for NE members and a few guys from my local group so I can ask for the rpm vs HP/TQ chart...... they acutally look pretty much the same... but I'll get those when i go back mid november.
Old 10-15-03, 01:45 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I have the S-AFCII in my car. I tuned it on the dyno with a tuner.

Please do NOT put in someone else's figures in and expect the car to work right. You are tricking the computer into thinking there is/isn't X amount of air so it's crucial to be correct. I guarantee that if its done incorrectly, you WILL mess up a part that costs way way more than the cost of tuning.

Please use the figures as just reference points. It's a good starting point, but w/o the wideband hooked up it's impossible to tune the car properly.

BTW, the S-AFCII has a more tunable map and a knock sensor input, 2 different data charts, password protection, etc. It is the latest and greatest.

Another option to consider is the E-manage. It starts out cheaper than the AFC, but you have to add different sensors & connections (which are extra) to make it work to it's full potential. It does offer a much bigger assortment of user functions and it's said to be more adjustable.

I personally like my AFC II just fine. Got 70+rwhp from using it.
Old 10-15-03, 01:52 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Guys,

I have the S-AFCII in my car. I tuned it on the dyno with a tuner.

Please do NOT put in someone else's figures in and expect the car to work right. You are tricking the computer into thinking there is/isn't X amount of air so it's crucial to be correct. I guarantee that if its done incorrectly, you WILL mess up a part that costs way way more than the cost of tuning.

Please use the figures as just reference points. It's a good starting point, but w/o the wideband hooked up it's impossible to tune the car properly.

BTW, the S-AFCII has a more tunable map and a knock sensor input, 2 different data charts, password protection, etc. It is the latest and greatest.

Another option to consider is the E-manage. It starts out cheaper than the AFC, but you have to add different sensors & connections (which are extra) to make it work to it's full potential. It does offer a much bigger assortment of user functions and it's said to be more adjustable.

I personally like my AFC II just fine. Got 70+rwhp from using it.
you got 70RWHP on what car? just with the AFC II?
Old 10-15-03, 01:56 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

YOU GAINED 70 RWHP?!?!!?
Old 10-15-03, 01:56 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by VSsc400
you got 70RWHP on what car? just with the AFC II?
GS400. Yes, just with the AFCII and tuned.

I'm not stock though....
Old 10-15-03, 02:00 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

very misleading to say 70rwhp from AFCII...
you should have mentioned that your A/F curve was way off stock and running a supercharger
Old 10-15-03, 05:48 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by VSsc400
very misleading to say 70rwhp from AFCII...
you should have mentioned that your A/F curve was way off stock and running a supercharger
Not misleading at all. My A/F was NOT off stock. It only became off when I added the S/C and it's much larger injectors. I gained 40 HP to the wheels after the charger install, but it was running rich. Hence the need for an AFC in the first place. Hence the need for anyone to have one. If someone's car was running at optimum fue/air mix, they would see 0 benefits from installing one, wouldn't they?

After installing and tuning the car with the AFC, I gained an additional 70+ HP. So to say that I gained 70+ HP using the AFC is not misleading at all. It's actually very accurate. Without the AFC, I would not have been able to extract the 70HP, right? So then, what other thing should I give credit to?

So you are saying that had I not installed a S/C and kept my SRT intake and ecu and installed the AFC having just that and gained ANY HP....who or what would I accredit that to? AFC, right? So then, why would installing another part, in this case a S/C, and then installing an AFC to tune it with make any difference????

Bottomline, weather you believe it or not, is that w/o the AFCII I would not have seen the final 70HP the S/C was capable of. The AFC is designed to tune what you ALREADY have to get the optimum HP from that. The AFC doesn't ADD HP by itself. Only let's you get the HP that has been there all along, just not efficiently.

Kinda like saying that makeup makes ugly people pretty....it doesn't. It just makes them ugly people with make up. Make up does make pretty people look prettier, but it doesn't mean they weren't that pretty in the first place. They either have it or they don't. The AFC didn't invent HP, just found it.

Just for FYI: The 70 figure comes from the fact that my first dyno pull BEFORE starting to tune the AFC was 286RWHP, which is about 40+HP over stock. Once the AFC was tuned, about 3 hours later, the final dyno pull was 352.8RWHP (66HP to be exact, oops I rounded a little). The only difference between the first pull and last one.....a tuned in AFCII. We didn't change pulleys, we didn't change to race gas, we didn't change anything other than the AFC. Boost levels also remained the same.....5psi. Verified by both the dyno and my gauges.

Last edited by jmecbr900; 10-15-03 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 06:02 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

He isn't saying that your 70 hp is a lie.

He is saying that it is misleading of you to say you gained 70 hp without saying you installed a supercharger. Without saying that you had a supercharger installed, many will just assume you got that gain from a stock car.

The discussion in this forum was basically about the kind of power gained by using a afc controller on a stock car.

When Dennis first pointed this thread out to me, I too thought you gained 70 hp off a stock car from the safc. I knew there had to be more to your story.

Last edited by verylost; 10-15-03 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 06:26 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by verylost
He isn't saying that your 70 hp is a lie.

He is saying that it is misleading of you to say you gained 70 hp without saying you installed a supercharger. Without saying that you had a supercharger installed, many will just assume you got that gain from a stock car.

The discussion in this forum was basically about the kind of power gained by using a afc controller on a stock car.
I guess you could have a point in a way. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone, that's why I added the part about "not being stock". I made the statement only because I knew that the AFC helped to get the additonal HP. Guess I should have told you guys better how I got to that conclusion and maybe not just put up the numbers by themselves.

I will try and be perfectly clear on this then to try and add to the discussion instead of confuse:

Using an AFCII on my SUPERCHARGED GS400 I was able to extract an additional 65+ HP via tuning. The supercharger alone, running rich, added 40+HP. Once tuned using ONLY the AFCII, we were able to fine tune the air/fuel mix to gain an additonal 66 HP. So on a STOCK car, you are likely to see gains albeit substantially less than I. 8-10HP from fine tuning the air/fuel does not seem like it's out of the equation. On a stock car, the disadvantage or shortcoming will be, as I mentioned before, that the stock ECU is tuned well already from factory. So minimal gains will be found because the air/fuel curve is close to optimum already. Even at 10HP, it's worthwhile because you will have spend almost twice as much to find similar gains (SRT intake is the next cheapest mod, which is said to add 10-20 HP but costs $500+ shipping). One other advantage to getting an AFC is that if you ever plan on continuing to mod, it can be tuned again to gain maximum HP from THAT mod.

Hope this clarifies any previous posts.
Old 10-15-03, 08:17 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

jmecbr900:
exactly what verylost said.
You simply said you got 70rwhp without saying you did anything else to do it.
you car was probably running close to stoich in stock form.
of course when you put larger injectors you are going to run richer.... thus you were running far far too rich...(no longer in stock form). Thus if you wer running close to stock A/F ratio after the injectors and supercharger you would not have gained 70rwhp but would have seen much more gain that 40rwhp off the supercharger.

All you had to say is that... you don't have to explain to me and get defensive and all that. I know you are boosted. you da man

Last edited by VSsc400; 10-15-03 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-15-03, 08:20 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, jme, very sweet car.

How has the car held up at 5 psi?
Old 10-15-03, 08:57 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by verylost
By the way, jme, very sweet car.

How has the car held up at 5 psi?
Thanks.

It's held up beautifully, so far. I'm anxiously waiting on a goody or two that should arrive w/i the next couple of days. Hopefully with that, I will be near my goal of 400whp. You know to go with the GS400 . Lame I know, but that's my goal.

I still have some idle issues that are not perfect. The car idles just fine sometimes...other times it idles low as before. I guess as "Lexus" put it....it's part of the character of the GS400's..... . Yeah right!

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance really soon to go to the track one night and get some hard numbers. I really wanna see the improvement since I went to the track before with just an intake, ecu, and TC. We'll see.

BTW, sorry to get defensive and cause confusion. I misunderstood the reply. I probably should have been a little clearer in the beginning. Hope everyone understands my point now.
Old 10-16-03, 02:35 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Thanks.

It's held up beautifully, so far. I'm anxiously waiting on a goody or two that should arrive w/i the next couple of days. Hopefully with that, I will be near my goal of 400whp. You know to go with the GS400 . Lame I know, but that's my goal.

I still have some idle issues that are not perfect. The car idles just fine sometimes...other times it idles low as before. I guess as "Lexus" put it....it's part of the character of the GS400's..... . Yeah right!

I'm pretty happy with it so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance really soon to go to the track one night and get some hard numbers. I really wanna see the improvement since I went to the track before with just an intake, ecu, and TC. We'll see.

BTW, sorry to get defensive and cause confusion. I misunderstood the reply. I probably should have been a little clearer in the beginning. Hope everyone understands my point now.
Try adding a FMU (the rising rate fuel pump, not 1:1) and then set the S-AFC so that the whole range is compensating only for the larger injectors and not boost (should be flat). Once that is done tune the FMU until you have a good setting for your car to match boost with fuel and then fine tune it the rest of the way with the S-AFC.

You may not see too many issues without this setup until you start increasing boost but you'll know when you have the problems (engine bogging, cut-out, going too lean at places).
Old 10-16-03, 07:20 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hermosa
Try adding a FMU (the rising rate fuel pump, not 1:1) and then set the S-AFC so that the whole range is compensating only for the larger injectors and not boost (should be flat). Once that is done tune the FMU until you have a good setting for your car to match boost with fuel and then fine tune it the rest of the way with the S-AFC.

You may not see too many issues without this setup until you start increasing boost but you'll know when you have the problems (engine bogging, cut-out, going too lean at places).
Thanks for the idea, but we tried it already and it made the problem worse. I think that the issue causing it is whatever issue is causing EVERYONE's 98-99 GS400 idle low.
Old 10-16-03, 10:28 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the idea, but we tried it already and it made the problem worse. I think that the issue causing it is whatever issue is causing EVERYONE's 98-99 GS400 idle low.
Do they make an Aem for the GS?

Quick Reply: Dyno Numbers are in (Tuned with S-AFC)