SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What do dislike about your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 11:51 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

IMO, it's a pretty good 4 seater sports coupe,... and it fo' damn sho' is miles away from an ES in terms of comfort in my opinion and class. I absolutely love how the plush leather seats feel in my car. I had an IS300 for about a week and a half, and I was like "dang this car is uncomfortable,.." and then when I got used to it,... and got mine back,... " dang, my car is supa dupa comfortable",... True, there's not a lot of mods out for 400's,...but enough for the avg person to do, and soon, if you're rich enough, a supercharger will be available. My only true gripe is my trunk is small, plus I have woofers and amps in there, and that doesn't help. But then consider a supra's trunk... it's wide, but shallow as hell for some unknown reason, so there is worse out there. The 300Z is the only sports car I've seen that a deep and wide trunk/hatch vs the other alternatives out there,... so I don't think this one weighs too heavily.

Awesome daily driver, and will whoop most cars on the road that aren't purebred monsters ( M5's, M3's, Vettes and so one)
Old 10-19-03, 12:02 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont like how heavy the doors are..
no leg room for rear passanager
how boaty and heavy the car is.
slow because of the weight
the motor is underpower
the weak flip out cup holder. put a cup in there, and make a turn, the cup would fly all over the place.
small glove compartment
Old 10-19-03, 12:50 PM
Enzo
Driver School Candidate

I cant stand the cheap plastic used in the center console around the gear shift. Even your finger nail will scratch this stuff. What were they thinking? Also the vinal used on the doors. Wish it was all leather.
Old 10-19-03, 01:39 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Enzo
I cant stand the cheap plastic used in the center console around the gear shift. Even your finger nail will scratch this stuff. What were they thinking? Also the vinal used on the doors. Wish it was all leather.
LOL they wanted it so people could afford it.. I am sure if all the vinyl was leather instead that would be quite a price increase, just guessing...

Shawn
Old 10-19-03, 03:23 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The farther this thread goes down, the more nitpicky stuff I see. Don't let that sway your decision. I love this car and am planning on selling this one for a newer one I like it so much. Just last night I was pumping gas and some dude and his wife roll up in a bling bling suv and compliment me on my car. Then they left.... they weren't even getting gas- they just pulled up to say props and then took off. Oh, and the best part is that I have a 93- 11 years old.

Last edited by TGRich; 10-19-03 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 04:37 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

complaints?...what complaints?...change those into compliments because, that is all this car deserves!
"the relentless pursuit of perfection" has been found!

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 10-19-03 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 07:14 PM
lilnard85
Rookie

I had mixed feeling abour my sc400 one time i wanted to get rid of it because it had to many miles and the seats where torn and somemore things, but ever time i go and drive and a car and i get back into my lexus it is like i want to slap my self in the head for thing i want to get ride of the lex. it just seems like to me that after a 134,000 miles it stills drive harder and better then some of the new cars out there.
Old 10-19-03, 08:36 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

The fact that I dont have the JDM version with the 1JZGTE, digital speedo, traction control, air suspension.....etc.. etc.. etc.......
Old 10-19-03, 09:27 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't like the tan interior - changed it to black
Didn't like the lines in the headlights - took them out
Underpowered NA motor - changed for Supra TT
Weight of the car - In the process of getting CF doors, hood, trunk, and racing seats.

Other than those things I LOVE my SC. Now with that stuff changed over I love it even more!
Old 10-19-03, 10:06 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

For me the only gripe is weight. Shed at least 400 pounds.

The only other cars I like as much are: 360 Modena and the new GT40
Old 10-20-03, 02:30 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
The fact that I dont have the JDM version with the 1JZGTE, digital speedo, .....etc.. etc.. etc.......

Oh yeah one more thing, I don't liek the fact that mine doesn't have TRC nor an LSD (it's an open wheeler)... Toyota should've made these two things stock on the twin turbos, it gets a lil sideways in the wet sometimes!
Old 10-20-03, 10:42 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

The center console is answer to most of your gripes.

Coin holder? there is two coin holders in the frotn part of the center consoles, enough to hold about 5 dollars in quarters!

No place for cell phone? Ok, if you have the integrated lexus cellular phone, use it. That thing rules. Get a cingular prepaid card and your good for several months. Just press 1-2 buttons on the steering module and you can call whoever you want and have them on speakerphone. Extremely impressive to freinds!

And if you dont have the integrated phone, your center console has assloads of room for a puny cell phone. My car has the integrated phone and i still have room in there for my sunglasses + case, a pack of gum under the phone, and random map/coupon/whatever in there. I do have to put my cell phone in the glovebox.

The car is NOT lacking in power. The earlier posts must be talking about SC300s. You can get yourself in a bad situation if you put the pedal down more than 3 seconds. 0-60 in 6.9 seconds is definitely NOT slow.

If your leather is splitting and tearing, you can buy a whole new set of OEM leather for the seats and center console for $550 off ebay. Simple as that.
Old 10-20-03, 12:24 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC400-V8
The car is NOT lacking in power. The earlier posts must be talking about SC300s. You can get yourself in a bad situation if you put the pedal down more than 3 seconds. 0-60 in 6.9 seconds is definitely NOT slow.

Okay grandpa...

Old 10-20-03, 12:28 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think the 96+ SC4's are neccasarilly lackin' in power, ... rather, they don' t have as much as I would like,... and hell, that statement is made relative to cars driving around in 2003. What cars back in those days came with more power that were comparable in price as well as quality?

I'm sure there are a few,... but not many... compare apples to apples...

my leather isn't rippin,... but i think that problem is inherent to leather period,..not the car..
Old 10-20-03, 12:53 PM
NRG
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TurboSC

Weight of the car - In the process of getting CF doors, hood, trunk, and racing seats.
That will put you at 3700lb still.. because of your swap

Originally posted by SC400-V8

just remember that you're also burnning twice as much gas. So in that 6.9 sec, you're doing 12mpg :P
that 6.9 sec is slow "now" but when the car came out, it was pretty much adverage.

cant wait till i get rid of my lex, just alittle lazy.. =\
im 19, time to move on to someone bigger and better..

Quick Reply: What do dislike about your SC?