SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What do dislike about your SC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 12:17 PM
oldmonk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy More headroom

The thing I dislike the most about the SC is the lack of adequate headroom for me.
Old 10-21-03, 12:19 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with you.

Many of you quoted 0-60mph and quarter mile numbers to justify a particular car's performance in comparison to the Lexus. This is a false assumption about a car's driving characteristic on the road.

The way magazines and various car manufacturers conduct a 0-60mph runs is by revving the engine to a higher RPM to match the optimal launching power point. Then the test driver would either dump the clutch or torque brake (on automatic transmission equipped cars) before he floors the gas pedal to get the best acceleration time.

The problem is, how many of us actually do this on the daily basis?

True, a Honda S2000 can do 0-60mph in less than 6sec. Maybe in mid. 5s on the hands of a skillful driver. But I'd bet I would smoke most of the S2000s on the road toay in my SC4. Not because the SC4 is a faster car, but because the auto transmission SC4 with a V8 is so much easier to pick up speed than any S2000 driven by an ordinary driver.

In addition, the SC4 has an edge over many cars with smaller engines such as the Integra GS-R. For example, a GS-R may be a tick or so faster than the older SC4, but imagine how much concentration, skill, and timing a GS-R driver has to utilize in order to properly launch this car and get the engine to the right RPM range in achieving its quoted 6.7sec time from 0-60mph.

My SC4 is simply faster than most cars on the road today (except for similarly equipped V8 cars with auto tranny of course) again, not because of its 6.9sec 0-60mph time. Instead, it's because cars with V8 engines and auto tranny are so much easier to drive/go fast than most of other cars with smaller engines.

That is why cops with V8 Crown Vics and Caprices are able to keep up with the bad guys in hot pursuits most of the time.

Jon

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Oh please... im 21 years old and not lacking in the testosterone either. All I can say is, Ive never lost a race on the highway and dont plan on it anytime soon, and ive raced assloads of acuras (they seem to be the only ones that want to race me?) Ok ok, so most of them were integras with a few TLs and TL-S mixed in, but 60-100 they really cant keep up.

Whoever said 0-60 in 6.9 seconds is "slow" now and "average" back in 92 isnt right. 0-60 in 6.9 back in 1992 was "incredibly good" and 0-60 in 6.9 now is "decent." Consider An Acura RSX, 3.2TL, CL, auroras, Q45, new Cadillac sevilles and eldos all do 0-60 between 6.5 -7 seconds... and they're all new. G35 sedans are hard pressed to get 0-60 as fast as us (the coupe is quicker)

Our top speed is very impressive also... many SC400 owners have topped out at over 150 mph, Ive heard a few reports of 152-155. If the SC400 had existed only 3 years earlier it would have been considered a supercar because of its top speed.

I must admit though, sometimes my car fails to impress me anymore (maybe about 25% of the time it doesnt) but alot of the other time it wows me still, especially on the highway, it pulls even in 4th gear.
Old 10-21-03, 12:43 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Thats absolutely right. Ironically, an SC400 launched at idle gets to 60 in 8 seconds flat... this is roughly a half second faster than an S2000 launched at idle! The only way to get the 5.5 second 0-60 the magazines give is to launch at a rediculously high 7,000 rpm, right next to the redline.

The best times achieved by road and track and motor trend involved power-braking the car to 2,000 rpms and then launching. They experienced minimal wheelspin and a few mags reported as low as 6.7 seconds doing this, and a 15.1 second 1/4 mile.

I recall my first race was vs. an integra gsR i believe. I pulled out onto the road and floored it, but unfortunately my car shifted into 2nd early and i was like "oh crap... im bogged in 2nd gear, he's got me for sure" Surely enough I could hear him maxxing out in first gear right behind me as I was pulling furthur and furthur away even with my car far from its powerband. Im sure most of you are familiar with the fact that all I ever seem to get the chance to race are Integras and a few TLs
Old 10-21-03, 12:50 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

One thing I forgot to mention was The high speed acceleration and how it is superior to so many cars. Ive driven cars that have good low end to them, but honestly, when you put the pedal down on an SC400 on the highway, all you hear is a gentle sound of tearing silk and the car just pulls right ahead. When you do that in most other cars all you get is ALOT of noise and speedo needle that barely moves. Integras are the cars that make lots of noise and dont move at roughly this speed.
Old 10-21-03, 12:55 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Once again, I agreed.

I just did the same thing to a GS-R three nights ago on FWY 99N in the Sacramento area.

Jon

Originally posted by SC400-V8
One thing I forgot to mention was The high speed acceleration and how it is superior to so many cars. Ive driven cars that have good low end to them, but honestly, when you put the pedal down on an SC400 on the highway, all you hear is a gentle sound of tearing silk and the car just pulls right ahead. When you do that in most other cars all you get is ALOT of noise and speedo needle that barely moves. Integras are the cars that make lots of noise and dont move at roughly this speed.
Old 10-21-03, 01:00 PM
BoNgBlAzE

All i have to say, is you guys must not be racing very fast cars if you think your 400 let alone 300 is faster than most cars. But the SC's are not meant to be sports cars, thats what the supra is for.
Old 10-21-03, 01:12 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

You misunderstood our posts. We're referring to street driving situations. Try dumping clutch or torque braking on the street or flooring a Supra gas pedal on the street and you'll have your license suspended in no time.

On the other hand, nothing is fast enough for the race track.

Jon

Originally posted by BoNgBlAzE
All i have to say, is you guys must not be racing very fast cars if you think your 400 let alone 300 is faster than most cars. But the SC's are not meant to be sports cars, thats what the supra is for.

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 10-21-03 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 01:16 PM
BoNgBlAzE

I dont understand what your saying. You would rather have a slow car but pretend its fast cause your afraid of getting a ticket?
Old 10-21-03, 01:19 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Put it less sophisticately in plainer English.

What I was saying is most drivers on the road today are not Schumacher and lack the skills to fully utilize their cars' potential.

In other words, cars that are easier to drive/go fast will win 90% of the time in the hands of ordinary drivers under ordinary circumstances.

Jon

I dont understand what your saying. You would rather have a slow car but pretend its fast cause your afraid of getting a ticket?

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 10-21-03 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 01:27 PM
BoNgBlAzE

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
Put it less sophisticately in plainer English.

What I was saying is most drivers on the road today are not Schumacher and lack the skills to fully utilize their cars' potential.

In other words, cars that are easier to drive/go fast will win 90% of the time in the hands of ordinary drivers under ordinary circumstances.

Jon
your right, you can beat 90% of the LS1's, Mustang GT's, supras, etc... because of your superior driving skills.
Old 10-21-03, 01:32 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that almost all of your grypes are fixable with aftermarket solutions. Well, SC300 more than SC400 (because a lot of people want more power). For example a lot of people complain about sluggish steering in both Supras and SC because of it's weight, etc etc. Recently I installed Daizen control arm bushings and with my KYB AGX my car turns on a dime.

Now, if you want bigger rear seats or trunk (small?) then you really purchased the wrong car ... ES300 or LS400 should have enough room for you.

I can only complain about a few things such as the center vent frame that keeps on breaking. It's a pain to replace and there is no permenent solution.
Old 10-21-03, 01:33 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Please read my posts again.

You do not need supeior English skills to understand the points I was trying to make.

Jon

your right, you can beat 90% of the LS1's, Mustang GT's, supras, etc... because of your superior driving skills.
Old 10-21-03, 01:35 PM
BoNgBlAzE

Please read my posts again.

You do not need supeior English skills to understand the points I was trying to make.

Jon

/yourself

obviously you have never ran into any real cars on the street

Last edited by BoNgBlAzE; 10-21-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 01:41 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

And obviously you lack sufficient skills in English.

Jon

/yourself

obviously you have never ran into any real cars on the street
Old 10-21-03, 01:42 PM
BoNgBlAzE

And obviously you lack sufficient skills in English.

Jon
That looks like an incomplete sentence to me.

:Owned:

Last edited by BoNgBlAzE; 10-21-03 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: What do dislike about your SC?