SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do you lie about year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 07:04 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was waiting in line the other day at the burger king drive thru, and this guy and his chick in a red/wood pt cruiser pulled up next to me and asked if i had the car imported or if it was a new model for 2004, and this is the typical reaction i get, actually, since i rebadged my sc into a soarer. but, despite temptation, i told the truth about the make/model and year. im proud that my 96 is in such shape that people think its brand new
Old 10-20-03, 07:21 PM
claus44
Driver

I think it's more honorable to own a like new car that is at least 6 years old than just owning a $50k+ new car. Proud of my 92 and really appreciate the previous owners too!
Old 10-20-03, 07:33 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Overclocker
I have the 2000 front end on my '92 and tell people at meets the truth. But I tell the casual person a little white lie.
Hehe, how embarassing would that be to say you had a 2000 if yours was really a 1992 and that person knew something about the car and pointed out your lack of passenger side airbag, a distinguishing mark of a 92.
Old 10-21-03, 03:33 PM
the hustler07
Lead Lap

Default mileage

I guess none of you guys lie about mileage also?
Old 10-21-03, 04:04 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only have 86666miles as of 5 minutes ago on my 92... so nope... don't lie about that one either.
Old 10-21-03, 06:21 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Hermosa
Hehe, how embarassing would that be to say you had a 2000 if yours was really a 1992 and that person knew something about the car and pointed out your lack of passenger side airbag, a distinguishing mark of a 92.
Or worst yet if he ran into a SC aficianado that asked what happened to the 3spoke steering wheel, gated shifter, and preforated leather!!

In the long run it just doesnt pay to lie. I tell folks the absolute truth about EVERYTHING, year, mileage, how rough the ride is on the Brooklyn streets, whateva man!
Old 10-22-03, 02:53 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, no lying. No need to when I get people telling me it looks like a 97 (I have a 93) and people who pull into the gas station when I'm filling up for the sole purpose of saying I have a nice ride.
Old 10-22-03, 02:56 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't think anyone would care what year it was. A lexus is a lexus.
Old 10-23-03, 10:12 AM
jewelerz
Rookie

I tell people what year my car is in a minute. I take it that the reason that they ask is because they know its an older car but shock at how good of shape that its in.
Old 10-23-03, 10:19 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by jewelerz
they know its an older car but shock at how good of shape that its in.
Thats a good point man, many of us car NUTS may discount the common guys knowledge of cars!
Old 10-23-03, 10:41 AM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by verylost
I didn't think anyone would care what year it was. A lexus is a lexus.
It goes to show the longevity and prestige of the Lexus brand. Even if it's an old car.
Old 10-23-03, 12:19 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by tggoodrich
and people who pull into the gas station when I'm filling up for the sole purpose of saying I have a nice ride.
Down here in south Florida, they do that too. But the next thing out of their mouth is "now gimme the car or I'm gonna shoot ya" LOL

If people ask the year, I tell em. I like older cars better anyways.

SR

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 10-23-03 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-24-03, 07:37 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
Down here in south Florida, they do that too. But the next thing out of their mouth is "now gimme the car or I'm gonna shoot ya" LOL

SR

You guys think you have it rough down there? Push a Lex thru Redhook, College Point, Harlem, etc. DGOT will confirm this, there's burned out hulks of stripped cars under every friggin' bridge in Brooklyn. I remember one morning on the way to the Verrazano I noticed it took the cops two extended flatbeds and a towtruck to take away all the stripped cars that had been left there the night before....you can tell they're fresh because they haven't started to surface rust where the paints been burned away. As for you guys lying about year and mileage, it is PATHETIC...I will call you a clown right to your face, stop fakin' the funk.
By the way, I think it's cool you guys get comments on your cars, that doesn't really happen to me, maybe I should turn the volume down??
Old 10-24-03, 08:29 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
husler and clocker, you should be ashamed of yourselves

How shallow can you get?
Get off your soapbox. You yourself have bent the truth about nitrus on your cars when you street raced.

My front end is a 2000, but I have the 92 tail lights. I'm straight with car people, but they average person doesn't know and doesn't care.
Old 10-24-03, 09:43 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Overclocker
Get off your soapbox. You yourself have bent the truth about nitrus on your cars when you street raced.

My front end is a 2000, but I have the 92 tail lights. I'm straight with car people, but they average person doesn't know and doesn't care.

That's got to be the worst analogy i've seen in awhile. Part of staying ahead in racing (professionally and on the street) is keeping your competitors from knowing your exact combination...no one ever really knew exactly what I ran, I tried to keep it as secret as the formula for Coca-Cola . There is a world of difference between that and having someone ask if the car is a 2000 and saying....uh, yeah, it is. Anyone that does that is a looooser. I also have the newer front but i've never been phony by lying about my year or mileage, i'm not saying that you do but your responses seem to suggest you don't have a problem with that. It upsets me that this thread even exists.

Quick Reply: Do you lie about year?