Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

FLashing AC light cuts off after a few minutes 1994 300 SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 08:11 AM
JLB1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLashing AC light cuts off after a few minutes 1994 300 SC

Hello, I just got the 94 300 SC runs great. Im a HS Automotive teacher so I looked over the car faily well. The only problem i have come across has been the quitting of the AC clutch and the flashing AC light. I checked the AC pressures and when the clutch is engaged the pressures are great 40 low 200 high cools great. I have read on the ES model forums about the magnetic clutch relay problem. I checked my relay but my relay has a 2010 number instead of the 2022 number. not sure if its this is just a matter of replacing the relay with the new 2098 number. Can anyone help. after reading your forums it sounds like there is a lot of information provided here so thats why i came to your forum. thank you for any support. JB
Old 06-23-09, 10:33 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try replacing your compressor boss, sounds like the clutch died on you. look to see if the compressor pully is spining when a/c is turned on
Old 06-24-09, 05:51 AM
JLB1010
Driver School Candidate

Compressor engages and the AC cools for a about 8 seconds then the AC light starts to blink and the clutch disengages and it stops cooling. If i click the AC switch off and back on it cools again then AC clutch disengages again. freon pressure appear to be ok while i can catch the AC gauges working as the compressor is engaged. I tried to see about a code but the AC/Heater control display is shot so I can't read any codes. I'm working on getting a good working LED display. Any know if there has been issues with the AC clutchs on these cars. or possibly the AC clutch relay all help will be greatly appreciated Thank you JB
Old 06-24-09, 06:24 AM
EL MOSTRO
Pole Position

bro same thing happen to me, i just replace my compressor, my ac was working for like 8 sec then the light start flashing, is the compressor wheel stop working
Old 06-24-09, 06:25 AM
EL MOSTRO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by topdog849
try replacing your compressor boss, sounds like the clutch died on you. look to see if the compressor pully is spining when a/c is turned on
i agree with you
Old 06-24-09, 08:13 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Yup compressor is shot. You should check the relay anyway, but..............
Old 06-24-09, 10:24 AM
JLB1010
Driver School Candidate

Ok I'll try the Compressor. anyone know of a place to buy the compressor at a fair price. not a used unit but a new compressor???? thanks for all the help JB
Old 06-25-09, 09:47 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Not so fast...

If the AC is working, even if only for 8 seconds, then the compressor is working. On second number 9, maybe all that's going wrong is that the juice to the clutch quits. That would mean a climate-control circuitry problem, not a compressor problem.

Hildi had a similar problem with her car:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...de-43-fix.html

She was getting repair estimates well into the 4 digit range.
But one smart tech suggested bypassing the prob, rather than fixing it.
Within minutes he had run a bypass switch to the AC compressor, allowing her to hit the switch whenever she wanted the AC on.
All other climate controls still work as before.
Problem bypassed for 1/20 the cost of fixing it.

It's worth a try.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-25-09 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-26-09, 01:09 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

had the same prob.... changed the compressor and all was fixed
Old 06-26-09, 03:41 PM
dbullen
Pole Position

I had a similar problem in my LS400 and it was the compressor. However I also had a similar problem in my Subaru which ended up being a circuit problem and the tech ended up wiring the A/C to the Cooling fan relay or something. A/C worked fine then but cut out at 70mph (when the cooling fan no longer cycled)
Old 06-29-09, 04:19 PM
JLB1010
Driver School Candidate

WOW ok. Interesting thankl you. I tried reading the codes off the Climate controller but could net see them since the climate controller's LED is shot. I have ordered one but has not come in. I have priced a new Compressor with clutch vs a Remanufactored compressor. I'm better off with the new one. The compressor is noisy and probably should be replaced anyways. Interesting thought about bypassing the onboard system and seeing if in fact is stays working. After all the tesing it seems to be the compressor clutch that may be shorting out. As soon as the climate controller comes in Ill test and see. I keep a posting of the outcome. Everyone thanks for your help.

JB
Old 10-10-23, 02:14 PM
annonymous99
9th Gear

Default Need some input hopefuly there are some vehicle A/C techs on here.

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
If the AC is working, even if only for 8 seconds, then the compressor is working. On second number 9, maybe all that's going wrong is that the juice to the clutch quits. That would mean a climate-control circuitry problem, not a compressor problem.

Hildi had a similar problem with her car:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...de-43-fix.html

She was getting repair estimates well into the 4 digit range.
But one smart tech suggested bypassing the prob, rather than fixing it.
Within minutes he had run a bypass switch to the AC compressor, allowing her to hit the switch whenever she wanted the AC on.
All other climate controls still work as before.
Problem bypassed for 1/20 the cost of fixing it.

It's worth a try.
I have a code 43 and randomly the compressor turns off and ac light starts blinking. Where does one wire a bypass switch to propperly bypass and other than having an extra switch is there any downside IE does the system still engage and disengage if overtemp or some issue occurs? IE any safety mechanisms? Not really worried about gas milage. Also I am wondering if it would be just easter to jump the stupid relay and if any resistence is used in the relay. It would at least prove is the relay is being disengaged since I have replaced the relay with a new Denso 567-0004 and that did not help.