SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another attempt at DIY 92-94 taillights...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 02:15 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another attempt at DIY 92-94 taillights...

Hey everyone, I am in the process of doing a clear/red conversion for the 92-94 tails. My goal is to bring some new ideas of doing this DIY. I think this idea has been mentioned before, but nobody was dumb enough to spend that much on some altezza tails haha . Although the materials are somewhat costly, hope it will give another option to the SC enthusiasts.

Materials:
Red taillight spray $25 (2 may be needed) or Red tint
92-94 taillights $100 ($0 if you use your own set)
Altezza taillights $140 (way cheaper if you can find a used set)

The main idea of this DIY is to use remove the outer lens of the stock tails and replace it with the clear lens of the altezza tails. Yes it is pretty time consuming because you have to bake 4 tails . Anyways, I have decided to paint the bottom half of the diffuser with the red taillight spray. Other ideas I had were to paint the bottom half of the outer lens red. If you paint the outer lens make sure you assemble the tails before you paint because I am not sure how much temperature the paint can take. This is where this idea gives you alot of combinations. Other ways of painting the diffuser are smoke/red, smoke/smoke, red/red, or leave it clear/clear(illegal!) . Another combo is to paint the top half of diffuser smoke/bottom half of outer lens red.

Issue:
A problem that I am still trying to figure out is the reverse light. The altezza outer lens does not have the rectangular reverse light part. Without this piece you would be able to see the reverse light bulb and thats not what I want. Depending on the color combo, there are different options. For my combo of painting the bottom half of the diffuser red, I can dremel out the reverse light reflector from the stock lens and place it on the inside so it looks like stock. I can also lightly smoke the that reflector as well if I wanted to. Another alternative is to use some frost vinyl like Sc400on20s used HERE

Will update with pics and more info as I progress, wish me luck.
Old 04-26-07, 02:29 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a pic of the aftermarket lens? will this fit on the light like the stock lens?
Old 04-26-07, 02:39 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

From eyeing it, it looks like it will fit, but I'll let you know because I have not taken them apart yet.
Old 04-26-07, 05:58 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Update: Unfortunately the outer lens of the altezza lights DO NOT fit! The altezza ones are to thin. The oem ones protrude out a bit so that the diffuser can fit, but the altezza ones cannot hold the diffuser. Therefore, this project is down the hole haha.
Old 04-26-07, 06:17 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc300max
Update: Unfortunately the outer lens of the altezza lights DO NOT fit! The altezza ones are to thin. The oem ones protrude out a bit so that the diffuser can fit, but the altezza ones cannot hold the diffuser. Therefore, this project is down the hole haha.
Awww... that blows. Do you have any other plans with the lense?
Old 04-26-07, 06:49 PM
ant1k
Lead Lap

just buy those crappy altezza ones even though they are super expensive for generic crap. color one half red with vinyl or jdm red smoke spray.. , smoke the other half or put a slight clear coat on it so its not so thin and maybe put a clear frost piece inside to to hide the bulbs. put a divider going horizonatally to separate the two halves of the light or use the internal pieces from your 92 tails. and put a custom led configuration in it. just run the wires in and youd have an even sweeter custom 1/2 red 1/2 clear setup. i talk to much, haha i have never attempted it but thats my theory, or the route id go if i did , but i like the 97 tails better anyways, the red/clear looks too much like a prelude.
Old 04-26-07, 07:43 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ant1k
just buy those crappy altezza ones even though they are super expensive for generic crap. color one half red with vinyl or jdm red smoke spray.. , smoke the other half or put a slight clear coat on it so its not so thin and maybe put a clear frost piece inside to to hide the bulbs. put a divider going horizonatally to separate the two halves of the light or use the internal pieces from your 92 tails. and put a custom led configuration in it. just run the wires in and youd have an even sweeter custom 1/2 red 1/2 clear setup. i talk to much, haha i have never attempted it but thats my theory, or the route id go if i did , but i like the 97 tails better anyways, the red/clear looks too much like a prelude.
That is exactly what I have always thought. Hopefully they eventually get cheap.
Old 04-26-07, 08:43 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

sounds intresting, id realy like to see it, but i think the my all time 92-94 tail mod has to be
Old 04-26-07, 08:48 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by $C300
sounds intresting, id realy like to see it, but i think the my all time 92-94 tail mod has to be
Didn't they just remove the deflector? *Or w/e that thing is called?
Old 04-26-07, 08:50 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

i beleve so
Old 04-26-07, 10:05 PM
JamaicanSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by $C300
I love that look, I've been trying to do the same thing with mine. Is there a how to? The original tails colors look a bit dated and stale I would really love to upgrade my baby.
Old 04-26-07, 10:45 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

ChronoJ1: Nope, no other plans with the lenses at the moment. I just have 4 harnesses, one untouched good altezza lamp, and opened up oem taillights laying around hah. So if anyone needs any of these let me know and I'll let them go for cheap haha.

ant1k: Good ideas, but that sounds like too much work already with adding the led setup. Switching lenses and doing some painting would not have been too hard, but did not work out. It is also a PITA to take the lenses off the altezzas and very hard to keep it from cracking.

Hope one day somebody will come up with a somewhat simple DIY to the clear/red on these tails.
Old 04-27-07, 05:41 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just put on the altezza's and call it a day!

Old 04-27-07, 06:53 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Haha I think I would rather roll around with clear tails like this

Old 04-27-07, 09:56 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JamaicanSC
I love that look, I've been trying to do the same thing with mine. Is there a how to? The original tails colors look a bit dated and stale I would really love to upgrade my baby.

I would love to know how he removed the diffuser on the tail.

Quick Reply: Another attempt at DIY 92-94 taillights...