SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Heated Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-08, 03:47 PM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Seats?

Did a search and can't find anything, so I figured I'd make a topic. My heated seats in my '99 SC3 don't want to work. Being in Minnesota, heated seats are a godsend.

I tried swapping out the fuse even though it looked fine and that didn't seem to help. I THINK I got the right fuse even though it's not really in the same place as it says in the manual or on the back of the fuse cover - it's not in the main fuse block, rather upper-right of it (2 15s - other one apparently for the fogs).

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-21-08, 04:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

you can't solve everything with a fuse.

You can't make your climate lights come back on with a fuse, You can't make your airbag light go off with a fuse, and you can't make your heated seats work with a fuse. Reason being, that %^& is broke!

Much like defroster lines on the window, heated seats have the same things inside the seat. after years of plopping down on them, they give it up to the ghost as the lines crack. You should remove the heating unit grid and see what kind of shape it is in and if it can be repaired and saved before replaced.
Old 10-21-08, 05:10 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Oh come on OLT everything is fixed by a fuse.lol NOT! See if there is power coming from the body harness to that connector. If there is power coming from the connector it might should be a heater module malfunction.
Old 10-21-08, 05:25 PM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

All electrical problems should be fixed via fuse because that's about the extent of my knowledge when it comes to electrical stuff in my car

I have no clue how to do either of those things you gents are suggesting. I'll prob just live with it. I'll only be in MN for this one last winter anyway ..Kinda sad though - the heated seats in my '98 ES lasted 150k+ miles. These crapped out before 74k (bought it then.. couple months ago).

I can tell you that when I flip the switches for them, the light indicating they're on does come on. Also, they both don't work. So I'm assuming it's whatever is powering them. Maybe something is disconnected under there? Problem is, I don't know how to get under there. I was proud of myself when I removed my trunk lining and unhooked my 3rd brake light..........................

Last edited by Jeembo; 10-21-08 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-21-08, 05:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeembo
Also, they both don't work. So I'm assuming it's whatever is powering them. Maybe something is disconnected under there?
Amazingly they are also the same age! Up north the corrosion from salt in the air coming off the great lakes, cold weather, lots of rain and such....... electronics don't have a chance.

..... I buy cars locally
Old 10-22-08, 09:48 AM
ChiTown400
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I have a 99 SC400 with 87k on it. I purchased it a year and half ago from a guy that drove it almost exclusively solo. The interior is in mint shape and the seats are great as well. Both heated seats do not seem to work. The lighted switches light up and I could find no magic fuses to replace to resussitate my seats. I could believe that the driver seat lost its conductivity but the passenger seat as well? can it be an age thing and not so much a seat time issue? What is this controller that I heard mentioned? Does it handle both seats? Is there any recommended ohm readings for the heater elements that we could check? I would really like to toast my buns this winter, it gets cold here in Chicago as well.
Old 10-22-08, 07:47 PM
bzubke1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Amazingly they are also the same age! Up north the corrosion from salt in the air coming off the great lakes, cold weather, lots of rain and such....... electronics don't have a chance.

..... I buy cars locally
I'm pretty sure there's no salt in the great lakes it's the salt they put on the roads in the winter that tears up the cars there.
Old 10-24-08, 10:12 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bzubke1
I'm pretty sure there's no salt in the great lakes it's the salt they put on the roads in the winter that tears up the cars there.
LOL I didn't notice that.. Funny stuff.

But yeah.. the only salt we get is on the roads and that generally doesn't break any electronics that aren't exposed to the road. The only salt issues that are prominent here is rust around the bottom of the cars. Nice to hear I'm not the only one having this problem though.