Factory sub location

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 06:58 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nlc
CMH..any pics?
nope but ill take some... the car is in the shop now cuz the rear window broke...lol.. window guy said it was unrelated to the sub. he said its been happining a lot now cuz of the heat.
Old 09-16-11, 08:00 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I think that would be a great idea, but you may just be happier with modifying the trim piece to fit the new sub. That may be too much bass for you with something in the trunk, plus it will take up more room. Theres only enough room for my golf clubs in there now!
^^ This

I made a trim ring with MDF and used the stock mounting bracket to be able to use the stock cover. 10 def fits but You want a mounting depth of about 4.5" or lower to not hit the gas tank
Old 09-16-11, 08:42 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a non free air sub and put it in the stock location. I had to use an MDF spacer of about an inch to clear the gas tank. The grill kind of fits. But the sub definitely doesn't sound quite right.
Old 09-17-11, 04:11 AM
xNewportx
Driver School Candidate

I wanna through a new ten in my sc400 aswell .... I wish someone would have taken some measurements I'm hoping to use a ten i have laying around

anyone still running the stock headunit with there sub mod...im wondering if the 12disk cd changer can handle the vibrations
Old 09-17-11, 09:31 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the mounting depth of the sub i threw in was 4-13/16" in, and i had to use about 1 inch of an mdf spacer to get it off the gas tank. The grill barely fits.
Old 09-17-11, 12:29 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pm prs 22 he's got a nice setup
Old 09-17-11, 05:52 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scviolence
pm prs 22 he's got a nice setup
Haha...thanks for thinking about me brotha

I've got a Pioneer 10" sub in the stock location. Gives me just enough thump I need. Had to put a piece of wood in the stock sub location to raise the aftermarket sub enough to be flush. You can't see the wood because it is covered in the black speaker trim which gives it all a complete stock look. No complaints whatsoever on the change.

Just take an MDF board about 1" thick and use the outline of the sub you buy to make a trace. Once the trace is on the MDF cut the middle out, paint it black and stick it around the opening of the stock sub location. Then drop the new sub in there and put the rear deck back over the top. This works well if you reupholster the rear deck because you just cut the material to just barely let the new sub fit and then stuff underneath the sub the excess material.

I personally could not fit the old stock sub cover over this new sub, but I'm not complaining because I like to see my sub and think it goes well with the rest of my interior.

I may have more information on it if you check out my build thread in my sig. Just getting tired of copying and pasting the same info in all these different threads....but I still love you guys...haha (no homo)
Old 09-17-11, 10:27 PM
Billy305
Advanced

P.R.S. Can you answer just a few questions of mine because I really like your setup!
This is what I currently have, a coustic 10 inch sub that sounds great but this is how I have it mounted:

As you can imagine it may sound good but it looks terrible.

1) I assume in the pic you just showed you did the reupholster with the extra fabric tucked it correct?

2) Did you make the square about the size of the hole I have around the sub in my picture?

3) You did not use any part of the factory sub mount?

4) If not how did you attach the wood tho the metal on the rear deck and once installed how did you screw the sub down in to the MDF. I cant seem to fit any kind of tools besides the smallest hand tools back there because of the rear glass.

5 Lastly do you have any kind of rattling?

I attached my ring to the factory sub mount to clear the basket on the sub and the gas tank but now I cant use the factory cover or make it clean because it puts it at a slant compared to the rear deck. This made it east though because I could attach the sub outside of the car and then just drop the sub mount in and rachet it down with the factory bolts... still learning!
Old 09-19-11, 05:24 AM
xNewportx
Driver School Candidate

Wow major difference between the last 2 pics of the factory sub mod scares me in a few of my future plans. I hope to get mine to look like P.R.S's also cant wait to hear answers to the questions from bill
Old 09-19-11, 11:44 AM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Billy305
P.R.S. Can you answer just a few questions of mine because I really like your setup!
This is what I currently have, a coustic 10 inch sub that sounds great but this is how I have it mounted:

As you can imagine it may sound good but it looks terrible.

1) I assume in the pic you just showed you did the reupholster with the extra fabric tucked it correct?

2) Did you make the square about the size of the hole I have around the sub in my picture?

3) You did not use any part of the factory sub mount?

4) If not how did you attach the wood tho the metal on the rear deck and once installed how did you screw the sub down in to the MDF. I cant seem to fit any kind of tools besides the smallest hand tools back there because of the rear glass.

5 Lastly do you have any kind of rattling?

I attached my ring to the factory sub mount to clear the basket on the sub and the gas tank but now I cant use the factory cover or make it clean because it puts it at a slant compared to the rear deck. This made it east though because I could attach the sub outside of the car and then just drop the sub mount in and rachet it down with the factory bolts... still learning!
Haha...I am always more than willing to help out fellow SC enthusiasts with any questions I may be able to answer Glad you like my setup I wanted it to be as factory looking as possible but with a little bit of something to make it seem like this may have all been options giving to us from Lexus at the dealership. I love the way my sub looks so why not show it off? Haha....

I will go ahead and answer your questions in the order it was presented:

1. You are correct. I made sure to tell my reupholster guy to leave enough extra material in the middle so we could tuck in the excess material underneath the new sub once everything was back into place.

2. Yes I did make the square to be about the same size as the hole you have around the sub in your pic.

3. Correct...as far as I can remember I did not use any part of the factory sub mount because the sub simply would not fit that way. When I tried to do it that way the sub was not sitting flush at all in the stock hole. So I had to raise it up with the MDF in order for the sub to have a place to sit nice and flush.

4. I believe the wood is attached to the rear deck with simply some double sided 3M tape if you can believe it...haha. Like you said it is impossible to get any tools back there so I had to improvise and go with the next best thing.

I attached the sub to the wood by taking out the screws you see around the ring of the sub and placing longer screws in their place in order to secure the sub to the wood.

Once everything was back in there and in it's place I had a very "slight" rattle that after all this time (mind you I did this mod at least a year...maybe two years ago) I finally took care of. Before you put the rear deck back up in it's place dynomat the crap out of the rear deck.

Believe me I just did it several weeks ago and it definitely made a difference in the way my bass sounds now. Definitely a little more crisp and I was able to get rid of the small rattling sound I had so I couldn't be more happier

If there are any more questions you have feel free to let me know. Goodluck and keep up the good work
Old 09-19-11, 01:39 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Im still confused about the screws. Did you screw the sub in to the mdf first and then tape it all in first or did you put the wood in first then screw the sub in. I dont see how to work the screws with that little bit of space
Old 09-19-11, 11:44 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Billy305
Im still confused about the screws. Did you screw the sub in to the mdf first and then tape it all in first or did you put the wood in first then screw the sub in. I dont see how to work the screws with that little bit of space
I think I put the wood in first (with the double sided tape under it) but had the wood pre-drilled already. Mind you the pre-drilled holes were smaller than the screw I was going to put in...so they would still bite the wood. Made it a little easier to screw in...but I also have an angle hand power drill so that helped too...haha.