SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My New 1999 Sc400 And A Few Modifications - Apple TV, Navigation, Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 02:24 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My New 1999 Sc400 And A Few Modifications - Apple TV, Navigation, Audio Upgrades

This is my first post here at Club Lexus, so I thought I would share my few mods I've done to my SC.

After a loooong search for a newer SC400 I finally found a 1999 Silver on Black with 60k miles. The first thing I did right off the bat was replace the factory rims with chrome 17" GS350 wheels. Next it was time for an upgrade of the audio system.

The equipment to be installed.

I chose the AVN5510 as my source unit for it's excellent sound quality and 5 volt preouts. I chose the Alpine MRP-F300 and MRP-M500 amplifiers for their size as they are mounted under the parcel shelf. For speakers I upgraded the factory 4" speakers to Infinty Kappa 6.5" components up front and Kappa 6.5" speakers in the rear. For some nice sounding low end I chose a single Alpine 12" Type R subwoofer and it works very nicely with the MRP-M500 amp.

I had done a few installations of the Viper 5901 and really liked the range and the way remote works and functions, so to protect and warm up my SC400 the Viper was the way to go. Also, the new integrated remote start relay pack and on-board shock sensor made installation a breeze and allows for a nice clean install. Along with the Viper 5901 I added the Viper SmartStart for infinite range for the Remote start with the iPhone application, it's also a simple single connection add on to most newer Viper remote starts.

I used the new Metra 95-8157B dash kit for a nice clean factory look. I also decided to remove the factory volume **** and after hours of sanding, filling, and painting I was able to get a nice factory paint and texture match.

For the Alpine Type R I used a sealed custom box designed to fit nicely in the left corner corner of the trunk, it provides .75 cubic feet of airspace and also is a good match for the Alpine sub.

Finally for multimedia integration I chose to install an Apple TV for it's nice clean interface and simple to use remote control. The installation of the Apple TV was fairly straightforward. The components used for the install were an Apple TV, power inverter, Jobsite IR repeater(operates off 12 volts DC), component to composite video adapter(from svideo.com), ground loop isolator, and several sets of well shielded RCAs for audio and video to the Eclipse Navigation unit. The Apple TV is installed in the location of the factory amplifier and cd changer. To mount the equipment I cut a piece of 3/4" MDF to fit the corner of the trunk and mounted the Apple TV to it. The install turned out pretty clean considering the amount of components that needed to be installed. The IR receiver is mounted to the right of the navigation unit just below the glove compartment.

To cover the factory changer opening I fabricated a matching cover for the opening that can be removed for easy access to the Apple TV. Here's a picture with the trunk still partially disassembled.

Here's a picture of the Apple TV booting.

And a picture in the song selection menu.

The Apple TV works really well, the only downside is my Eclipse Nav unit's low resolution display that can make some small text hard to read. It also is currently set to boot when the car is on and takes about 20 seconds to start up which is pretty reasonable and Apple remote works great with the Jobsite repeater.

Soon I will be changing the AVN5510 for a Pioneer AVIC-Z110bt to have a nicer resolution display and a bit more up-to-date interface.

Anyways, there's a current list of modifications I've done to my vehicle so far. As a long time reader of the CL forums thanks for all the inspiration!

Last edited by Scotty; 03-10-10 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 02:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Looks clean, i have a similar setup but I use a modded xbox with a wireless controller.
Old 12-08-09, 02:37 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's nice man! Care to share the purchase price with me? Only reason i ask is because I'm in the market for the same car and condition.
Old 12-08-09, 02:39 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

wow. I think you'll fit in pretty well, here.
Old 12-08-09, 02:41 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woow love the apple tv idea! But why spend so much money on viper smartstart? When you get a compustar or similar brand, the lcd remote does everything doesn't it?
Old 12-08-09, 02:44 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

wow thats creatively nice. cool good job. and welcome to CL.
Old 12-08-09, 02:56 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice ride man and good job on that audio setup. that eclipse unit seems to be the way to go...
Old 12-08-09, 03:46 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Wow.. what a start... Welcome to the board!
Old 12-08-09, 03:53 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pirate400
That's nice man! Care to share the purchase price with me? Only reason i ask is because I'm in the market for the same car and condition.
I paid a bit more than I would have liked. It was $13,000 but I really wanted a '99 or '00 and very few were made those years and it's even harder to find a lower mileage one.
Old 12-08-09, 04:02 PM
Scotty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FormosaSC
Woow love the apple tv idea! But why spend so much money on viper smartstart? When you get a compustar or similar brand, the lcd remote does everything doesn't it?
I wanted a two way LCD remote as well so I chose the Viper 5701 Remote Start/Alarm and added VSM1000 SmartStart unit. So I have both the LCD remote and iPhone app to operate my remote start.

Originally Posted by scviolence
nice ride man and good job on that audio setup. that eclipse unit seems to be the way to go...
Yeah, I love the audio quality of the Eclipse. However, the user interface is decent but a bit dated and the screen resolution is only 400x232.
Old 12-08-09, 05:43 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Clean install and great start! I wish i could have gotten a 99 or 00 SC haha.
Old 12-08-09, 06:29 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I think you just blew my carputer out of the water.....haha. Very well done so far!!! Great job on the volume delete, the apple tv looks great along with the installation of all the audio components. I am overall blown away by the work put in!!!

Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the car. Honestly all you need is a drop and maybe some bigger rims in the future but after what you have just done just sit back, relax, and enjoy the car.

Just out of curiosity....why didn't you go with a fully custom carputer setup? Seems like you know what your doing and with the carputer there is no limit to its capabilities.
Old 12-08-09, 06:34 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Looks excellent. Any reason why you chose the Apple tv rather than the Mac Mini? I have the Eclipse 5500 and I am about to add a Mac Mini. Wondering if the Apple TV had any specific advantages.

Old 12-08-09, 06:52 PM
RjBLayz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great start! good job n welcome!
Old 12-08-09, 07:06 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Great work, looks awesome! I like the apple TV idea a lot. Keep us updated on the progress!

Quick Reply: My New 1999 Sc400 And A Few Modifications - Apple TV, Navigation, Audio Upgrades