SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cat Removal/ Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 11:32 AM
Confusion
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Removal/ Delete

Is this safe to do?, being this is my daily driver car. Will I get a CEL in the future if I decide to delete one of the cats? and is it worth it? Will it free up alot of HP?
Old 01-20-10, 11:38 AM
Papajorgio
Advanced

no horsepower gain or check engine light, but you do get a nice little growl out of it when you WOT cheap but satisfying mod

edit: heres an old clip when i had the stock exhaust with both resonators and one cat deleted http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8x...aust-clip_auto

Last edited by Papajorgio; 01-20-10 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 11:43 AM
Confusion
Rookie

Originally Posted by sueno2jz
no horsepower gain or check engine light, but you do get a nice little growl out of it when you WOT cheap but satisfying mod
hey I'm from hawaii too, I thought I was the only one from there haha. I was thinking of changing the piping to 2.5 and probably deleting mufflers, not too sure on deleting cats
Old 01-20-10, 11:49 AM
Pspice
Lead Lap

no hp gains from deleted cats?
in ma cars older than 95 dont need to pass emissions
so i was going to delete all cats n res when i jump to 3" exhaust
Old 01-20-10, 12:18 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no cats or resonators on my na-t 3'' turbo-back, still has a nice smooth sound, and not too loud at all. No CEL, should free up some power, but not enough to mention or feel.
Old 01-20-10, 12:24 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

if it's just one of the cats likely no CEL will pop up. If it does come on, it will have no effect on performance.
Old 01-20-10, 12:42 PM
Confusion
Rookie

well I'm n/a, if I decide to delete a cat, which one should I delete? and will upgrading to 2.5 help? and I want a nice growl but not too loud, so I don't know whether to delete my mufflers or resonators, I saw a couple clips on youtube and I like the sound with mufflers deleted
Old 01-20-10, 12:44 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sound of mufflers deleted will be LOUD
Old 01-20-10, 12:47 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

I would just delete your stock resonators and put some Magnaflow mufflers on or something if you are going for just noise. You aren't going to get much performance out of deleting just a cat or other select parts off the exhaust on these cars. Even if you replace the whole exhaust from the headers back to the mufflers on an NA car with our SCs, you aren't going to see much power gained. If you want serious good sounding power/sound, boost your car!!!! But if you want just a little rumble compared to stock, do what I did, which is what I said above. Delete stock resonators and put on Magnaflows or some other kind of mufflers. My car has a nice deep/low rumble to it. Not too loud at all.
Old 01-20-10, 12:49 PM
Confusion
Rookie

Originally Posted by rooticon
I would just delete your stock resonators and put some Magnaflow mufflers on or something if you are going for just noise. You aren't going to get much performance out of deleting just a cat or other select parts off the exhaust on these cars. Even if you replace the whole exhaust from the headers back to the mufflers on an NA car with the SCs, you aren't going to see much power gained. If you want serious good sounding power/sound, boost your car!!!! But if you want just a little rumble compared to stock, do what I did, which is what I said above. Delete stock resonators and put on Magnaflows or some other kind of mufflers. My car has a nice deep/low rumble to it. Not too loud at all.
Thank you!, well if a full complete exhaust will just get 9 hp, I ain't gonna go through it, maybe I'll just go for sound then
Old 01-20-10, 12:50 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
sound of mufflers deleted will be LOUD
+1

My brother deleted the resonator first and that gave a nice purr..
Old 01-20-10, 12:52 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Confusion
Thank you!, well if a full complete exhaust will just get 9 hp, I ain't gonna go through it, maybe I'll just go for sound then
Yeah that's what I would do. It sounds good man, get some Magnaflow mufflers or Tanabe axlebacks on there without the stock resonators and it WILL sound good. Trust me, everyone says my ***** sounds good lol. It's just that I've asked the same question a million times on here and everyone has always told me you won't get much power or any for that matter without turboing these cars. But it is true though, it's just I don't have the money to boost my car... yet.
Old 01-20-10, 01:09 PM
Confusion
Rookie

Yeah that's what I would do. It sounds good man, get some Magnaflow mufflers or Tanabe axlebacks on there without the stock resonators and it WILL sound good. Trust me, everyone says my ***** sounds good lol. It's just that I've asked the same question a million times on here and everyone has always told me you won't get much power or any for that matter without turboing these cars. But it is true though, it's just I don't have the money to boost my car... yet.
okay thanks for all the feedback guys, maybe just some new axlebacks and deleted resonators is the route Im gonna go
Old 01-20-10, 02:34 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nur specs for the win
Old 01-20-10, 02:41 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a video of what it sounds like...

SC400 (1uzfe v8) with magnaflow resonators in place of the Stock mufflers, Stock resonator Delete, with Center cat delete.....

Go to the end of the video, i rev it

Quick Reply: Cat Removal/ Delete