SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Distributor in way of turbo breather. Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 07:24 PM
eagles22mh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor in way of turbo breather. Any help?

I have an sc300 with a single turbo setup. I want to put a breather on so i can run my car yet the distributor is about half an inch in the way so there is no way i could do this. Any help on fixing this such as a place that sells a shorter or smaller distributor or one that has plugs coming out the side instead of the top. This pic was before the new Garrett turbo yet it is still is the same.
Old 04-28-10, 07:43 PM
Eul_SC300
Driver School Candidate

If you don't already have one, I think the 4runner's distributor should help give you some room.
Old 04-28-10, 07:47 PM
eagles22mh
Driver School Candidate

so i can buy a 4runner one and it will work? any specific year model that would be compatible?
Old 04-28-10, 07:50 PM
tcrow31
Pole Position

I don't think the 4 runner cap will give you the room you need. You might have to clock the flange. I have to do the same. Few of my buddies done the same with their NA-T. Just get another T3 or T4 flange which ever it is and have it wielded on top of you current flange just clocked a bit more to give you the clearance.

Last edited by tcrow31; 04-28-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 07:52 PM
Eul_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eagles22mh
so i can buy a 4runner one and it will work? any specific year model that would be compatible?
Here ya go brother, I copy this from Mark's post on Clubna-t.

In order to run the T61 with a distributor on the GE motor you need to overcome the interference from the huge 4" inlet with the distributor cap. In the old days we'd weld on a companion flange and that would solve the problem. In the old days, that cost money, time and reliability. Today, thanks to the efforts and ingenuity of the ClubNA-T crowd, we now know that the best way to run the T61 is with a 4Runner distributor cap!

You will need a 4Runner distributor cap. Specifically toyota PN 19101-65040. 92+ 4Runner V6 distributor cap. This allows you to use your stock wires and rotor. You can also use the pre-92 4Runner cap but it has different sockets which means you will need to make your own wires - not a bad thing at all, but something to be aware of when shopping. Running the Pre-92 cap means you need to make all 6 wires. Running the 92+ cap means you will need to order a single 2JZ-GE #2 cyl plug wire. That wire will replace your current #1 plug wire which will not reach it's intended plug.

you can order these parts at any toyota dealer or:

http://www.drivewire.com/toyotaparts...pandrotor.html

Installation is simple. First, remove your stock cap (3 screws). Take a moment to inspect your rotor and replace it with another stock 2JZ-GE rotor if its burnt up. Install the new cap as shown, using only two fasteners. You can run only 2 fasteners or you can drill and tap the third fastener hole. I suggest running three but no problems have been reported just running two. If you do install the third fastener be sure to clean up any chips from drilling/tapping when done.

Once the cap is installed - run your custom (pre-92 cap) or stock GE (92+ cap) wires to the cap. Install them in this order:

W=the # on the wire D= the # on the 4Runner cap

W1 - D5
W2 - D1
W3 - D3
W4 - D6
W5 - D4
W6 - D2

The order is different because the 4Runner is a V6. You may want to write the numbers on the cap with a sharpie so if you service the car later, you don't have to worry about which wire goes where.

You will need to change your #1 plug wire. Go to toyota and order only the #2 spark plug wire as it has the added length you will need. Install that wire and you are all set.

Plug in the distributor and set the timing using a timing light to 10 degrees btdc per the FSM.

use a paper clip or wire and jump terminals E1 and TE in the diagnostic port in the back of the engine bay. Attach the timing light to plug wire #1 and aim at the crank pulley if it is lighting up the timing mark at 10degrees before TDC your good. To adjust the timing loosen the bolt holding the distributor flange to the head and rotate to adjust timing.
Old 04-28-10, 07:57 PM
eagles22mh
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys. i'm going to get on that and once it is done ill get back with yall and post the finishing picture.