SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Nightmare/Money Pit. PLEASE HELP!!! Did a search found no help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 06:05 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SC400 Nightmare/Money Pit. PLEASE HELP!!! Did a search found no help

Hey there guys. I need your help because my usual method of searching has come up dry. I have a 93 sc400 (aka money pit). I was going for a drive last night to go visit some friends about 2 hours away from home. Was going for my nice drive and was really appreciating how great my sc was running and driving.

Well it comes time for me to go home so I hop in my car to leave. I start her up put her into drive and then nothing. My car thinks its in neutral. On the dash and on the shifter the N is light up but the shifter assembly will move into all gears. I also feel the linkage engaging so I don't think it was a linkage issue. When I put the car in park it still shows in neutral but will release my key (only in park) So the car know that the shifter is moving but it keeps registering neutral.

The only thing that I have found suggests that it may be a lack of pressure in my transmission lines. I am stumped. I checked the fluid and it was full and clean. Also I just hoped in and had a failure. Its not like the car was running then had the problem. I just hoped in the car and was raped by the lexus gods. PLEASE HELP!!! THANK YOU!
Old 07-16-10, 06:15 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

ECU

Nick from Toronto

Originally Posted by 1SICSC4
Hey there guys. I need your help because my usual method of searching has come up dry. I have a 93 sc400 (aka money pit). I was going for a drive last night to go visit some friends about 2 hours away from home. Was going for my nice drive and was really appreciating how great my sc was running and driving.

Well it comes time for me to go home so I hop in my car to leave. I start her up put her into drive and then nothing. My car thinks its in neutral. On the dash and on the shifter the N is light up but the shifter assembly will move into all gears. I also feel the linkage engaging so I don't think it was a linkage issue. When I put the car in park it still shows in neutral but will release my key (only in park) So the car know that the shifter is moving but it keeps registering neutral.

The only thing that I have found suggests that it may be a lack of pressure in my transmission lines. I am stumped. I checked the fluid and it was full and clean. Also I just hoped in and had a failure. Its not like the car was running then had the problem. I just hoped in the car and was raped by the lexus gods. PLEASE HELP!!! THANK YOU!
Old 07-16-10, 06:38 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

I just want to clarify.

You can move the shifter into any gear but it only registers as nuetral on the cluster and console. (I am pretty sure you can still remove the key and or start the car when its in nuetral as well.)

What I would check next is put the car in park and see if you can push the car anywhere. This will tell you if the car can indeed change gears even though it is displaying N. If it doesnt roll I would probably agree with rollexus. If it rolls i would think your linkage isnt working somehere cause the trans is stuck in nuetral but your shifter is free moving
Old 07-16-10, 07:02 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
I just want to clarify.

You can move the shifter into any gear but it only registers as nuetral on the cluster and console. (I am pretty sure you can still remove the key and or start the car when its in nuetral as well.)

What I would check next is put the car in park and see if you can push the car anywhere. This will tell you if the car can indeed change gears even though it is displaying N. If it doesnt roll I would probably agree with rollexus. If it rolls i would think your linkage isnt working somehere cause the trans is stuck in nuetral but your shifter is free moving
The car will start in neutral but the key will only release in park. I'm 2 hours away form the car but when we pushed it last night it would roll in neutral didn't try park.
Old 07-16-10, 07:26 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

If you have not done so already:
1. Start in neutral
2. Put foot on brake
3. Put it in drive

Unless you guys have replaced the tranny before etc..., it is highly unlikely that there is something wrong with the linkage. Since it is going in neutral and park causes me to believe the linkage is ok. This will only prove to be more correct if you follow the steps above. Which would lead to my first suggestion. ECU.

Nick from Toronto.

Originally Posted by 1SICSC4
The car will start in neutral but the key will only release in park. I'm 2 hours away form the car but when we pushed it last night it would roll in neutral didn't try park.
Old 07-16-10, 07:31 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by rollexus
If you have not done so already:
1. Start in neutral
2. Put foot on brake
3. Put it in drive

Unless you guys have replaced the tranny before etc..., it is highly unlikely that there is something wrong with the linkage. Since it is going in neutral and park causes me to believe the linkage is ok. This will only prove to be more correct if you follow the steps above. Which would lead to my first suggestion. ECU.

Nick from Toronto.
I did steps 1.2.3. and car still shows neutral. I just did a motor swap 5 day ago so there is a small chance I ****ed up the linkage but its been fine then out of no where its ****ed. I will scoop up an ECU and try that.

The top side linkage looks good but I didn't check the bottom of the car.
Old 07-16-10, 12:12 PM
Sc300TT92
Driver School Candidate

If you just did a swap five days ago is it possible that you left something loose. You drove it two hours then parked it maybe while driving part of the lower linkage came undone. It doesnt sound like an ecu problem thats all. And also check your neutral safety switch. I had a car that had no overdrive because the neutral safety switch was messed up.
Old 07-17-10, 07:15 AM
1SICSC4
Driver

It ended up being a bolt from my lower linkage. All fixed now. Thanks for all the help guys.