Opinions? 1995 vs 1999

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 08:16 AM
VKBSC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions? 1995 vs 1999

Hey All,

I've stumbled upon a 1999 SC 300 with 128000 miles and was wondering what your opinions on the model were? I know the major gain from trading up from a 1995 is the VVTI, but I've shed blood, sweat, and tears with my 1995!

My car currently has ca. 105000 miles, but is running into transmission and rack and pinion problems. The local Firestone wants over $1000 to replace the rack and pinion, and then another $300 to fix the power steering pump which apparently went bad along with the rack and pinion. The transmission problems are minimal, just hard shifting which can probably be remedied by a drain and fill of the fluid. My major goal for the car was to have it reach around 400+HP by the time I graduate from my university (I'm starting my 3rd of 5 years in August so I've got until 2013 to get this done!), along with the standard suspension, brake, wheel, and exhaust upgrades that come with it.

Here's a link to the 1999:

http://www.ssautoinc.net/vehicledeta...?VID=115315779

It seems to check out but the dealer has dropped it from $8990 to $5970 in the past three months, which is a bit of a red flag in itself. On top of that, the front Lexus emblem is missing and the shades of black between the bumper and hood seem different, indicating a possible collision. I haven't seen the car in person, but I wanted to check with you all to get some advice before driving 40min to see it

I've always been really possessive of my cars (my first car was a 1995 Honda del Sol that got destroyed by a woman in a CR-V...I kept it in my parents garage for 3 months and had myself convinced I could fix it up before finally letting it go as a donation!) so I've already gotten attached to my 1995, but the practicality and potential of a post-'97 model SC is hard to overlook

Let me know your opinions! Take care.
Old 08-01-10, 08:41 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really hit and miss, you never know until you physically see it, even then it could be tough sometimes. If you have access to CarFax, it would be a plus. Pop the hood and trunk to check for any core support damage. Check engine lights, leaks, anything visual should give you a good idea. Overall nothing will help as much as a test drive; take it around the block and on to the interstate, that way you'll experience stop and go driving as well as cruising.

I test drove my car for about 30 - 40 minutes before I bought it, private seller however.
Old 08-01-10, 09:02 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

id keep your car and fix it honestly. you know what you have already and unless its really bad i dont see why you'd trade up but up to you overall your choice..
but im assuming you would be taking on a payment so if your car is paid off thats another reason id just keep it and fix it..
plus it has less miles on it..
also the 2jz non vvti have stronger internals which is what you have in ur 95.
just some things to consider
Old 08-01-10, 09:06 AM
FutureSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with your rack? It may just be the bushings. If your steering is just sloppy check out this fix: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-warning.html

Best 50 bucks I've ever spent.

If you really want the 99 go for it but make sure to do a carfax on it and drive it until you feel comfortable with what you're paying for.
Old 08-01-10, 09:26 AM
VKBSC3
Driver

Originally Posted by imDementeD
also the 2jz non vvti have stronger internals which is what you have in ur 95.
just some things to consider
I didn't know this, that's some good info. I'm going to have to test drive it for sure!

I paid $6000 for my 1995 with 95000 miles on it, and if I trade my car I'll probably end up getting $4000 from the stealer (if I'm lucky) and picking up another $1500 on the 1999, so I'll be back to square one basically; I'd end up spending on the repairs on my 1995 anyway.

Honestly the pros of the 1999 don't outweigh the fact I've got a solid car already, IMHO. I just wanted to see what some veteran SC owners had to say, since this is my first Lexus and all.

I've got short term plans in the works for my car already including a Tanabe exhaust, Wise lip kit, and some new shocks and springs or coilovers (I'd be willing to put the rack and pinion repairs on hold to get some growl out of the exhaust for $700 ). I went through this with a SC400 about three months ago but wrote the 400 off for being a gas guzzling, overpriced pain, and it seems like I'm going to end up going back to my original car again...which is shockingly similar to my woman situation (that's college for you...) The similarities between men and their cars and men and their girlfriends are uncanny!

Anyway, any more opinions would be appreciated...I'll update if I get a chance to test drive the 1999!
Old 08-01-10, 09:26 AM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you going to firestone is like goin to the stealership they over price the life out of you find good local shop
Old 08-01-10, 09:40 AM
VKBSC3
Driver

Originally Posted by FutureSC
What's wrong with your rack? It may just be the bushings. If your steering is just sloppy check out this fix: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-warning.html

Best 50 bucks I've ever spent.
The "geniuses" at Firestone told me that the rack was leaking oil everywhere, and that it was the reason my power steering pump went out. I checked it out myself and did in fact see some oil but I didn't feel like being robbed so I took it home to keep looking and threw some Lucas Power Steering fix in and got rid of the whining as a temporary fix...and to be honest it's been fine since then. I'm not one for quick fixes but this one seems to work fine for now.
Old 08-01-10, 09:46 AM
VKBSC3
Driver

Originally Posted by msc300
you going to firestone is like goin to the stealership they over price the life out of you find good local shop
+1

I've found a local shop that did some work on my Tahoe for like 60% less than what Firestone quoted, but they apparently won't work on my car or my dad's Benz. I' m going to have to look for a good import shop, but Kansas is pretty limited
Old 08-01-10, 09:47 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

If your plans are to make 400 hp on an SC300 (I'm assuming by turbo), then I suggest you save your extra pennies for that and not the fancier trimmings of a 99.

$.02
Old 08-01-10, 09:48 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Honestly id look into it more and get your hands dirty...
imo these cars are very easy to work on..do some more research to figure out what exactly your car is doing..these cars have been around for a very long time so surely someone else has had your exact problem so you can get a better idea of what you need to fix and surely there is a step by step diy to get it done..
and after explaining the financial situation id definitely keep your car...like you said you have a solid car..the 1999 may or may not be and a single test drive wont show you what ur 1995 has so far..and if you're willing to get ur hands dirty you can definitely save some money right there
Old 08-01-10, 12:59 PM
VKBSC3
Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
If your plans are to make 400 hp on an SC300 (I'm assuming by turbo), then I suggest you save your extra pennies for that and not the fancier trimmings of a 99.

$.02
Yep, turbo it is...I imagine it's a feasible goal with three years to accomplish it in. And you're definitely right, what's the point of VVTI for a couple months if I'm just going to swap and boost in the end anyway?

@ imDementeD: I am willing to get my hands dirty and I have considered getting under the car to start tinkering but I just haven't had the drive to do it while the heat index in Kansas is around 96 degrees from sun up to sundown! Haha, plus all I've got is my parents garage and a Stanley tool kit from Walmart...the chemical engineering tuition is wringing me dry

There's a lot to think about right now, plus I've got another car to maintain...if it weren't for the spectacular Kansas winters and the fact I'm in need of something to move around Lawrence in I'd probably sell my Tahoe and just start up with the suspension and LS400 brake upgrades.

I'm pretty sure unless I find a granny-driven 98+ with about the same miles as my car I'm going to end up sticking to my 1995! Stupid emotional attachment
Old 08-01-10, 01:53 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

haha i dont wanna hear about the heat...im in florida for one(heat index ~110)..live in the "woods" where mosquitoes do NOT sleep and i have to work in the dirt since my roommates car is being worked on under the car port and it doesnt roll right now however i do understand the lack of motivation to get out there and get stuff done..im also lacking tools as well..i had a nice big tool kit that is up and ran away cause i cant find it for the life of me..i had to use the most POS tools ever where literally i had one socket wrench to loosen and another to tighten cause they were so old n rusted you couldnt twist them any other direction..definitely sucked *** but got it done and VERY happy i did so..

also good choice on sticking with ur 95