custom LED taillight teaser pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10 | 10:42 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Default custom LED taillight teaser pics

so i do alota headlight mods, with tht finished on to the taillights
heres sum teaser pics of whats to come
ive always been a fan of the led rings in taillights and wished my car had em... so customs the way to go! the white is the ring thas always on i made it white so it stands out more and the middle is red for the brake light in red
i need ideas for the turn signals... gimme idea CL fam!
Attached Thumbnails custom LED taillight teaser pics-img00649-20101123-2322.jpg   custom LED taillight teaser pics-img00650-20101123-2323.jpg   custom LED taillight teaser pics-img00654-20101124-0121.jpg  
Old 11-23-10 | 11:07 PM
VinnyMac
Pole Position

Props for something different. I think spaces between the LED's need to be filled with MORE LEDs. I don't believe that alone would be bright enough to actually signal traffic behind you that you're braking or signaling. Besides that, like I said, def deserve props and can't wait to see the final product! Goodluck!
Old 11-23-10 | 11:09 PM
joeazy187
Pole Position

look good, keep us posted
Old 11-23-10 | 11:16 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

looks pretty cool
Old 11-24-10 | 03:42 AM
adamsbomb
Rookie

ummm, not sure where you are at, but there are laws that govern what color lights can be on the front and rear of your car. I believe white and amber on the front and red and amber on the rear.
Old 11-24-10 | 03:52 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

I see potential. More pics!
Old 11-24-10 | 04:34 AM
nine3es
Lead Lap

mount them on a pcb so they're not pointing all crooked and more evenly spaced. definitely add more. you know you can use two different resistor leads to light leds for parking AND braking right? with a couple diodes you can even use the one set of leds as parking, brake and turn signals too. keep playing, you'll come up with something.
Old 11-24-10 | 04:44 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

...or just buy something like this - if you can find the right size.

ebay LED ring
Old 11-24-10 | 06:18 AM
Klaus
Instructor

If I'm looking at this right, the plastic it's shining through is still red behind the tint so the white LEDs will come out red
Old 11-24-10 | 06:39 AM
lilSCsteve

Looking good, can't wait for more pics!
Old 11-24-10 | 07:16 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

ID say put like bigger LED's. Maybe use the shape of 97 lights. but circle and Straight lines for the brake and Running Rear Lights?
2cents
Old 11-24-10 | 08:20 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

It's a nice start. The led's are not evenly distributed, some are farther apart. There needs to be at least three rings around each other or they will not look filled out or be bright enough. Oh and one more thing, since the SC has such terrible voltage spikes from the most power hungry electrical system I've ever seen, you may want to make it accessible to get back in and replace led's and I've never seen any led tail attempt that is "easy" to go back into and repair since most people do it like you and solder them all together. If they are in series it's even worse..... when one fails, they all do. Saw someone do that once too.

An example from 2004 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...led-tails.html

Then see post #3 here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...installed.html

You have to pack those led's in to make it look good. Otherwise it looks very amateurish and poorly lit.

So I say keep going! Pack'em in.

Attached Thumbnails custom LED taillight teaser pics-135_3588.jpg  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 11-24-10 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-24-10 | 12:44 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by adamsbomb
ummm, not sure where you are at, but there are laws that govern what color lights can be on the front and rear of your car. I believe white and amber on the front and red and amber on the rear.
Originally Posted by Klaus
If I'm looking at this right, the plastic it's shining through is still red behind the tint so the white LEDs will come out red
like klaus said lens is amber/red so the lights show up re/amber i chose white because its brighter

Originally Posted by nine3es
mount them on a pcb so they're not pointing all crooked and more evenly spaced. definitely add more. you know you can use two different resistor leads to light leds for parking AND braking right? with a couple diodes you can even use the one set of leds as parking, brake and turn signals too. keep playing, you'll come up with something.
hmm do u knw which resistor would do the parking and brake? i wanna try tht

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's a nice start. The led's are not evenly distributed, some are farther apart.
im gonna add more to to it so there isnt spaces

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
you may want to make it accessible to get back in and replace led's and I've never seen any led tail attempt that is "easy" to go back into and repair since most people do it like you and solder them all together. If they are in series it's even worse..... when one fails, they all do. Saw someone do that once too.
i have each one wired seperate so if ne does go out i can go in and change just that one but they all thread to one power wire for easy plug and play

ill be doin more work tonight ill post up wen i get more progress

these leds are small but for the price its worth it $.99 for 20 leds along with resistors so i orderd 100 right now for trial ill order more once i have a design and i knw how much i need
Old 11-24-10 | 05:53 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Good job can't wait to see em on the car
Old 11-24-10 | 07:51 PM
adamsbomb
Rookie

ahhh, my apologies, I missed that lol. It was a wee bit early and just trying to help out.

Quick Reply: custom LED taillight teaser pics