SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My first "Custom" visual mod on SC300

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 11:28 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool. just wondering, how did you do your over ride button? if you did?
Old 12-17-11, 08:14 AM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by levie
cool. just wondering, how did you do your over ride button? if you did?
Well, the previous owner had the red/black toggle switch hooked up for an audio system i'm guessing.. So I re-wired the O/D to the toggle switch. That way I don't have this 1"X1" hole in my shifter bezel.
Old 12-17-11, 10:29 AM
scguy
Driver

i like it hell might even get 1 myself
Old 12-17-11, 11:12 AM
lexfrmtex
Driver

At the end of the day its whatever you like.
Old 12-17-11, 11:32 AM
is636
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ASTERiSK
I don't mind my setup, but this is how I'm gonna have it for now. I'll probably wanna carbon fiber vinyl the same thing when I get a manual swap. To be honest I really don't like what you did, no offense intended.

Damn that dong is HUGE!!! I'd change it too.
Old 12-18-11, 12:31 PM
blacksc4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think im gonna have to invest in this... i dnt think my autozone has one tho last shift **** i tried wouldnt fit over the stick part
Old 12-18-11, 01:05 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pieisgude

that'd look a lot better. jus sayin.

Yeeees. I'm searching for one right now if anyone has an extra kicking around
Old 12-18-11, 01:07 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blacksc4
i think im gonna have to invest in this... i dnt think my autozone has one tho last shift **** i tried wouldnt fit over the stick part

I had to dremel out a bit off my "stick".. it was scary but everything works mint still!
Old 12-18-11, 01:12 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Nicely done! Ive looked at this and boom inspiration hit me. I looked at all the connections under the og panel and the od button (lost the spring now lol) and started the rewiring process. Any special instructions on re-wiring the 2 od wires?

On a second note, I love that CF vinyl work. Very clean!
Old 12-18-11, 07:45 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
Nicely done! Ive looked at this and boom inspiration hit me. I looked at all the connections under the og panel and the od button (lost the spring now lol) and started the rewiring process. Any special instructions on re-wiring the 2 od wires?

On a second note, I love that CF vinyl work. Very clean!
Connect it to a toggle switch.. All you need to do is have something to complete the current.. So a 1-way switch would work. It's basically like wiring them together when you have the switch "on". Just completes the circuit.
Old 12-19-11, 09:36 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

That makes sense. The reason I ask was because when the shifter is completely removed OD remains on and only when the button (or shifter) is connected then OD will go off when the circuit is incomplete. I didnt see any special mechanism in the port so Im wondering.

Thanks for the info. Did you get to installing the "new" layout? I cant wait to see it in action
Old 12-19-11, 10:13 AM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
That makes sense. The reason I ask was because when the shifter is completely removed OD remains on and only when the button (or shifter) is connected then OD will go off when the circuit is incomplete. I didnt see any special mechanism in the port so Im wondering.

Thanks for the info. Did you get to installing the "new" layout? I cant wait to see it in action
No problem!

I am waiting on the bezel to be shipped, but in the meantime, I am fabricating up a replacement shifter assembly. Reason being, when you add a manual shifter **** to our vehicles on the stock auto shifter, it moves around and has play in it. I am making a shifter out of aluminum stock that has no movement other than up and down to engage/disengage the transmission and back and forth, obviously to select gears. Watch the video of the shifter someone has made on this forum and you'll see the slop I am referring to. I will eliminate all the play and it will be substantially shorter in height as well.
Old 12-19-11, 06:26 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just use a auto shifter off ebay. i copied my idea straight from this video and the link. works like a charm and doesnt have a loose feeling. the shifter is aluminum with a carbon fiber spacer and a spring on the inside.

if you want it silver, spray oven cleaner on it and it will get rid of the red anodizing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBON-FIBER...ht_2445wt_1037

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYPs1..._order&list=UL

Old 12-19-11, 10:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I will admit that the post above looks pretty clean^^^^.

But in all seriousness if I went to purchase an sc off someone and there automatic shifter was swapped for a phony manual looking one I would think the owner is a clown and I would wonder what other sort of 'mods' he has done.

Yes the automatic shifter isnt the prettiest but it isnt that bad either,,,,its how it came from the factory and its ten times better then what u guys are doing here,,,,which is basically butchering your car.
Old 12-20-11, 05:47 AM
Justinizme
Pole Position

The video shows the "side to side play" I was referring to.

And 1Willy.. I appreciate your criticism and respectfully disagree.. Almost ANYTHING looks and feels better than the stock auto shifter. Not everyone is fortunate to find a factory 5-speed car for dirt cheap and I sure as hell wouldn't pay $10k for a 15-20 year old car that requires another 5-6k to make decently quick. With that $10k, I could easily put that towards an MKIV and have a 6-speed, the GTE engine and better body lines.. BUT that is not the discussion here.. If I was a previous SC owner and seen they replaced the stock auto with this, I would shake his hand and tell him thank you..
EDIT: As you stated, we are "butchering" the car.. I for one, did not cut/trim any piece of the stock shifter arm....If I wanted to slide the stock ***** back on, I could and would work like it did from the factory..

Last edited by Justinizme; 12-20-11 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: My first "Custom" visual mod on SC300