martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks way better now.
Old 02-04-07, 09:13 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey thanks for the kind words, I had a feeling you guys might be interested. =) I got the switch mounted and tested the system pretty good today and it seems to be pretty solid..

Sigh, step by step instructions would fill about three threads worth. As a side note, I do controls for work and wiring relays and getting deep into wiring is like second nature. But here's the system in a nut shell. You have two relays, one up, one down.. both are 4 pole (2 wires per motor, 2 motors) 12vdc relays (with screw terminal bases). Relay #1 when energized will connect 12vdc and ground to the motor leads and when de-energized, it will connect the leads to the output of relay #2. Relay #2 will connect the leads to a reverse connection of relay #1 when energized and when de-energized, it will connect the motor leads to the top computer. You will also need to wire a three position momentary switch to work both relays.

So both relays are in series and both have to be de-energized for the top to take control. But if either one is energized, it will disconnect it from the top computer (very important) and connect the motor to ground and 12vdc.

Yeah, I know, I barely understand what I just said, but if you dig into doing this mod yourself, you'll know exacly what I'm talking about. If you've done some stereo work or lighting work on cars, then this should be a piece of cake but if not.. well then your on your own. I have a ton of tips and tricks to do this mod, so hit me up when you start (not before) and I'll do my best to get you started. Just remember, that the top computer can not get 12vdc or ground signals back into it as it may short out and the top computer is over $1000.

But I have to say that this is one of the best mods you can do. I even dropped the top with the rear windows down to see if the top computer would error out but it seemed fine. I get no red light from the top switch and no beeping what so ever, but if you do this, be on the safe side and return the quarter windows to the normal position before you work the top. Oh and one last thing, if your going to roll up both sets of windows, besure to roll up the rears first as the gasket seems to seal better that way..

Here's a couple of pictures to help make up your mind.. =)
Attached Thumbnails Quarter Window mod.. Done!-rwd2frt.jpg  

Last edited by hipendicul; 02-04-07 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 09:19 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Sorry, I didn't think of taking this picture until i was driving home today, but here's the solution to driving happy, top down with your Girl Friend.. =)

Hah hah, ok.. I'm joking, it actually doesn't cut down on the wind that much.. =) But I thought it looked cool anyways, I wish I would've taken the picture during the day.
Attached Thumbnails Quarter Window mod.. Done!-rwunight.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Eathon (12-04-20)
Old 02-04-07, 09:22 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Lastly, my stealth switch. The up side is kinda akward to reach but its not that bad... Oh and this tiny switch (the smallest I could find) just barely (and I mean barely) fits here. It can't move up, down, or to the side. You have less than 1/8" on each side to work with.. Damn, I cut it close.. It was either here on I drilled thru the wood on the center console.. and I'm not that brave..

Note: I marked the second location in red. You can't mount it directly in the center as the screw that holds the cup holder is there. You also can't mount the switch to the shifter plate (where the traction control switches are). So good luck on finding a better location..
Attached Thumbnails Quarter Window mod.. Done!-rwswitch.jpg  

Last edited by hipendicul; 02-04-07 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 09:38 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

For those of you that will try here's the picture from the box.. Just for giggles, the big orange wires on the one side of the relays is 12vdc i picked up from the package tray circuit and the big white wires next to them are ground. The big white wires on the other side (only two of them) are the wires coming back from the switch. (the switch sends 12vdc down either one when I'm operating the windows).

Oh and the reason I was able to take this picture is because I couldn't find my keys from my work van. I remember using my pocket knife thats on my work van key chain on installing the relays and when I took apart the trunk again to see if they were there.. well lets just say that I now have my keys again.. So much for qualified work.. =)

P.s. The bullet connectors you see are there so i can rip the system out and put it back to stock by just unplugging the relays and plugging the window wires back to the computer. (This is a big trick if you attempt this mod. you can always go back to stock if it doesn't work right, so do the bullet connectors first!)
Attached Thumbnails Quarter Window mod.. Done!-rwwiring.jpg  

Last edited by hipendicul; 02-04-07 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bubblebutt (03-11-23)
Old 02-04-07, 11:34 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If only I weren't such a punk. It looks good tho.
Old 02-05-07, 01:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow this is AWESOME ken!!!!! i was with mark today and he mentioned about this thread. awesome, just awesome!!!! we definitely need to talk about this soon. how about a short all sc430 socal meet before the official meet in may to get this done? come on ken, we need you

this definitely gets high priority to me now.
Old 02-05-07, 09:54 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, that's an awesome and unique mod. I know the Mercedes CL-class have a feature of opening/closing the quarter windows in their coupe models, but I agree this makes the SC look classier with all windows down
Old 02-05-07, 11:41 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hipendicul
Sorry, I didn't think of taking this picture until i was driving home today, but here's the solution to driving happy, top down with your Girl Friend.. =)

Hah hah, ok.. I'm joking, it actually doesn't cut down on the wind that much.. =) But I thought it looked cool anyways, I wish I would've taken the picture during the day.
Thanks for that photo.
I always want to know how my car will look like with top down & all 4 windows up.
Old 02-05-07, 03:47 PM
betection
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow how did u do that?
Old 02-05-07, 08:09 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, what a job
Old 02-05-07, 08:28 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
wow this is AWESOME ken!!!!! i was with mark today and he mentioned about this thread. awesome, just awesome!!!! we definitely need to talk about this soon. how about a short all sc430 socal meet before the official meet in may to get this done? come on ken, we need you

this definitely gets high priority to me now.
Hah hah.. I may be able to do a few more conversions here and there... We'll see...
Old 02-05-07, 09:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by hipendicul
Hah hah.. I may be able to do a few more conversions here and there... We'll see...
mark and i are in line?
Old 02-05-07, 09:39 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Sorry Henry, the line started with me.
Old 02-05-07, 09:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no problem dan, of course we are after you!

btw, in terms of locations for the buttons, i can't remember, but is there any "empty" openings by the mirror adjustments?

Quick Reply: Quarter Window mod.. Done!