SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Getting Thirsty??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-08, 03:00 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting Thirsty??

Anyone find the cup holder in the SC useless - or worse, have something tip when turning a corner and spill all over your interior? I have a 2004 SC and could have made a mess of my Ecru interior but was saved because the top was screwed on the bottle during a very subtle turn out of my driveway when the entire bottle fell out of the cup holder and onto the passanger seat. Perhaps cup holder is better with cans and cups - I'm almost afraid to try with a can of soda or a cup of coffee?

So, anyone know if have they redesigned the cup holders since 2004 and have had one installed in an earlier model? I can't believe they have kept the same design. Or - has anyone figured out a relatively simple way to fix this without taking out the whole thing, e.g., somehow replace or modify the top part with something to hold bottles tighter - or fix it so that it fits down better into holder? These seem to be the problems - shallow and doesn't really grip the bottle.

BTW - I did search forum and only found people wanting to remove cup holder entirely and replace with storage. I get why they wanted to remove it - it is useless for holding bottles.

Thanks for any help.

Rustito
Old 04-26-08, 03:10 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it works pretty well for me but only for shorter containers, nothing tall which will tip over. They are far better than the cup holders on my SC300/400 and a tad worse than my GS400. Far better than my Porsche's-none of which came with any cup holders. All year SC430's have the same cup holder.
Even while hitting the mountain canyon in the morning it holds my cup of coffee very securely.
Old 04-26-08, 05:31 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Default Easy solution to shallow cup holders

I use a commuter mug every morning with a cup of coffee before my 45 min ride to work. I applied a quarter size piece of black Velcro to both the bottom of the cup as well as the cup holder plate. Works quite well. Only hitch is can't put the mug in the dishwasher, no big deal.

YMMV
JTMav
Old 04-26-08, 06:10 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Thanks guys for the replies. I am getting the idea that coffee cups are what the cup holders are for - not plastic water bottles. I am looking for ideas like the velcro idea. That is great but not for disposable drink containers. I usually drive home from work with the remainder of my large Dunkin Nuts coffee - already I think that the coffee cup might be too tall for the holder.

I still don't get why such an fantastic car has such an inferior cup holder - even more surprising that Lexus hasn't gotten feedback enough to make them redesign such a basic part of the interior. However, an inferior cup holder has not dampened one bit the ultimate joy of driving my PB SC in perfect top down weather here in DC. Feel like I own the world - a bit thirsty but driving the perfect car!!
Rustito
Old 04-27-08, 03:50 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

This way works for me.
Old 04-27-08, 05:35 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

On the one hand, I agree with you -- as configured the holders invite major tippage. On the other hand, I can see where the engineers were trying to work the cup holders into a small space.

The velco idea is great for coffee cups but I also hope someone has an idea for regular bottles. Currently, I just make sure the cap is on at all times.
Old 04-28-08, 05:38 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

FunGuy - You are too funny!!!

I too hope someone has an idea for reg. bottles in cup holders. Bottle stayed fine in mine until I turned - then it toppled over! I get that the engineers were trying to fit it into a small space - just find it hard to understand how they can design a hardtop vert but not a decent cup holder. However, one cup holder does not an SC make!
Rustito