SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nav-screen cover malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 04:50 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nav-screen cover malfunction

I started my '02 SC this morning, and when the wood door that covers the nav screen flipped open, it jammed 2/3 the way up. I did everything I could to gently coax it back into position, but it wouldn't budge, and I didn't want to force the issue, so I hit "CLOSE". The door then clicked loudly a couple times and popped out of track completely; I flipped it up with my hand and it retracted behind the top of the nav unit (which is functioning properly... tilt, etc.).
Then I gently pulled the door down with my hand, and a piece of metal protruded from the side, and to my surprise, it came right out when I tugged on it. It's a metal bar the width of the door with a hole through either end. The wood door is still loosely attached.
I searched for a prior thread on how to open up the whole unit and fix it my self, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

Any input on a fix would be greatly appreciated, as I'm sure the Lexus dealer would happily bend me over if I take it to them to fix.
Old 08-14-08, 05:05 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This malfunction is another reason I got the extended warranty on my 2002 as well..............the small things in time do add up.

Good Luck and let us know how and what was done.

FALCON 1
Old 08-14-08, 06:06 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im not sure what the metal piece is but I have had mine stuck before and had searched how to take out the navi system out. From there i had carefully examined the unit and figured out the door was off track and tightened it with a screwdriver.. You must search it as there are delicate parts that must come off in order to reach the navi.
Old 08-14-08, 06:17 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Actually this might help you..I searched and this is how i found out how to remove the navi..Hope it helps and good luck!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=navi+door
Old 08-14-08, 06:41 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Thanks, guys. As usual, quick answers. I'll post up results...
Old 09-06-08, 03:25 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Default Update on nav door jam

Here's my update...
I fixed my nav door myself, and it was pretty easy (thanks IcEnPinKi for the link ). After removing the air vents and the A/C control unit, I unscrewed the nav and carefully pulled it out. I found the wood door behind the unit (unscratched!) and realized the metal piece that spit out when it jammed is the guide-bar for the door, and it had popped out of it's two plastic snap-in seats. I just reattached the door to the metal piece and popped the piece back in place, making sure the guides were in their tracks on either side of the door. Put everything back together and it works like new.

The most important thing about the whole procedure is to make sure you don't yank the air vents out with too much force or you'll snap off the extremely thin plastic tabs on the back. (I lost one, but it still fit back in snug.) Also, be VERY careful when removing the nav unit and the A/C unit; they both have sharp tabs on the sides/back that will easily tear the very thin leather (leather-like?) trim that surrounds the dash (thankfully, I didn't tear mine since I knew about it from reading similar posts here). Finally, hang onto the screws and the 10mm nuts when you're R&R'ing them, because if you drop one, it'll land in the abyss behind your radio and you'll never find it again... (yep, I dropped one.... so far no annoying rattles... YET.)

Should've taken pics of the whole thing but my wife took the camera with her.... so if anyone needs further help feel free to PM me anytime.
Old 09-06-08, 05:16 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Glad it worked out! I fixed mines the same way
Old 09-11-08, 02:39 PM
porsche993
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just posted this same problem. This is a big help.

mike
Old 09-11-08, 03:59 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by porsche993
I have just posted this same problem. This is a big help.

mike
Let me know if you need more explanation/help... just PM me and/or I'll follow this thread. -Steve
Old 06-03-12, 08:46 AM
jbar5563
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation door wont open Navi doesnt work!

My navi was working fine on my sc430 one day then the next day i started the car none of the navi buttons work and the steering wheel controls wouldnt work either. I tried to manually open the door with my hand and it wasnt displaying anything even after i pressed map button. Just will not do anything its like its dead. I dont know if its a bad fuse or not maybe the motor went out but how do you explain the steering controls not functioning either? Does anyone know where the fuse is for the navigation?
Old 06-03-12, 10:26 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

There are four fuse panels in the SC.
1. Engine compartment
2. Drivers side kick panel
3. Passenger side kick panel
4. Luggage compartment
If you have your owners manual fuse coverage and locations are covered in it. If you don't have the manual, fuse panel doors have some info. Or you can find it online at Lexus drivers.com

BTW it does sound like a fuse problem...many circuits are interconnected and that would explain the steering wheel pad issues.
Old 06-04-12, 01:24 AM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to also disconnect the battery for a few minutes - sometimes strange glitches like this can also be 'software' problems that recover with a full system reboot.

It only take a few minutes to do, and then you've either ruled it out as the issue - or you've solved it all in only a few minutes !
Old 06-04-12, 09:19 PM
jbar5563
Driver School Candidate

Navigation just stopped working!!
My navigation was working fine one day then the next i started the car and nothing happened , door didnt open no lexus logo , none of the navi buttons worked just dead. I took it to the damn stealership thinking they would know something. Oh my god was i wrong i paid them 250 dollars and wasted 4 hours of my life so some tech can tell me something i already knew.
He said that he has no idea why it doesnt work and he didnt have any remarks on what i should do. Wow great service you bastards!!!!. Told me that MAYBE i needed a new navi brain and it was 8000 dollars. I laughed in his face and told him to put it back in and i will take care of it no thanks. Then he said that even if i do get a new unit it might not even work because that might no even be the problem. Plus he never checked inside the trunk to check the gps amplifer!!! So i un plugged the battery and unplugged the dvd in the trunk , im going to let it sit all night and plug everything up in the morning im thinking maybe the computer will reset itself.
I've never had a problem with the navi it always worked great and there was no warning what so ever it just failed on me. I checked the tv /navigation fuse in the side kick panel. They were ok but at the dealer he said that the fuses were in the wrong place and they were to powerful i had a 25 fuse were a 5 fuse should be , so they were mix matched. Im thinking that fried the unit but how come the navi buttons dont work on the ac controls? How come i cant open the door? Im worried if i buy a used navi computer on ebay and put it in it still wont fix it. Can anyone give me some input i'de be so thankful. I need a sc430 GURU!
Old 06-04-12, 10:55 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

Wow your kidding, right? $250 and no answers! Really??? I'd be on the phone with Lexus corporate while I was driving home from the dealer. Did the give you a quote/estimate to begin with?
I have a GEN 2/3 NAV ECU we may be able to work a deal ....PM if you're interested.

What concerns me is your description of the problems....did the dealer put all the fuses in the correct positions with proper values? What else is not working? The NAV door connects via the head unit.
Old 06-11-12, 10:33 PM
jbar5563
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the dealership should be avoided like the black plague. When i first realized the problem i did disconnect the battery and i left it un plugged all night long. Of course it didnt reset anything though so im thinking i ruled that out. The dealer did replace all the fuses in proper order. They were thinking maybe the fuses being in the wrong spot might have burned out the navigation. Shouldnt this had happened when i bought the car two years ago though? Yes the door doesnt open or close absolutely no power to the unit. VVTIBOB YOU SAID SOMETHING ABOUT WORKING OUT A ECU DEAL??