SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rattle question for the SC430... and questions not answered in search feature

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 07:21 AM
jk335
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle question for the SC430... and questions not answered in search feature

Hi Gang. Just a newbie SC 430 lover here. Trying to get a very annoying issue resolved.

I have read up on the rattle issues. Please excuse me if I am repeating past posts, but I cannot find out this answer. The rattle/ shake I seem to experience in the SC is from the pillar on the passenger side of the car, where the dash meets the column pillar. Does anyone have a viable fix, or am I just going to take the car to the dealer and see if they can fix this rattle. Only happens when the top is up, seems less loud when the top is down. Should I take a technician for a ride?

I am in the process of assuming payments on this car, and I am in the process of reconditioning it as well, since there were dings and a scratched bumper. Next monday, I meet the dent wizard and have my bodyshop repaint the rear bumper. It's a good friend and I trust the bosyshop paint.

I also read u on he FAQ as well, and think the car might need some replacement tires, these runflats are rough. Should I wait for the 2006 rims? Or is there a Lexus rim you would suggest, I want to stay OEM.

Other observations..

V710 seems not to be compatible. I'll have to do research to see if it would ever be able to pair with the car.

Anyone think they can help diagnose the rattle on the pillar? I would be very happy to use the fix.

Sincerely,

JK
Old 07-05-05, 09:23 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jk335
Hi Gang. Just a newbie SC 430 lover here. Trying to get a very annoying issue resolved.

I have read up on the rattle issues. Please excuse me if I am repeating past posts, but I cannot find out this answer. The rattle/ shake I seem to experience in the SC is from the pillar on the passenger side of the car, where the dash meets the column pillar. Does anyone have a viable fix, or am I just going to take the car to the dealer and see if they can fix this rattle. Only happens when the top is up, seems less loud when the top is down. Should I take a technician for a ride?

I am in the process of assuming payments on this car, and I am in the process of reconditioning it as well, since there were dings and a scratched bumper. Next monday, I meet the dent wizard and have my bodyshop repaint the rear bumper. It's a good friend and I trust the bosyshop paint.

I also read u on he FAQ as well, and think the car might need some replacement tires, these runflats are rough. Should I wait for the 2006 rims? Or is there a Lexus rim you would suggest, I want to stay OEM.

Other observations..

V710 seems not to be compatible. I'll have to do research to see if it would ever be able to pair with the car.

Anyone think they can help diagnose the rattle on the pillar? I would be very happy to use the fix.

Sincerely,

JK
I experienced the same rattle/creak/groan on my SC. The dealer was not able to correct it and the District representative diagnosed it as cowl shake and stated that this is normal on a roadster/ convertible. Same party line "This is normal" but I have read road tests on the SC and the testers also commented on the cowl shake.

The run flats on the SC are harsh and changing rims is not going to get rid of the harsh ride. I test drove a BMW 645 this weekend with run flat tires and was amazed at how well the car rode in comparison to the SC. Lexus needs to re-tune the suspension, if they are going to continue to sell the car with run flats .
Old 07-05-05, 10:26 AM
jk335
Driver School Candidate

Have you tried stuffing a little pieve of double sided tape in the gap. I am experiencing basically a sqeeking sound. It's a bit different i guess than regular cowl shake... Although I know this does exist...

What year is your car? is it an 05? I just found another person on this forum with this problem, and wonder if she has had any luck with this squeek.

I will keep you updated. I am takign the car in for an oil change and will see what they think should be done.

JK
Old 07-06-05, 04:08 AM
tyLuurrr
Driver School Candidate

The SC is just not well-made. The suspension is horrible - bump, shakey, insecure and loud. There are numerous rattles, squeaks and creaks in the cabin of my '05. BMW & Benz know how to build a capable and reliable sport suspension, not Lexus.
Old 07-06-05, 06:25 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tyLuurrr
The SC is just not well-made. The suspension is horrible - bump, shakey, insecure and loud. There are numerous rattles, squeaks and creaks in the cabin of my '05. BMW & Benz know how to build a capable and reliable sport suspension, not Lexus.
First, I'm sorry that you feel that way; but I disagree. In my opinion the SC430 is very well-made and, unlike its competitors from BMW and Mercedes Benz, extremely reliable. [If you don't believe me, then go to some of the forums for those automobiles and read what their owners are saying.] Because tyres are an important part of any car's suspension system, anyone owning the SC430 would be well advised to switch from the run-flats to "conventional" tyres to improve handling and ride. The SC430 was not built to perform or compete as a sports car. Someone purchasing the SC430 as a sports car would be disappointed and doing themselves, as well as the car, a disservice - purchase the Porsche Boxster-S instead for a true sports car in that price range. It's interesting that, perhaps, the major complaint from SC430 owners (and I include myself because I have had this complaint with the two that I have owned) is the interior noise. I now have an `04; I've owned it since May 2004, and the odo just crossed 9,000 miles. There's a noise that is either coming from under the passenger seat or from inside the passenger door panel, it's infrequent, I can't figure it out, but it's something I can certainly live with. My Dad owned convertables and I know that there are interior noises associated with those types of cars. As an aside, if you want to literally lose your mind on account of rattles and shakes in a convertable, ride in almost any older Corvette. Anyway, given that no car is perfect, I think that the SC430 does a lot better than its competitors in value, reliability, and overall satisfaction. [I think that this sentiment is bourne-out by the fact that most of the comments on this forum concern generally positive ownership experiences.]
Old 07-06-05, 06:30 AM
jk335
Driver School Candidate

Leslie: did you ever solve the issue with the passenger side pillar creak? I read your post when you said that it was a sort of reoccuring problem. I find if I just press on the dash it stops sqeeking, so I figured a little double sided tape or felt would alleviate the problem. It does jiggle over ever bump...
Old 07-06-05, 06:41 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Leslie: did you ever solve the issue with the passenger side pillar creak? I read your post when you said that it was a sort of reoccuring problem. I find if I just press on the dash it stops sqeeking, so I figured a little double sided tape or felt would alleviate the problem. It does jiggle over ever bump...
That's a good suggestion; I'll give it a try. The "creak", to even call it that because the sound is no offensive, is so infrequent that I can't isolate a condition that would cause it to occur. To my recollection, however, I have never heard it when someone was sitting in the passenger seat. Anyway, it's an impracticle car that's a lot of fun!
Old 07-06-05, 06:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I honestly never even noticed the "creak " you guys are talking about, & I' ve had the car for close to 3 years
Old 07-06-05, 08:13 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Again, I had the same problem. The dealer could not fix it as usual. My solution was to hit the back of the seat with my fist and it would stop momentarily. Another one of the reasons I dumped the car.
Old 07-06-05, 10:33 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I experienced the same rattle/creak/groan on my SC. The dealer was not able to correct it and the District representative diagnosed it as cowl shake and stated that this is normal on a roadster/ convertible. Same party line "This is normal" but I have read road tests on the SC and the testers also commented on the cowl shake.

The run flats on the SC are harsh and changing rims is not going to get rid of the harsh ride. I test drove a BMW 645 this weekend with run flat tires and was amazed at how well the car rode in comparison to the SC. Lexus needs to re-tune the suspension, if they are going to continue to sell the car with run flats .
I'm curious. Now that you've done the test drive thing, what's your impression of the BMW 645?
Old 07-06-05, 10:39 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

I put 20"s on my 2002 SC430 and lowered it. It now runs smoother better than it did stock and it looks ten times better. The run flats are a joke! If you get regular tires on 18"s and dont even lower it you should have the smoothest and most comfortable drive around, it will just look like crap. You will waste money by buying the OEM rims and they are sooo ugly and cheap. Life is too short to roll on stocks with an SC430, live it up! If you want a conservative ride get a volvo.

Regarding the rattles I have no good advice, sorry.
Old 07-06-05, 10:46 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I'm curious. Now that you've done the test drive thing, what's your impression of the BMW 645?
It drives and handles very well and has decent power. The interior looks and feels cheap and ther is little passenger room in the rear seat. I truly like the styling from the front and the side but the rear view with the hump on the trunk is awful. I think I have found the missing rear from the Chrysler Crossfire coupe, it is on the 645.

Overall it is a nice car but in my estimation overpriced for what you get.
Old 07-06-05, 02:16 PM
dsimo
Driver

I've got to say...25,000 miles on my '02, and not a squeak, a creak, or a problem of any sort! Knock on birds-eye maple!
Old 07-06-05, 04:22 PM
MNPine

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
As an aside, if you want to literally lose your mind on account of rattles and shakes in a convertable, ride in almost any older Corvette. Anyway, given that no car is perfect, I think that the SC430 does a lot better than its competitors in value, reliability, and overall satisfaction. [I think that this sentiment is bourne-out by the fact that most of the comments on this forum concern generally positive ownership experiences.]

I have owned 5 Corvettes from 1973 up to a 2000 Convertible (the last two were convertibles) which I sold to purchase the SC430. I know a lot of folks tell horrible stories about the Vette but I never really noticed any problems. I am not saying they did not exist. I just focused on the positive aspects of the car. I am not sure I ever expected the Vette to be rattle free. Of course with the SC430 I expect more of a quiet ride and so far that is exactly what I am experiencing.

Since I lived with runflats on the Vette I think the SC430 is a dream with runflats on it. I guess it is all up to your perspective and where/what car you are comparing it to or coming from.

The SC430 is no Corvette but I don't expect it to be. I guess that holds true to other cars you can compare against the SC430.

Last edited by MNPine; 07-31-05 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-05, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think you should take the car to dealership since there might be sensors inside for the roof, you got warranty anymore. my car is dead quiet and i don't have any issue

and tyLuurrr, too bad you get a bad car there i guess. go read the jd power associate reviews on the sc430

Quick Reply: Rattle question for the SC430... and questions not answered in search feature