SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 09:51 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Just discovered this one. Of course, the NAV always displays text at the bottom indicating the street you are on, but if you want to determine your EXACT position, just press DESTINATION and then EMERGENCY. Your precise location appears on the display, above the HOSPITAL, POLICE, DEALER buttons.
Old 12-30-12, 10:13 AM
DavidRider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am learning so much in this thread! Had my Silver/Black 02 since 06. Didn't know about mirrors in reverse, radio etc.

Did just repaired my front door speakers that I learned how to do from Club Lexus. Now researching on the trunk lifts and power antenna repairs that seem to be pretty common.
Old 01-01-13, 10:15 AM
margie
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I have noticed my speakers cracking on my 2003 sc430. What did you do? Did go with the factory

Speakers? I have it in storage for the winter, and am looking for some advice as how to proceed. I don't want to change anything externally.

But would also like to maintain the current quality of speakers inside now. What did you do?
Old 01-01-13, 04:57 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Just discovered this one. Of course, the NAV always displays text at the bottom indicating the street you are on, but if you want to determine your EXACT position, just press DESTINATION and then EMERGENCY. Your precise location appears on the display, above the HOSPITAL, POLICE, DEALER buttons.
Wooooooooo - that's cool. Have to try it tomorrow.
Old 08-06-13, 07:57 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Still learning things.

If you are routing to a destination and press on the screen, the map centers on that place. Everyone knows that.

But what I just noticed is that what is normally the "Miles to Destination" on the left margin of the screen changes to the miles to the place you touched. Not only that, but it gives a continuous update of how far you are from that point as you are moving.

Kinda useful in some situations. Note that the distance is "as the crow flies" and not road mileage.
Old 08-07-13, 07:20 AM
rapyoke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by margie
Hi, I have noticed my speakers cracking on my 2003 sc430. What did you do? Did go with the factory

Speakers? I have it in storage for the winter, and am looking for some advice as how to proceed. I don't want to change anything externally.

But would also like to maintain the current quality of speakers inside now. What did you do?
I just replaced the ML passenger door speaker for ~$160. From my understanding (I'm an IT guy by trade, not an audio expert), the impedance is such that aftermarket speakers don't play nicely.
Old 08-07-13, 07:25 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Your question is in the wrong thread
Old 08-07-13, 10:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Still learning things.

If you are routing to a destination and press on the screen, the map centers on that place. Everyone knows that.

But what I just noticed is that what is normally the "Miles to Destination" on the left margin of the screen changes to the miles to the place you touched. Not only that, but it gives a continuous update of how far you are from that point as you are moving.

Kinda useful in some situations. Note that the distance is "as the crow flies" and not road mileage.
I find new stuff with the NAV system almost every time I use it, but that is mainly because I use it so seldom that I forget...
Old 08-12-13, 06:04 PM
Blackrain
Driver School Candidate

If you don't like the eye sore antenna hold down rds button it will go back down.

20x10.5 rear 20x9.5 fornt wheels fit with no issues (not lower yet)

After deleting my resonators you get racers wanting to race you. Lol

People will hate you for no reason.
Old 08-17-13, 10:40 PM
GregZ1969
Driver School Candidate

What an awesome thread. Learned a lot of great stuff. Is there a setting to have the door over the Nav open when you turn on the car and then close automatically when you then the car off?
Old 08-19-13, 10:38 PM
Alex818
Driver

The RDS thing doesn't retract my antenna back. Can anyone else do this?

Originally Posted by Blackrain
If you don't like the eye sore antenna hold down rds button it will go back down.

20x10.5 rear 20x9.5 fornt wheels fit with no issues (not lower yet)

After deleting my resonators you get racers wanting to race you. Lol

People will hate you for no reason.
Old 08-20-13, 06:58 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex818
The RDS thing doesn't retract my antenna back. Can anyone else do this?
Turning RDS off will make the antenna retract WHEN THE RADIO ISN'T IN USE.

So, this trick will lower the antenna while you're playing a CD or (eeeep!) a tape.

However, the antenna will still go up (and stay up) while you're listening to the radio.

Does that help?
Old 08-20-13, 12:11 PM
Alex818
Driver

I thought he was referring to the antenna retracting while radio is in use. Nevermind.,
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Habious
Turning RDS off will make the antenna retract WHEN THE RADIO ISN'T IN USE.

So, this trick will lower the antenna while you're playing a CD or (eeeep!) a tape.

However, the antenna will still go up (and stay up) while you're listening to the radio.

Does that help?
Old 09-10-13, 12:35 PM
margie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rapyoke
I just replaced the ML passenger door speaker for ~$160. From my understanding (I'm an IT guy by trade, not an audio expert), the impedance is such that aftermarket speakers don't play nicely.
How did you purchase the speaker? thru Lexus? internet? I have someone availiabe to install the speaker, just not sure how to proceed.
Thanks,
Margie
Old 09-10-13, 03:07 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How did you purchase the speaker? thru Lexus? internet? I have someone availiabe to install the speaker, just not sure how to proceed.
Thanks,
Margie
I think few people here have used silicon glue over the cracked speaker, not sure about the quality of sound.

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it