SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

INJEN Intake. DYNO Results (PIC)...Myth Buster!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09 | 01:06 PM
RPIpower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02Ku
I've dynoed my car (both stock and with the injen intake) and I have had opposite results. Without the injen intake my HP was 228 and 245 Torque; similar to your results (blue lines). With the intake I have 235 HP and 248 Torque. Same dyno, same setup, different days.

Granted, a 7 HP increase is a little too much gain just using an intake, so I attribute that to a hot summer versus late fall. I would expect 3-5 HP as I have put several intakes on several vehicles and seen these types of results. I also can ensure you that I have not lost 25 HP, as you would be able to tell when you are driving.

I would suspect that something is not correctly hooked up or Race Precision is not really precise.

Others - can you post up your results.
How was your car dynoed? Was it an eddy current dyno or was it an inertia dyno. Was the shop that dynoed your car the same shop that sold you the intake? Was the hood open? How many runs? Was there a cool down?

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
I tend to agree with O2Ku. I installed an Injen intake on our 2002 SC. While I didn't notice any huge increase in power I don't believe a huge decrease happened either. If the intake caused a 25 Hp drop I would have noticed. The curves for the torque and Hp will have shifted in the RPM band I'm sure but I didn't take a 10% hit on power and torque. No intake is going to make that amount of change as O2Ku said.
You would be surprised at how much the sound effects what you "feel". Being a speed freak and wanting my car to make power without compromise, I would NEVEr put a hot air intake like that on ANY of my cars. I challenge any of you with a hot air intake against a car with stock intake.
Old 03-10-09 | 01:43 PM
chrispy

The stock intake for the GS and SC are very efficient. A simple pipe and a filter most likely won't be better than the factory design. That said, I have the Injen intake and I got it for the sound.
Old 03-10-09 | 01:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by RPIpower
That is not an accurate statement. What changes the most is NOT afr. When the IATs reach a certain level, the ignition timing is pulled.
You need both data points. California hasn't gotten ridiculously hot to the point where ignition would retard due to intake air temperature.
Old 03-10-09 | 01:52 PM
KiNg430
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rahstyles
Okay the red is with regular engine oil

and the blue is with purple royal engine oil
HA HA What the hell are you talking about..
Old 03-10-09 | 02:49 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

I find the results lack credibility, due to the huge change in performance. It's common knowledge that changing intakes does little for performance increases, and I would think the opposite true for performance decreases.
If I understand the your premise correctly, there is a 20 HP drop due to simple difference in intake air temp., even though you used a 70 mph fan (bad a$$ fan by the way).
If you had posted results of a 3 HP drop, similar to what many have posted as gains, I would have found those results more believable.
Doesn't matter to me, though. I'm gettin' flames put on which will make up for any loss of performance on my car....
Old 03-10-09 | 03:55 PM
SEVY B
Driver

Since some of you are still having a hard time believing the non-biased data gathered from the eddy current dyno, I asked Race Precision Inc. to elaborate on the results of this exam. Hopefully, this will clarify.

Designing an intake is a complicated thing and its not as simple as slapping on a steel or aluminum pipe with an induction filter. For several years, companies like Injen, Fujita, etc. have been making induction type intakes that are called “Cold Air Intakes (or Induction), when in all reality, many of them have no source of cold air. In the instance of your SC430, the intake filter location (under hood) was sucking in a LOT of hot air. We measured your IAT (intake air temperature) at 166+ when your Injen intake was on. With the stock air box/intake, your IAT was at 92. That is a difference of over 50 degrees. Any reputable tuner will tell you that IATs are extremely important and every 10 degree swing can be +/- 1% in power. As for dyno charts, most of the companies dyno with the hood open and a fan blowing at the induction filter. This is a very inaccurate way of testing an intake. The flow dynamics of the entire engine bay is changed when the hood is open as the car was NOT designed to be driven without a hood. I know you are going to be bashed on the forums but most of the bashing will come from people that are “forum educated” and don’t have a clue how to properly make/tune an intake. You should challenge any of those guys with similar mods to you to race. I can guarantee you that your car with the stock airbox will be faster than a car with the “hot air intake”.

Regards,

Eloy Way
Race Precision, Inc.
7029 Marcelle Street
Paramount, CA 90723
Tel: 562-630-5966
Fax: 562-630-5968
Old 03-10-09 | 05:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
You need both data points. California hasn't gotten ridiculously hot to the point where ignition would retard due to intake air temperature.

Actually I stand corrected (myself ). I had forgotten that the OEM intake is a ram air setup unlike most cars. Big difference!
Old 03-10-09 | 05:45 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SEVY B
Since some of you are still having a hard time believing the non-biased data gathered from the eddy current dyno, I asked Race Precision Inc. to elaborate on the results of this exam. Hopefully, this will clarify.

Designing an intake is a complicated thing and its not as simple as slapping on a steel or aluminum pipe with an induction filter. For several years, companies like Injen, Fujita, etc. have been making induction type intakes that are called “Cold Air Intakes (or Induction), when in all reality, many of them have no source of cold air. In the instance of your SC430, the intake filter location (under hood) was sucking in a LOT of hot air. We measured your IAT (intake air temperature) at 166+ when your Injen intake was on. With the stock air box/intake, your IAT was at 92. That is a difference of over 50 degrees. Any reputable tuner will tell you that IATs are extremely important and every 10 degree swing can be +/- 1% in power. As for dyno charts, most of the companies dyno with the hood open and a fan blowing at the induction filter. This is a very inaccurate way of testing an intake. The flow dynamics of the entire engine bay is changed when the hood is open as the car was NOT designed to be driven without a hood. I know you are going to be bashed on the forums but most of the bashing will come from people that are “forum educated” and don’t have a clue how to properly make/tune an intake. You should challenge any of those guys with similar mods to you to race. I can guarantee you that your car with the stock airbox will be faster than a car with the “hot air intake”.

Regards,

Eloy Way
Race Precision, Inc.
7029 Marcelle Street
Paramount, CA 90723
Tel: 562-630-5966
Fax: 562-630-5968
Thanks for the info!!

What is the best way to achieve a true cold air intake?
Old 03-10-09 | 08:40 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

I'm posting up my dyno results as soon as I can book time. For those who have dyno'd their cars, can you post them up as well? Unfortunately, until the [actual] results of dynos are compared, there really won't be an end to this discussion as one dyno result does not make a truth.
Old 03-10-09 | 08:49 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Here are my numbers,

Type of dyno: Dynojet
Run conditions:
Temp 76.3
Bars 1024.6
Humid 18%

MAX POWER = 262.5
MAX TQ = 279.1

But keep in mind that I modified my own intake and it ducts cold air in from the oem scoop above the radiator and another channel I made to divert air from the front grille.
Old 03-10-09 | 09:03 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
Here are my numbers,

Type of dyno: Dynojet
Run conditions:
Temp 76.3
Bars 1024.6
Humid 18%

MAX POWER = 262.5
MAX TQ = 279.1

But keep in mind that I modified my own intake and it ducts cold air in from the oem scoop above the radiator and another channel I made to divert air from the front grille.
That is certainly the correct way to do it. That said the stock system incorporates a helmholtz resonator that in many applications has proven performance gains. Aftermarket intakes do not offer this. Peter Scott of Planet Soarer did multiple tests with aftermarket and homemade large tube intakes and ultimately found the best power and performance by modifying his stock SC400/Soarer intake by ducting a large quantity of cool air to the filter of an otherwise stock system. I made a similar modification to my LS400 stock system and in back to back multiple runs testing at the dragstrip found a consistent 0.5mph gain which equals about 5rwhp.

As stated by others... testing with the hood OPEN is not the same as closed ESPECIALLY with open element designs.
Old 03-10-09 | 09:06 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i have always believed intake and exhaust are nothing but sound effect on the car, i wouldn't really expect much power gain from them
For cat back systems this statement is pretty accurate.

HOWEVER... I can think of one exhaust mod that is most definitely a power maker and very noticeable in the cars performance
Old 03-10-09 | 09:07 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbrady
That is certainly the correct way to do it. That said the stock system incorporates a helmholtz resonator that in many applications has proven performance gains. Aftermarket intakes do not offer this. Peter Scott of Planet Soarer did multiple tests with aftermarket and homemade large tube intakes and ultimately found the best power and performance by modifying his stock SC400/Soarer intake by ducting a large quantity of cool air to the filter of an otherwise stock system. I made a similar modification to my LS400 stock system and in back to back multiple runs testing at the dragstrip found a consistent 0.5mph gain which equals about 5rwhp.

As stated by others... testing with the hood OPEN is not the same as closed ESPECIALLY with open element designs.
Planet Soarer was where got the idea from, after modifying my SC400's intake and having such good results I knew that I could do the same with my 430 and utilize both the oem scoop and a custom one I fabricated the radiator and another channel I made to divert air from the front grille.
Old 03-12-09 | 02:02 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
Planet Soarer was where got the idea from, after modifying my SC400's intake and having such good results I knew that I could do the same with my 430 and utilize both the oem scoop and a custom one I fabricated the radiator and another channel I made to divert air from the front grille.
Tommy - do you have any pics of this? I made a diverter out of aluminum and placed it behind the right side of the grill, then opened up the area in front of the air box location where I have a fiberglass heat shield. I think this is giving me better airflow, and hopefully keeping the intake air temp down. I'd like to see what you've done with the oem scoop. I've been trying to find an extra one of those to modify, too.
Thanks,
Cecil
Attached Thumbnails INJEN Intake. DYNO Results (PIC)...Myth Buster!!-diverter-ht-shield.jpg  
Old 03-12-09 | 02:46 PM
RPIpower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Brah Pitt
Thanks for the info!!

What is the best way to achieve a true cold air intake?
The factory intake is the best design. The key is getting more cold air into the stock system.

Originally Posted by CAMAracer
I'm posting up my dyno results as soon as I can book time. For those who have dyno'd their cars, can you post them up as well? Unfortunately, until the [actual] results of dynos are compared, there really won't be an end to this discussion as one dyno result does not make a truth.
Dyno results are really nothing. It all depends on the dyno and how it was dynoed.

Originally Posted by jbrady
For cat back systems this statement is pretty accurate.

HOWEVER... I can think of one exhaust mod that is most definitely a power maker and very noticeable in the cars performance
This is false. If you design the exhaust correctly, you can make more power. Most companies will throw in larger pipes and say its "more free flowing". This is not always the case. The proper design will allow for more volume of exhaust gasses while maintaining exhaust gas velocity. This is not always acheived by going with larger than oem piping. Its a gimic.

Originally Posted by TXFM
Tommy - do you have any pics of this? I made a diverter out of aluminum and placed it behind the right side of the grill, then opened up the area in front of the air box location where I have a fiberglass heat shield. I think this is giving me better airflow, and hopefully keeping the intake air temp down. I'd like to see what you've done with the oem scoop. I've been trying to find an extra one of those to modify, too.
Thanks,
Cecil
Generally, heat shields are used to block radiant heat. With the sc430, the manifold is there but it has its own heatshield. The heat shields used for induction type cone filters dont help with underhood temperatures. You're not trying to block radiant heat now.

Quick Reply: INJEN Intake. DYNO Results (PIC)...Myth Buster!!