SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trunk lid hitting bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-09, 04:09 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk lid hitting bumper.

I keep getting a black mark on the very top center lip of the bumper, just below the lexus emblem on the trunk. I had no idea where it was coming from. (I didn't even think to mention it to the dealer when I had the struts replaced under warranty last week.) It always still felt smooth as if it was under the paint. Sometimes, it was hard to get off with tar remover.
I had a mobile collision repair guy come to my house to do some work on my Honda CRV and I asked him to look at this and if this this mark was under the paint. He compounded it off. (it had recently come back again)
And then it occurred to me that the trunk might be touching the bumper when I opened the roof. I asked him to watch as I opened the roof. Sure enough, when opening the roof, the trunk lid fully extends backwards, compresses into the bumper slightly in the one center spot (enough to marr it but not permantly damage it).
I brought it to the dealer (Ray Cantena in Freehold, NJ) right away and they confirmed it. The believe the bumper is slightly extended and that it causing it to hit the trunk lip. Might be the clips? They don't know.
This car was purchased brand new, never been in an accident or even touched. They don't even want their guys touching it. They are sending to their body guy who does all the work for Catena to fix the problem.
Anyone else have this problem?

2006 white/ecru stock
10400 miles
Old 08-07-09, 06:07 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Yep, I get the mark also, although since my color is dark it is hardly noticeable. I never knew what caused it. My vehicle did have a cut on the bumper and the bumper it was replaced before I bought it. Maybe they didn't install it correctly. I'll have to take a look at the top going up/down to see if its hitting.

When you get this resolved, could you please post what the fix is?
Old 08-13-09, 10:05 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked the car up last night. It is fine now. They sent it to their body shop to adjust the bumper.
Apparently, the bumper was out a fraction from the factory so they adjusted it to where it no longer touches the trunk lid. Everything aligns perfectly. (even though it always looked aligned before)