SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

06+ Headlight Conversion, Thoughts and Tips....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 09:14 AM
diablo360
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06+ Headlight Conversion, Thoughts and Tips....

After scoring a set of 06 headlights for super super cheap thanks to the tip of a local CL member, I finally got around to getting everything installed this week. I was debating on whether or not to go through with the conversion, and at one point my entrepreneurial side even had me posting the headlights up for sale, but I ended up pulling the trigger.... My initial thoughts are that the 06+ headlights look awesome. I also have 06+ tails and G Spiders, so everything looks perfect (Pics to come shortly!). I definitely love the look and if I could go back in time I would have just paid a bit more and bought an 06+. As far as the costs go, i'm not sure that I would do the conversion, or even recommend it, unless you can score a set of lamps for really cheap. I think my total cost was about $1500 including the headlights, labor/paint, and all parts.

As for the new parts needed, the previous postings were pretty spot on, but also left out a few crucial things, which pissed off my body shop guy and turned what essentially should have been a 1-2 day bumper paint/swap into a one week ordeal/parts search..... Here is a definitive list of what you need and what you can swap:

New parts needed
-06+ headlights (duh)
-06+ bumper
-06+ oem grille
-06+ oem chrome strip that accents the bottom side of the grille (I didn't know about this one!)
-06+ oem horizontal chrome strips that are near the fog lamps (there are 2 different part numbers!)
-new low beam hid bulbs (2)

Parts you can swap
-02-05 headlight leveling motors
-02-05 high beam bulbs
-02-05 parking bulb
-02-05 fog lamps and chrome trim that surrounds the lamps
-02-05 side indicator lights (the orange ones)

Here are some tips:

1. I was going to do the install myself, and am actually glad I didn't. Taking the bumper off is no problem, but swapping out everything and installing it on the new bumper is a MAJOR P.I.T.A. according to my body shop guy. There are tons of things that needed to be swapped out and it takes a while to install..... If you're already having the bumper painted by a professional then you're better off just having them do it. It'll save you a LOT of hassle in the end, and plus it guarantees that you don't scratch and/or break anything. My total cost for paint/labor was $400 at a place that does work on high end European cars.

2. Make sure you have all the parts when you do the install. This is an obvious point but I can't stress the importance enough...... The chrome strip that goes on the bottom portion of the grille left me hanging for a few days. Also my headlights came without the dust covers for the bulbs, and without the plug for the turn signal indicators. My body shop guy was nice enough to tell me that I should order them and do it the right way, as water/humidity can get in the lights if they aren't sealed properly.

3. The fog lamps are NOT and exact fit. The funny thing is that the chrome trim IS, but the actual lamp shape is a little bit off, but it will still fit using the old brackets, and once they are on you can't really tell. I'm EXTREMELY **** about small details like this and it doesn't bother me, so most of you should be good to go.

I'll post more tips as everything comes to mind......
Old 04-09-10, 02:07 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Signal light sockets, plugs and bulbs are different.
Foglamps are the same, but the brackets are a little different.

There is no need to pay extra money for the mount brackets since the old ones can still fit fine.
Signal lights, on the other hand, need to be completely replaced although some members can make the old ones fit by using glue.
Old 04-11-10, 06:05 PM
diablo360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by talwang
Signal light sockets, plugs and bulbs are different.
Foglamps are the same, but the brackets are a little different.

There is no need to pay extra money for the mount brackets since the old ones can still fit fine.
Signal lights, on the other hand, need to be completely replaced although some members can make the old ones fit by using glue.
Ah yes, the signal lights! You're referring to the ones that plug into the headlight, correct? I got the new sockets and bulbs but my body shop guy couldn't get them plugged in. The old ones could be glued in but I wanted a 100% seal. I need to get this taken care of ASAP. What are my options at this point? It looks like I will need a new harness, or somehow have to splice the wiring.....
Old 04-11-10, 07:33 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

wow Diablo...nice job! Can't wait to see your pics. Your car is practically an 06+ now....just need to get the transmission and the guage clusters, which obviously are MAJOR undertaking and perhaps can't be done. Not sure if anyone has done them...or if they would even be compatible.
Old 04-11-10, 07:39 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo360
Ah yes, the signal lights! You're referring to the ones that plug into the headlight, correct? I got the new sockets and bulbs but my body shop guy couldn't get them plugged in. The old ones could be glued in but I wanted a 100% seal. I need to get this taken care of ASAP. What are my options at this point? It looks like I will need a new harness, or somehow have to splice the wiring.....
Yes, that plug or connector to the signal light socket is the last piece of the puzzle.

Part number 90980-11020 (thanks to tonydt1g3r)
Old 04-12-10, 05:25 AM
diablo360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by talwang
Yes, that plug or connector to the signal light socket is the last piece of the puzzle.

Part number 90980-11020 (thanks to tonydt1g3r)
Oh wow thank you so much! The last piece of the puzzle solved! I'll post some pics this week once it stops raining over here.....
Old 02-06-11, 08:11 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

where are the pics man?
Old 02-07-11, 09:29 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't see a point of doing the whole conversion if so many things need to be replace. Except for the 06+ tail light (easy job). It would be cheaper to get an 06+ instead.
Old 02-14-11, 08:24 AM
diablo360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by grabber2
I don't see a point of doing the whole conversion if so many things need to be replace. Except for the 06+ tail light (easy job). It would be cheaper to get an 06+ instead.
Eh, not really..... I scored all of the parts (for the front end) for less than $1200, and then painting the bumper was another $300. The price difference between an 05 and an 06 doesn't seem like much, and often times is less than $2-3k. However, if you have to trade in your car then the difference is even bigger as you always take a hit. And for those who have a lower mileage 02-05, they might have to sacrifice their well maintained lower mileage car, for the newer car with an unknown history.

Like I said, I wouldn't have done it if I had to pay full price for all the parts. If you can be patient and take your time to look for the parts cheap, then yes it might be worth it. I definitely liked the look and would never drive an sc with the 02-05 headlights.

Just fyi, as much as I loved the SC, I sold it and bought a Porsche 911 hehe.