SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus service rates are negotiable...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 08:01 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus service rates are negotiable...

Just a heads up for anyone who doesn't know. Most Lexus dealerships will work with you on their service rates. I have an '02 and procrastinated on the timing belt. I just took it to Lexus to have it done.

First, I called Toyota to get their rate - $499. Then I called Lexus - $720. I asked if they would match Toyota's rate. He said he'd check and call me back. He called back and left a message that they would do it for $561.

I waited and called him back this morning. I then asked if they could include an oil change for that price. He said $561 was the best he could do. I told him I'd think about it and call him back. Ten minutes later, he called and said the assistant manager said they could wave their shop fees and do it for $522. I agreed.

So with a little bit of haggling, I saved $200. I don't think this will always work. But with the down economy, I think a lot of people are skipping scheduled maintenance, putting it off, or going somewhere cheaper. So they're hurting for business like everyone else.
Old 08-10-10, 09:01 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll try that next time I have a biggie fix coming up.
thanks liquid.
Old 08-10-10, 09:06 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did something similar. I needed an alignment and wheel balance and toyota had a coupon. I called my lexus dealer and they said they would not take toyota coupons but would take lexus coupons. I went on line and found the best lexus coupon (15% off) and they accepted it. Not real great but better than nothing.
Old 08-10-10, 11:03 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My Lexus dealer charges about $92 for 4-wheel alignment, which I consider reasonable. However, my friendly Firestone shop will sell me a lifetime alignment for a few dollars more. Same with wheel balance. My expectation is that Lexus wouldn't see this as competitive. Any thoughts or comments? Anyone have good experience with the big-name tire service companies?
Old 08-10-10, 11:21 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

cjs18...I bought Bridgestone Potenza's from Firestone along with their lifetime alignment and balance. After about 4 months I had a balance problem and took it back to Firestone. They did a road force balance. I drove it for another week and could still feel a slight vibration. They replaced one of the tires and redid the road force balance. Everything is good now. I can't imagine what the dealer could have done to improve resolving the problem over what Firestone did.
Old 08-10-10, 11:29 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
I bought Bridgestone Potenza's from Firestone along with their lifetime alignment and balance.
That's exactly what the previous owner of my SC did. I think it paid off for him as well judging from the service order receipts I got with the car. I am not sure how I am going to approach the next alignment and balance event yet, but I appreciate your feedback.
Old 08-10-10, 05:48 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Along these lines.. I have another option. There are many excellent Lexus shops where techs have gone out on their own, and do Lexus certified work.
The prices are 50% or more of the dealer prices.

Case in point..

Went to my local dealer, and asked for a AC belt replacement and to turn my rotars. Quote was $461.00

Went to my awesome Lex Tech shop.. certified Lexus master mechanic..

I asked for the above, and to check my timing belt..which is a bit of a job, because its hard to get to..

Bill out the door ..$185.00! I even got a loaner!

You tell me what was easier to pay!

Any one in metro Arizona, who wants to know.. PM me..
Katy
Old 08-10-10, 05:52 PM
thelopez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 tacoma wore out its tires inside of the tires out in 30k, I bought new tires at Costco and got a lifetime at Discount tire center. I goto costco every 5-10k for free rotation then goto Discount tire to get a free alignment check. I have 50k on them now and probably have another 10k if not more left. A life time alignment is about 1.5 - 2x the price, but about the price of 1 tire, I consider it tire insurance and tires are expensive. If it save 25% of each tire, I'm even after the first tire change.
Old 08-11-10, 06:45 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

THELOPEZ--I too used Discount Tire for lifetime alignments (on 3 of my cars) but have been several time where they did a poor job. I used fullerton-where do you go? Wasnt sure where you are located-I'm in Diamond Bar.

John
Old 08-31-10, 09:21 PM
thelopez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry of the delayed response. I've gone to the one in WLA on Sepulveda and PCH in Hermosa, but I guess its just a crap shoot, I haven't gone in about a year, since I feel no pull and my tires are looking good. Maybe it's a little different with my 4x4 Taco