SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Passenger side driving problems at slow speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 08:01 AM
darnot10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side driving problems at slow speed

So my wife informs me this week that her 2003 SC 430 was acting up, making noises at slow speeds. We purchased this back in August with 49k and currently it has 52k. Right after purchasing it I took it to my friend's shop (Davenport Motors) and had the 45k mile service as I didn't find a receipt for it in the manual. The car had only been driven 19k in the last 4.5 years. Only two known problems so far is: 1. passenger woofer speaker was toast (since repaired following ZGone's advice). 2. TPMS light is on and Jimy at Davenport told me that it was most likely a defected sensor (estimated cost $50). Told him I could live with that until the 60k check up.

I got up this morning to drive it up to Starbucks and only got two houses before putting it back in the garage and informed my wife not to drive. She said it didn't make that type of noise, wobbling, etc. at higher speeds. I checked all four tires to see if any were rubbing and didn't notice anything. I've been trying to search CL all morning to see if any similar problems and the only thing I can come up with is maybe it could be the suspension, rotors, RFT (which by the way are going to be replaced in the next month or two). So I would appreciate any feedback to guide me in the right direction from all the experts out here. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-11, 08:49 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

She said it didn't make that type of noise, wobbling, etc. at higher speeds.
love a challenge... What kind of noise is it and when does it happen? Not sure what a wobble noise is.
Old 01-15-11, 09:02 AM
darnot10
Driver

it's as if it is a rubbing??? noise. Maybe I should go drive it again and get it out of the neighboorhood but I'm afraid of damaging something even more. Having a car with run flats is new to me so I wouldn't know what to expect if something is wrong with them. I'll go check the tire pressure, drive it and come back and report. Thanks.
Old 01-15-11, 10:20 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

darnot-sounds like you have a garage queen, aka starbucks cruiser, like me!

If you heard that louder, "pop" sound that is traditionally the brake calipers releasing from first putting it in reverse and then driver or braking for the first time after starting the car----then you are ok, this is normal.

Sounds like you are hearing a rubbing, so it could be a plethora of things...will need more info. I'm in Dallas...Plano area...if you are close I'd be glad to link up with you to see if I can help.

Could be:
Flat tire-again you would notice, but perhaps the RFT is kicking in that's why??
Wheel lining-rubbing against tire
Brake caliper-maybe not releasing? (rare)
Rotors (rare)
Something with control arm or suspension (rare)
E-brake on? You would notice the light
Engine pan/lower cover is loose on bottom of the car and rubbing against ground

My guess is the RFT, but will wait till hear more

PM me if you need some help and are close in Plano
Old 01-15-11, 01:18 PM
darnot10
Driver

You are correct! It was the RFT. I was going to take it out of the hood but decided I'd check all the pressure in the tires. Got the compressor down, started checking them one by one and noticed that the first three that I checked was reading around 25psi so I put them up to 32psi. Got to the last one which was the passenger back I put my gauge in and didn't register anything! So I went back to the third tire to make sure my gauge was working and it was. I felt the tire and it seemed fine. Remember, this is my first car ever with RFT and my first real luxury car! So I proceeded to put air in it and wasn't getting no reading but noticed a sound like the air was exiting as fast as entering. Got on the floor and noticed the tire was slashed up! So I'm guessing my wife was able to drive due to the RF kicking in. At least it's an easy fix.

Ever since I've been reading all the posts here on CL I've been amazed at all the information you guys have here and I really enjoy ALL of your posts. I purchased this car for my wife as we gave our son her 2003 Honda Accord. He wasn't allowed to have a car at the USAFA until his junior year so he is happy now (and so is my wife). We live in the Frisco area around Lebanon and Legacy so we are real close. Can't wait to do some meet and greets with the fellow CL. Wished I was on here before the Rudy's gathering as that is right up the street from me. So do you have any recommendations for new tires? I saw one post where the CL member put some Michelin's on. I was looking at Discount Tire's website earlier and there are quite a few to choose from. I typically go with a four star rating (not the highest priced or the lowest priced). I guess it would be ok to drive it to the tire shop? Thanks for your input.
Old 01-15-11, 01:43 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it was a simple fix.

Welcome to CL, darnot10!
Old 01-15-11, 01:48 PM
darnot10
Driver

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Glad it was a simple fix.

Welcome to CL, darnot10!
thanks. look forward to it.
Old 01-15-11, 02:00 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by darnot10
You are correct! It was the RFT. I was going to take it out of the hood but decided I'd check all the pressure in the tires. Got the compressor down, started checking them one by one and noticed that the first three that I checked was reading around 25psi so I put them up to 32psi. Got to the last one which was the passenger back I put my gauge in and didn't register anything! So I went back to the third tire to make sure my gauge was working and it was. I felt the tire and it seemed fine. Remember, this is my first car ever with RFT and my first real luxury car! So I proceeded to put air in it and wasn't getting no reading but noticed a sound like the air was exiting as fast as entering. Got on the floor and noticed the tire was slashed up! So I'm guessing my wife was able to drive due to the RF kicking in. At least it's an easy fix.

Ever since I've been reading all the posts here on CL I've been amazed at all the information you guys have here and I really enjoy ALL of your posts. I purchased this car for my wife as we gave our son her 2003 Honda Accord. He wasn't allowed to have a car at the USAFA until his junior year so he is happy now (and so is my wife). We live in the Frisco area around Lebanon and Legacy so we are real close. Can't wait to do some meet and greets with the fellow CL. Wished I was on here before the Rudy's gathering as that is right up the street from me. So do you have any recommendations for new tires? I saw one post where the CL member put some Michelin's on. I was looking at Discount Tire's website earlier and there are quite a few to choose from. I typically go with a four star rating (not the highest priced or the lowest priced). I guess it would be ok to drive it to the tire shop? Thanks for your input.
Yes! We need to all meet in DFW again. I will organize since I am the schmuk who had the idea last time and then couldn't make it!!

I have Yokohama S. Drives on mine and love them. They were inexpensive, smooth, well-wearing and i love the look of them. Nice and quiet too.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...08064&sw=false

$167/ea at Discount Tire. Park and Tollway has them in stock.

Free lifetime air check, balance and rotate-you can't beat that! And...if you find the price cheaper on www.tirerack.com they will match. Check it out

That's my two cents. I'm sure others will chime in.

I've had the Dunlap Direzzos on my 2002 before and they were not as good.

Great news about it being the tire. You will love the non-RFT's once you get them off!
Old 01-15-11, 03:18 PM
darnot10
Driver

Thanks for the input on the tires. I only buy from Discount Tires. I lived in Carrollton for 11 years and purchased a many set from that location. Now that I'm in Frisco I go to the one over on Ohio/121. I have some coupons coming my way via my Dad (Lawton Goodyear plant) for some Goodyear tires but they don't seem to rate well. I have purchased yokohoma's before (might be on my daughter's 4Runner or on my truck; can't remember). One question.....since the tire 'feels' fine do you think I can chance it going to Discount Tire?
Old 01-15-11, 05:12 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Only two known problems so far is: 1. passenger woofer speaker was toast (since repaired following ZGone's advice). 2. TPMS light is on and Jimy at Davenport told me that it was most likely a defected sensor (estimated cost $50).
I'd watch out for work done by Jimy at Davenport. If the TPMS light was on, he should have found the flat tire.
Old 01-15-11, 06:50 PM
darnot10
Driver

I don't think it was any fault on the service center (Davenport Motors) as this was several thousand miles ago. I believe the service was done in September 10 and this problem just occurred this past week. However, this is my first vehicle with the RFT so I'm learning! I'm going to use scdroptop's advice and purchase the Yokohama's at Discount Tire next week. I went to tirerack.com website and they are priced at 152 which is $11 less then Discount so they should be able to price match. Unless of course anyone else has a recommendation on tires because the RFT are history. I did look at the tires on the car and they are the Bridgeston Potenza RE040 which are not cheap.
Old 01-15-11, 07:51 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Print out the 4 tires at tirerack, make sure you add up the shipping, etc. Discount will match the price of the tire, but you will still have to pay a "fee" that kind of replaces the shipping charges, so it's still a deal, but not a steal. Still better than just buying them off the street at the $167. It will make sense when you go in there with the printout from tirerack. I've done it a trillion times. Works like a charm!

Davenport is a very well thought of non-franchise Lexus only service outfit here in Dallas. I haven't heard too much negative from them...except for maybe you don't get the polish and shine you do at Sewell, but then again you don't pay sewell prices either.
Old 01-15-11, 08:35 PM
darnot10
Driver

One of the reasons I went with the Lexus is because I know Craig. My son and his son played soccer together years ago so I'm a little biased.
Old 01-16-11, 10:24 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

I went with the Yokos YK520s. They only have a V rating but they also have a 60kmi warranty. They are way better than the old RF.
Old 01-16-11, 10:46 AM
darnot10
Driver

thanks for the info. I'll check on Discount Tire's website to read more about them; cost, etc....