SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

NavTool/Backup camera - Install - Pls Contribute

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 10:17 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it!!!! It's fixed.. the T-Splice crimps I used didnt cut in to the wire so it was not making a connection. I finally said screw it and spliced them and everything works.. helps when you have a connection right??
Old 03-13-11, 10:39 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Here are the pictures...

Camera installed.. i had to drill a whole next to the original right bolt hole to feed the camera wire thru.

Next I found a spot to feed the camera wire in to the trunk.. i pulled out this rubber piece and cut a bit off the side to accomdate the wire when I put it back in place.(picture is from the view of sitting inside the trunk looking at the back of the car)

Now here is all the wires! LOL you can see the Navtool unit there with all the wires coming out of it. It only comes with the plug and play harness for one of the connections but you have to splice the rest which is a 12v accessory power, ground, and reverse signal which lets the navtool automatically switch to the camera when you place the car in reverse..

Here you can see the plugs on the back of the navunit. One which is a plug and play on the right and the one on the left is where you have to splice your accesory 12volt, ground, and reverse signal wire.

Now if look on the big 18 pin plug on the left you will find a Gray wire which is a accessory 12v volt wire. You want to splice that in to the power plug of the navtool with the sticker that says "12V" on it. Then you want to find the white wire with black stripe which is the ground wire on the plug and splice it in to your ground wire(other wire) on power plug to nav tool.

Next on your navtool you will find a blue wire labeled "camera" and a white wire with it which is the ground. You want to take the blue wire and splice in to that same harness. You want to splice it in to the reverse wire on that harness which is yellow with a red stripe. The white wire you will also want to ground.

The only wires you should have left on the navtool is another white wire and a green handbrake wire. If you want to ground those both as well if you would like to operate the DVD if you choose to install one without having the handbrake up.

thats it.. make sure everything else is plugged us and neatly tuck and mount everything.

heres a video of it in action.. click picture to view.

Last edited by VIPNiSS; 03-13-11 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-13-11, 11:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Fantastic VIPNiSS.

Now somebody list the Bill of Material, how much and where to get it. Is there an earlier post on the NAV tool?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-11, 12:04 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

here is the final product after i tucked and cleaned everything up.

Old 03-13-11, 12:08 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Fantastic VIPNiSS.

Now somebody list the Bill of Material, how much and where to get it. Is there an earlier post on the NAV tool?

Thanks in advance.
Mandyfig,

i bought the Navtool brand new on eBay for $180 thru the "Best Offer" function. It was accepted right away. I have heard people were successful with $175 as well so you might try $170 first or even lower.

I also bought my license plate camera on eBay, the Boyo VTL425 Ultra Slim Black and spent $100 on that.

So my total was $280 and then of course my labor. That's all that is needed. If you area interested in installing a DVD player then you can buy a 12V dvd player as well and go ahead and plug that up while your at it.
Old 03-13-11, 12:38 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Great thanks.
Old 03-13-11, 01:32 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
I got it!!!! It's fixed.. the T-Splice crimps I used didnt cut in to the wire so it was not making a connection.
The electrical sage under whom I study has a saying: "Always check mechanical before blaming electrical." Smart man.

Glad its working for you. This is one of those things that I thought would be nice to have, but I didn't realize how really useful it was until after I started using it for awhile. Enjoy!