SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Clicking or rattle sound in roof driver side rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 05:51 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bimmer416
@ townsville, could you tell me what the parcel shelf is, perhaps a pic would be more helpful?

and another question for you guys, can i raise the roof halfway and leave it? I have never tried...

Ill get a pic of the exact area tomorrow (sorry for delay)! and thanks to everyone again!
I will try to locate a photo on this forum as there have been quite a few posts about the rear tray/parcel shelf and the rubber bump stop. I adjusted that rubber bump stop a few times before I *seemed* to get it right. The key to it seemed to be unscrewing the rubber bump stop and spraying silicone where the bump stop screws into the metal thread and spraying the top of the bumpstop where it comes into contact with the shelf.. Also, a key step seemed to be spraying the hinges of the rear tray/parcel shelf. The noise only completely stopped after spraying the hinges. Go figure.....

Yes, you can raise the roof halfway and leave it there. I don't know if the procedure differs from model to model but I leave the car idling and press the 'roof open' switch. As soon as the rear tray/parcel shelf flips into the vertical position, the rubber bump stop is exposed. I then turn the car off to work on it and the roof stays where it is until I start the car up again and press the roof switch. As the roof is heavy, depending on where you stop the roof during its opening up, it can manually 'fall' into the trunk. Once you know the right place to stop the roof, it is dead easy.

I will see if I can track that photo.

I need to mention that this *solution* has been arirved at after many attempts.
Old 10-01-13, 06:00 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
If your passenger seat and or your drivers seat is all the way back the leather on the back of the seat can rub against the rear seat. It make annoying noise . Try moving both your seats up.
i agree - you need to move the seats slightly forward to prevent rubbing. If you do need to have the seat all the way back, you can reduce the rubbing noise by applying Zanolin to the leather on the front of the rear seat and the back of the driver's seat
Old 10-01-13, 06:08 PM
nsdurner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
If your passenger seat and or your drivers seat is all the way back the leather on the back of the seat can rub against the rear seat. It make annoying noise . Try moving both your seats up.
I am pretty sure it wasn't that noise because I did notice that soon after I got that car. Unless someone has been moving my seat which is possible. I will check that again as well. I bought the lithium grease and plan on applying that this weekend.
Old 10-01-13, 06:29 PM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bimmer416
@ townsville, could you tell me what the parcel shelf is, perhaps a pic would be more helpful?

and another question for you guys, can i raise the roof halfway and leave it? I have never tried...

Ill get a pic of the exact area tomorrow (sorry for delay)! and thanks to everyone again!
here is a picture of the rear tray/parcel shelf in the vertical position with the rubber bump stop exposed. You can also see that the underside of the tray is secured by some black self tapping screws. As well as lubrication, I went the extra mile and unscrewed the bottom of the parcel shelf and used bubble wrap in between the two parts of the tray, being careful not to interfere with the tray's motorised movement
Attached Thumbnails Clicking or rattle sound in roof driver side rear-dsc00791copy.jpg  
Old 10-03-13, 01:39 PM
LyleJames
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just started following this thread, as I had this rattle earlier which I pinpointed to the parcel shelf. I adjusted the rubber bumper upward, and the rattle disappeared -- for about six months. Now I can hear it sneaking back. Two questions: exactly what kind of spray are you using on the parts? And I'm not sure looking at the photo exactly which hinges you've suggested be lubricated as well? Thanks
Old 10-05-13, 12:16 AM
townsville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LyleJames
I've just started following this thread, as I had this rattle earlier which I pinpointed to the parcel shelf. I adjusted the rubber bumper upward, and the rattle disappeared -- for about six months. Now I can hear it sneaking back. Two questions: exactly what kind of spray are you using on the parts? And I'm not sure looking at the photo exactly which hinges you've suggested be lubricated as well? Thanks
Q1: silicone spray

Q2: the hinges of the parcel shelf itself

good luck!
Old 10-07-13, 07:56 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey guys, after seeing a thread by "byrnech" (thanks to you)

"https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-430/712343-top-opening-issue-fixed-details-inside.html"

I beleive that metal piece resting on that bolt he points in the pic is what my rattle issue is, as whenever i get on a bumpy road, it feels like 2 metal pieces are bumping into each other (within a mm).. But to make sure I think we would need to cover that with something soft and see if it goes away.. tell me what you guys think?

sorry byrnech, hope you dont mind that i used a photo from your thread.
Clicking or rattle sound in roof driver side rear-set-20screw-20rest-202.jpg

Last edited by 416tt; 10-07-13 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-12-24, 08:06 AM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I recommend seeing this thread (I think this link goes straight to my post, but the entire thread is realtively short):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post11686017