SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Interesting Runflat Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 08:24 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Interesting Runflat Info

Since CL was down most of the day yesterday and I was going through withdrawals, I decided to visit the Lexus Owners forum in the U.K. I'm glad I did.

There was a very positive article in Yahoo Autos U.K. & Ireland about our car. The road test was done last month and really gave the SC430 high marks. However, I found the most interesting part of the article to be the following...

"Lexus also claims that its flagship car is 'the world's finest all-round luxury convertible', a contention the company would no doubt consider reinforced by the improvements made for the 2003 model.

These improvements include re-tuned suspension for what the company describes as '...an ever higher standard of Lexus ride-quality and refinement.' And ordinary tyres take the place of the previous run-flat affairs. Instead, customers get a 'Fill 'n' Go' repair kit that stows beneath the boot floor. And what a cunning boot. It opens at both ends: conventionally to admit luggage, and also from the leading edge to accommodate the hinged roof. With the roof stowed, luggage space is, of course, restricted, but a telescopic load cover delineates the area occupied by the folded roof; so it is possible to load the boot when the roof is closed without fear of its contents later being squashed. If load is more critical than fresh air, the boot is large enough to swallow a couple of golf bags or plenty of luggage. The boot capacity seems to be about 3 lbs (large brown suitcases)."

Considering the ever popular quandry about runflats vs. non-runflats and spare kits vs. no spare kits, I thought this was a pretty good solution to the problem. However, I don't know if these Fill n' Go kits are similar to Fix-a-flat. If so, they could damage the tire pressure sensors. But then I also don't know if the U.K. cars have pressure sensors.

Anyway, just found it interesting that Lexus is evidently starting to take the runflats off the cars bound for the U.K. When are they going to wise up with the U.S.-based SC's?

BTW, you can find the entire article in "www.lexusowners.co.uk". Enjoy!

DSeag2
Old 06-05-03, 08:25 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

.... make that "www.lexusownersclub.co.uk"!!