clear bumper lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 01:51 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a question. i tried really hard earlier today to try and take one of the sidemarkers out. i guess i must be doing something wrong because it was REALLY hard to get to it. i took out some of the bolts in the wheel well and i reached in and felt around. i felt the bolts on the sidemarker but there was no way that i could take it out. was i messing around in the right area or am i supposed to take out some bolts at a different location. if that was the right area....how in the world did you guys fit your hands in there and take the sidemarker out. well thats all i wanted to know. thank you all in advance and sorry for my stupidity.
Old 07-30-04, 02:05 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally posted by Alpha8A
i got a question. i tried really hard earlier today to try and take one of the sidemarkers out. i guess i must be doing something wrong because it was REALLY hard to get to it. i took out some of the bolts in the wheel well and i reached in and felt around. i felt the bolts on the sidemarker but there was no way that i could take it out. was i messing around in the right area or am i supposed to take out some bolts at a different location. if that was the right area....how in the world did you guys fit your hands in there and take the sidemarker out. well thats all i wanted to know. thank you all in advance and sorry for my stupidity.
It is a little hard to get the nuts off of the back of the bumper light, but it is just 2 small 8mm nuts directly on the back of the bumper light. You can see in this picture the 2 bolts that they hold onto. I just reached around with a 8mm deep socket and found them.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-04, 02:06 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally posted by dinh626
Nice work jared! ..........and NO! don't use the frosted lenses........save them for me when i come down
hahaha
Old 07-30-04, 02:07 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

so i was messing around in the RIGHT area? btw what does a deep socket wrench look like. i dont know what that looks like exactly. man it seems really hard to take that out and even harder to put it back on.
Old 07-30-04, 02:12 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

so i was messing around in the RIGHT area? btw what does a deep socket wrench look like. i dont know what that looks like exactly. man it seems really hard to take that out and even harder to put it back on.
Hopefully these pictures work to show you what I mean by a deep socket...

I don't know if there is enough space to use a wrench in there. And you also might be able to reach the nut with a regular socket too. But 8mm deep-socket is what I used.
Old 07-30-04, 02:26 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

did u use a ratchet then?
Old 07-30-04, 03:49 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

did u use a ratchet then?
Well mine happened to be on only hand tight, so I didn't need to use a ratchet. But most cars would probably require one yes.
Old 07-30-04, 08:23 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

thanks a lot for all of the help tryk. ill try again someday. first i need to find a dremel and get some clear silicone. i saw a deep socket thing today when i was at the local automotive store. i think itll be a lot easier if i use that than a regular socket thing since its longer. hopefully i wont need to use a ratchet because its really hard to get one of those suckers in there.
Old 07-30-04, 10:20 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job on the install Jared!! Looks very clean and professional. I hope everyone else is doing as well with their covers!!
Old 08-01-04, 05:51 PM
LexusPunk
Pole Position

I've been searching but now have grown tired....Can we put LEDs into these housings. I got the clear lenses and now I am in search for an LED setup that can plug in instead of a bulb. Also, if there is a setup would it even look good with my clear lenses?
Old 08-01-04, 05:53 PM
sc300n00b
Pole Position

Yes you can. That's what I did...just get 194/168 wedge type led bulbs (about $3-6 depepnding on where you look) and you should be set. I painted the housing and the bulb base black so it's pretty stealth too
Old 08-04-04, 02:34 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

i got some more questions guys. were all of your sidemarker bolts on hand tight?? mine is really tight in there and its really giving me a hard time. also, i can get access to the bolt thats closest to the wheel but the one that is further in (closer to the headlight) is also really hard to reach in. did you guys remove your wheels for better access? TIA
Old 08-04-04, 04:08 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

i got some more questions guys. were all of your sidemarker bolts on hand tight?? mine is really tight in there and its really giving me a hard time. also, i can get access to the bolt thats closest to the wheel but the one that is further in (closer to the headlight) is also really hard to reach in. did you guys remove your wheels for better access? TIA
Most bolts should NOT be on hand tight. It actually worries me a little that mine were only on hand tight as well as my back headlight bolts were also only on hand tight. It makes me wonder what other bolts are not on very tight??
It might be easier if you remove the wheel to give you some room to stick your head in there and possibly look and see the nut, but I did it all by touch and feel. I work on import cars all the time so I am used to working in tight places. You should be able to reach in there enough to feel the nut with your finger to get an idea where it is at. If not, maybe find someone with smaller hands? Anyway good luck!
Old 08-04-04, 04:09 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

try jacking the car up alpha8. good luck.
Old 08-10-04, 10:47 AM
Alpha8A
Driver

hey guys, are your bulbs touching the lens? on my sidemarker, the bulb is hitting the lens a LOT and makes the lens bulge. im thinking of not putting any lights in there for now until i can find maybe a smaller bulb because i would hate to see all of my hard work go down the drain when the lens falls off while im driving.

Quick Reply: clear bumper lights