Needing Parts! Please Help Me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-19 | 05:49 AM
widegoogly
Driver School Candidate

Default Needing Parts! Please Help Me!

I have a 92 SC400 with an ECU problem...I sent it off to get fixed and after waiting for weeks they call me and tell me its damaged beyond repair, im not sure how but now I am in this situation without a working ECU so therefore no working car. There is nothing else wrong other than the computer causing intermittent problems involving starting. I am unable to find one however that isnt a salvaged part. Im weary of them because of the age of the capacitors so Im not sure what can be done...Im hoping someone in this community of awesome helpful people might have a spare one to offer laying around. I am having such a hard time with this car since now I cant even drive it. I dont have money to drop on a refurbished one but I love this car and have been deprived of being able to enjoy it. Can anyone help me??? I have stuff to trade but really low on funds... Im restoring this car next summer so there are original parts that I won't be needing and Im willing to part with them. Even trade my old ECU. Im desperate for some help and would appreciate anything anybody can advise or assist me with so I can get back to my life.

My 92 SC400 stuck in place without a brain.
Old 11-05-19 | 05:55 PM
KahnBB6

Hey. Honestly what I suggest is what you've already encountered: you WILL need a capacitor serviced ECU that is compatible with your 1992 SC400.

Did you write down the part number on your original ECU before sending it in? If not, ask the shop you used to repair it. Failing that, consult this mostly complete list of ECUs and see if yours comes up so that you will know which ECU part number to ask for in the Clublexus Marketplace classifieds or what specific ECU part number to search for on eBay (yes, ebay):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-by-year.html

Failing that, give your VIN number to a Lexus dealer parts counter and they can tell you which ECU part number is specific to your SC400.

Now your 1992 SC400 shouldn't be a difficult one to find a replacement ECU for. There are a lot of the early model years out there.

Also, I'd recommend sending your replacement SC400 ECU to Tanin Auto Electronix in Racine, Wisconsin to get its capacitors serviced. Also, Tanin Auto can help you locate the correct ECU you will need. They may even have a couple of repaired ones compatible with a 1992 SC400 in stock. Just remember to specify your VIN for an exact match or at least be sure to note if your SC400 is a Federal or California Emissions model (the label under hood should say which) and whether or not your SC400 came with factory TRAC (traction control) or not.

Tanin also tests their repaired ECUs in on site SC300 and SC400 shop cars to be sure there aren't problems with them before sending them back to customers.

These ECUs are getting on in years now and usually they are fine but getting the electrolytic capacitors professionally replaced is a very common thing to have to do as they have gotten older. In most cases once that is done the computers are fine for another 20-25+ years.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-05-19 at 05:58 PM.