New owner, new member

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 01:10 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Here is the headlight schematic
Thanks. (Apparently, I need to have at least 10 characters in my response...)
Old 03-18-23, 01:15 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

TechStream is fantastic and does so many things
I found that video last night.
And BTW, thanks for helping me get my post count up so pinocchio can become a real boy and then post his signature on the forum...
Old 03-18-23, 01:21 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Here is one for $39 next day delivery, if it matters.
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-20-23, 11:32 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Fog Light Switch installed

I used a TPS tire set selection push button.

Old 03-22-23, 04:07 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Techstream

Save some $$$ and purchase TechStream
Got it. Spent 2 days searching the internet for the solutions to each roadblock to making it work. Just got it working on WIN7 laptop.
The vendor was not helpful. The instructions were not clear, the instructional video was in Japanese, phone support number was not a viable number.
So anyways....
I turned off the DRLs and found that one of the TPS sensors was not communicating.
Old 03-23-23, 07:58 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Spare Tire RX8

Another confused RX8 spare tire with an upgraded ride.

Last edited by GregMN; 03-23-23 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-24-23, 06:24 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Spare Tire with tool tray RX8 spare

Let's try this again with the tool tray.

Late in the night a mad man with a sawsall does unspeakable things to a plastic tool tray. Yet none of the function is lost. Except maybe the space for the jack....

A piece of triple wall cardboard formed to the tire. This cardboard will be the pattern for plywood that will be upholstered. I don't know why, but I cannot bring myself to cut up the Lexus floorboard. Maybe I will get over it. After all, I did have my way with the tool tray.....

So, you sort of get the wheel in place, but more upright, then you fit the floor board over it and work them down until they are both happy.

A 3/8" x 8" eyelet bolt, wingnut, and a homemade rubber washer, are used to secure the wheel. About 90 degrees of the eyelet circumference is cut off so it slips into one of the holes in the jack mount. Then cut to length.

If there is interest, I can figure out a way to post the pattern for the RX8 spare tire install. The abuse of the tool tray you can figure out by looking at the photo.
BTW: the jack is wrapped in a towel and sits nicely under the top of the spare, on top of the floorboard.

Last edited by GregMN; 03-28-23 at 10:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregMN:
doobs (10-09-23), teigen (03-24-23)
Old 03-24-23, 07:01 PM
teigen
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for sharing your mock-up of your spare tire installation. I just purchased a spare and was contemplating the best way to make it fit. I like this idea .

Not sure if our car never came with the tool tray, or if the previous owner removed it, but I don’t have one… so one less thing to deal with. I have an extra tool kit, scissor jack, & tire iron I can put I the car.
Old 03-28-23, 10:39 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Techstream cable for 02 - 05?

Reading this thread: Tech Stream Software Cable...
I found that I also had the problem of after using a code reader resulting in the VSC / VSC OFF error lights on the dash. In the thread they talked about opening the wire casing, finding the wire that is the offending #14 and cutting it. I got a 6' extension cable so I could position the laptop more conveniently for use.

Below is my solution. And, no, the cable is not giving me the finger. Just pin #14 bent out of the way. If I needed the extension cable for another use, and I could not afford to order another cable for $10, I suppose I could bend the pin back....

Old 03-29-23, 09:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregMN
Reading this thread: Tech Stream Software Cable...
I found that I also had the problem of after using a code reader resulting in the VSC / VSC OFF error lights on the dash. In the thread they talked about opening the wire casing, finding the wire that is the offending #14 and cutting it. I got a 6' extension cable so I could position the laptop more conveniently for use.

Below is my solution. And, no, the cable is not giving me the finger. Just pin #14 bent out of the way. If I needed the extension cable for another use, and I could not afford to order another cable for $10, I suppose I could bend the pin back....
great job, how did it work?
here was mine…guess you saw it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10852895

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-29-23 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 10:10 AM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Tech Stream Extension Cable

here was mine…guess you saw it
Yes I did. Quite elegant.

When I first got the extension I marked the 4 & 14 pins with a notch on the female end so I could quickly place my jumper after I used techstream. Then I thought maybe just make it so techstream didn't cause me to need to jump-to-reset anymore.

The next techstream project will be to replace/program tps #4 gold. It reads 1.8v. All the others read 2.6v. I am thinking of trying a $20 clone instead of a $90 oem. I have a post tire mount so I think can break the bead and do the tps swap myself. Do you know if anyone has had success programing a clone with techstream?

Thanks
Greg
Old 03-29-23, 10:32 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregMN
Do you know if anyone has had success programing a clone with techstream?

Thanks
Greg
It seems like I recall someone saying they used an Autel device to program the sensors, not sure if they said the sensors were made by Autel.
sorry I cannot be more help…
seems like Rockauto was selling an aftermarket sensor for the 2002-2006 models at one time.
do you have a link to the $20 clone?

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-29-23 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-30-23, 07:38 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Nope

do you have a link to the $20 clone?
Looking at them more carefully on ebay, I suspect that they will not work on an SC. They are marketed as being for a Sion. Since I was filtering my search for items that fit an SC there was a note after the title that "this item fits a 2002 SC430". I do not doubt that the tpms would fit on the wheel. I do doubt that it would work. The oem # is 42607-240(40), the last "40" is for the gold color sensor I need. Their item was not that number, or anything close, and all 4 in the set offered were the same number.
So... When I get ready to do that replacement I will spend the $90 on the correct OEM part.

Last edited by GregMN; 03-30-23 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (03-30-23)
Old 03-30-23, 08:16 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Why I want my TPMS system working

This is why I want a working tpms system on a car with low profile tires:
My wife is driving an SLK on a rural divided 4 lane highway. Top down, of course. She is passing a noisy dump truck. Out of the corner of her eye she sees a tire casing passing her and rolling down in to the median grass. It occurred to her that it must have come off of her car, though she did not notice the car handling any different or hear anything because she was passing a dump truck. So she backed off the throttle and coasted to the side of the road. All that was left on the wheel was the first 2 inches of the tire bead. Good that she was going straight. A little ways up the road was high speed downhill "S" curves with a railroad crossing and a reduced speed zone. If she tried to slow down, brake, or turn, with a bare rim, it may not have ended well. Our 1998 SLK's do not have a tpms system. The rear tires are 225/50/R16's, which are not as low profile as the SC's 245/40/R18's. If you have run-flats, they will mitigate some of that danger, but it would still be nice to know when the status of the tires change.

I hope I didn't sound preachy. When 78's go down you know it, the car drops a bunch on that corner. When 40's go down, you may not notice so much.

Last edited by GregMN; 04-01-23 at 02:47 PM.
Bgw70 (04-01-23)
Old 03-31-23, 07:34 PM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Default Duel color LED fog light bulbs

I don't intend to throw the whole J.C.Whitney catalog at the car, but for $16.68 I couldn't resist.
Now that I have control of the fog lights independent of any other lights, I am using them as my DRL's.
When I came across the duel color LED bulbs, well, why not?
The bulbs default color is white (6000K) when turned on. To change the color you turn them off and then back on within a few seconds.
The yellow is 3000k. They are stated to be 40w / bulb, 4800LM / bulb. I think the stock halogen bulbs were around 1200-1400LM each.
If you don't have independent control of the fog lights, this will not work. Every time you switch from low to high beam and back the fog lights will turn off and on and change color.

Bgw70 (04-01-23)

Quick Reply: New owner, new member