SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Looking to add CarPlay stereo and new speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 06:31 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to add CarPlay stereo and new speakers

I'm looking to *finally* get a CarPlay unit added to my 2002 SC430. I'm partial to the Sony units, but if anyone feels strongly about one brand/model or another, feel free to chime in. Best Buy currently has a sale going which includes free installation. A few questions:
1) It seems like the unit could theoretically be installed either as a swap-in for the existing stereo unit (near the shifter) or where the built-in GPS screen is (up top). How much more difficult would it be to get it installed where the top GPS screen is? Do you think Best Buy's installers would be up to this task or would they likely tell me they can only do it where the current stereo is installed?
2) I'd like to ideally also have the unused spot (GPS or stereo) replaced with a cubby. Again, do you think Best Buy's installers would/can do this sort of thing?
3) One of the pricier Sony units is "Maestro" compatible. I don't know much about it, but it sounds like it could tie into the car's systems somehow. My guess is the 2002 SC430 is too old to even offer that sort of functionality, but figured I'd ask about it here.
4) Thoughts about speaker replacements? My speakers sound pretty bad right now (I suspect many are blown). I'd like to just get new speakers that will fit in the stock spots and look as factory-standard as possible. Not sure if I would need additional amps or subwoofers?
Old 03-28-23, 10:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

Plenty of threads on this subject, just search.
here is one of my two installs
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...007-sc430.html
Old 03-28-23, 10:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here is my 2002 with an aftermarket pioneer
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...with-pics.html
Old 03-28-23, 01:51 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Thanks, but I don’t think my questions are answered in those threads.
Old 03-28-23, 02:43 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

You should look into the sc430mods, nav radio they have.
The following users liked this post:
jdkampfer (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 12:35 AM
bubblebutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, lots of info on here. I am having front and rear camera, Sirius fm, car play etc all installed next week. The original audio will be kept with wood opening covers. Will look original. I am trying something off the wall tomorrow. If interested I will post updates. Welcome…B B
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (03-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 09:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scott R
I'm looking to *finally* get a CarPlay unit added to my 2002 SC430. I'm partial to the Sony units, but if anyone feels strongly about one brand/model or another, feel free to chime in. Best Buy currently has a sale going which includes free installation. A few questions:
1) It seems like the unit could theoretically be installed either as a swap-in for the existing stereo unit (near the shifter) or where the built-in GPS screen is (up top). How much more difficult would it be to get it installed where the top GPS screen is? Do you think Best Buy's installers would be up to this task or would they likely tell me they can only do it where the current stereo is installed?
this is a question for Best Buy, call them…it would be very custom if physically possible, so I don’t think they would attempt to put it where the screen is located.
2) I'd like to ideally also have the unused spot (GPS or stereo) replaced with a cubby. Again, do you think Best Buy's installers would/can do this sort of thing? no, but hey, they might. Go show them the car and ask.
3) One of the pricier Sony units is "Maestro" compatible. I don't know much about it, but it sounds like it could tie into the car's systems somehow. My guess is the 2002 SC430 is too old to even offer that sort of functionality, but figured I'd ask about it here. it will only work with the system if you have an adapter…I showed you BeatSonic…there are others
4) Thoughts about speaker replacements? My speakers sound pretty bad right now (I suspect many are blown). I'd like to just get new speakers that will fit in the stock spots and look as factory-standard as possible. Not sure if I would need additional amps or subwoofers? several on here replaced their OEM 8ohm speakers with aftermarket speakers and many did the simply speaker repair…plenty of threads on both including adding or not adding amps and subwoofers.
I like to do searches on here using google, it works great

try ClubLexus speakers sc430

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-29-23 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-29-23, 11:06 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Thanks for the follow-up. I think I'm still pretty confused.

I spoke to the installer at Best Buy. He asked if I had the Mark Levinson audio system (I do), and said that I would need the Beat-Sonic MVA-12L ($400+). I think he said I could possibly avoid that if I was going to have them totally rerun the speaker wiring (maybe new amplifiers too?). Does that sound correct? Just to be clear, I don't care about maintaining functionality with the upper GPS screen.

He also said that mounting the new head unit in the spot where the upper GPS screen would not be possible, but I forget the reason he gave as to why.

Circling back to the need for the MVA-12L...if I go to Crutchfield's site (or Best Buy's for that matter), neither ask me whether I have the Mark Levinson audio and both just tell me I need a much less expensive wiring harness / radio replacement module and steering wheel control module. Can you confirm that this is not an option for me, and I really do need that Beat-Sonic MVA-12L?
Old 03-29-23, 05:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Scott R
Thanks for the follow-up. I think I'm still pretty confused.

I spoke to the installer at Best Buy. He asked if I had the Mark Levinson audio system (I do), and said that I would need the Beat-Sonic MVA-12L ($400+). I think he said I could possibly avoid that if I was going to have them totally rerun the speaker wiring (maybe new amplifiers too?). Does that sound correct? Just to be clear, I don't care about maintaining functionality with the upper GPS screen.

He also said that mounting the new head unit in the spot where the upper GPS screen would not be possible, but I forget the reason he gave as to why.

Circling back to the need for the MVA-12L...if I go to Crutchfield's site (or Best Buy's for that matter), neither ask me whether I have the Mark Levinson audio and both just tell me I need a much less expensive wiring harness / radio replacement module and steering wheel control module. Can you confirm that this is not an option for me, and I really do need that Beat-Sonic MVA-12L?
I installed the BeatSonic MVA-12L in my 2002 and the MVA-13L in my 2007. They both allowed me to retain all factory functions. I installed the backup camera input to both the radio and GPS screen…I can also watch a movie on the GPS screen.

As for the other interfaces, I would only know what the description states…there are some threads on here about using those types of interfaces…if I remember correctly, they worked but some of the controls did not work anymore…I don’t remember which ones.

I believe the best buy guy is correct, a new head unit, amp and speakers would allow you completely isolate from the system. All you need is power.
again, there are some pretty awesome custom sound system threads here at CL

Old 04-02-23, 03:46 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

So I haven't used the upper GPS unit in years. I know that the Beat-Sonic thing lets me maintain usage of that upper touchscreen display, which seemed important to some of you. It got me to wondering if I was missing out on some other functionality that the upper touchscreen display, so I pressed the "Open" button today to see what I was missing. Welp, I immediately saw an error message (I think it was "No Disk Detected").
Old 04-05-23, 04:20 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

So after some Googling and searching here it sounds like the "No Disk Detected" error would likely involve a very expensive fix (all to get my covered-in-dust-because-I-don't-ever-use-it GPS to work again). So, two questions:
1) If I wanted to spend $1000 and the unit was available to buy (currently it is not), would this SC430Mods be an option for me, or would I still *ALSO* need to potentially spend a large chunk of money in addition to that?
2) Since I don't want to spend a ton of money and have never cared about the upper GPS unit, does it now make more sense for me to also discard the idea of spending ~$400 on the Beat-Sonic MVA-12L and instead just go with the Metra TYTO-01 (wiring harness / radio replacement module) and Metra AWSC-TOY-LEX (steering wheel control) and DIN kit (all totaling up to about $100-150)? This seems like the obvious choice for me.
Old 04-13-23, 06:34 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

So, I think I posted this in a different thread, but I decided that I"m going to try out some add-on CarPlay units (not replacing the head unit) since there are some pretty impressive (and quite inexpensive, though that wasn't really a driving factor for me) ones out there. I purchased these two to try out:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

If one of these seems like a keeper, my plan is to add an AUX input (under $100 in parts, and I'll either try to do the job myself or will pay someone I found locally who has a lot of experience with mobile installs).

I did get a bit of a scare when I tried to test out using both my CD player and my tape deck, as I figured at least one of them might need to be in working order in order to use the AUX input. I have a fake-cassette AUX-input but couldn't get it working. And my CD player was acting funky and I no longer have any CDs in my possession to be able to test it out. Well, today I actually happened upon an actual cassette in one of my drawers. Tried it out and it worked. So I think I should be good. BTW, I have no idea where it came from - I don't think it was mine - but it had The Fat Boys. It was actually a pretty nostalgic feeling playing an old cassette in my car.