SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Seatbelt Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 07:41 AM
maczones
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile SC430 Seatbelt Cleaning

For those that have lightly colored (Ecru) seatbelts that need to be washed and cleaned, this is what I did without removing the seatbelts. Takes about 25 minutes to prepare, wash and clean.

1. Fill half way a 15 inch tall bucket with cold water. Pour a small amount of Oxi Clean powder mixed in with liquid Tide.

2. Open car door and window where seatbelt is being worked on.

3. Fully pull out seatbelt and apply lock pliers on seatbelt where it exits the retraction housing near the C-Pillar, to prevent seatbelt from retracting.

4. Soak in seatbelt in bucket. For parts of the seatbelt that cannot reach the bucket, soak it using a sponge. Leave belt in water for appximately 5 minutes to loosen the dirt.

5. Use a 3 inch long hard bristle brush to hard scrub the belt using the palm of your hand for support to remove the dirt and stains on both sides of the seatbelt. Keep dumping brush in bucket and then reapplying the wet brush on the seatbelt to help remove hard stains.

6. After the hard cleaning is completed, dump dirty water and refill bucket with cold water to rinse the seatbelt, then use a dry towel to help dry seatbelt.

7. Close car door and lay out seatbelt outside the opened car door window to hang dry for about 3 hours.

8. Remove lock pliers to retract seatbelt.

I do not have before and after photos to share but my Ecru colored seatbelts were brought back to original condition after this cleaning procedure was completed.

Last edited by maczones; 05-01-23 at 11:04 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by maczones:
Bgw70 (04-11-24), BuffMan (04-15-24), JTho (04-13-24), OBP (04-11-24)
Old 05-01-23, 08:02 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by maczones
For those that have lightly colored (Ecru) seatbelts that need to be washed and cleaned, this is what I did without removing the seatbelts.

1. Fill half way a 15 inch tall bucket with cold water. Pour a small amount of Oxi Clean powder mixed in with liquid Tide.

3. Pull out seatbelt fully and apply lock pliers on seatbelt where the seatbelt exits the retraction housing is on the C-Pillar to prevent seatbelt from retracting.

4. Soak in seatbelt in bucket. For parts of the seatbelt that cannot reach the bucket, soak it using a sponge. Leave belt in water for appximately 5 minutes to loosen the dirt.

5. Use a 3 inch long hard bristle brush and scrub belt using the palm of your hand for support to remove the dirt and stains on both sides of the seatbelt.

6. After hard cleaning is completed, dump dirty water in bucket and refill with clean cold water to rinse the seatbelt, then use a dry towel to help dry seatbelt.

7. Close car door and lay out seatbelt outside door to hang dry. Took about 3 hours for seatbelt to completely dry.

I have no before and after photos to share but my Ecru colored seatbelts were brought back to original condition after this cleaning procedure was done.
i have the same color and yes, they are stained…did cleaning help them retract better?
great write up…i will need to get some Oxy
Old 05-01-23, 08:11 AM
maczones
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. Yes, the retraction is now more natural. My driver side seatbelt was in bad shape with dirt and grime. So, yes, cleaning up the sticky grime helped improve the retraction. The cleaned seatbelt is now silky smooth and have a fresh scent too.

btw, Edited my procedure to fine tune it.

Last edited by maczones; 05-03-23 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-15-23, 05:21 PM
dewittbaue
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that have lightly colored (Ecru) seatbelts that need to be washed and cleaned, this is what I did without removing the seatbelts. Takes about 25 minutes to prepare, wash and clean.

3. Fully pull out seatbelt and apply lock pliers on seatbelt where it exits the retraction housing near the C-Pillar, to prevent seatbelt from retracting.

5. Use a 3 inch long hard bristle brush to hard scrub the belt using the palm of your hand for support to remove the dirt and stains on both sides of the seatbelt. Keep dumping brush in bucket and then reapplying the wet brush on the seatbelt to help remove hard stains.

6. After the hard cleaning is completed, dump dirty water and refill bucket with cold water to rinse the seatbelt, then use a dry towel to help dry seatbelt.

7. Close car door and lay out seatbelt outside the opened car door window to hang dry for about 3 hours.

I do not have before and after photos to share but my Ecru colored seatbelts were brought back to original condition after this cleaning procedure was completed.
Hello, thanks for this guide. I just cleaned my seatbelts and I am so happy.
Old 06-03-23, 11:08 AM
SCWillie
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow what a difference! Pretty easy too! Many thanks!
Old 04-11-24, 01:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks. Yes, the retraction is now more natural. My driver side seatbelt was in bad shape with dirt and grime. So, yes, cleaning up the sticky grime helped improve the retraction. The cleaned seatbelt is now silky smooth and have a fresh scent too.

btw, Edited my procedure to fine tune it.
Really appreciate your write-up. The belts were dirty, stiff and wouldn’t retract without help. I used the oxy and it really made the belts look great, soft and they retract like new again…very happy.
The belt receiver latch was sticking too, so i sprayed them with this, made specifically for plastic and rubber.