SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream answers needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 06:19 PM
wlg
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Techstream answers needed

I've been searching these forms for a while trying to understand Techstream and what to install it on. The more I read the more questions I have. I've heard it works best on a 32bit machine so I found a Dell windows 7 / 32 bit machine. I went with Techstream V18.00.008 I got a 5000 day activation key for it. I still have issues getting it to connect to the car. With the laptop I have is V18.00.008 the one to be using? What does this version allow you to do as opposed to older versions? I guess I'm looking for a tried and true way of getting this to work? Anyone have any proven methods that work?
Old 08-02-23, 08:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

The newer versions may be for newer models…I run TechStream on a 64 bit machine using a virtual version of TSv12…no issues with my 2007 SC430.
Old 08-03-23, 08:31 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I didn't know that it has a 32-bit limit. I'm running mine on a 64-bit older intel machine using a VXdiag nano. I think my techstream version is 16.00 something. It took me a long time to get it working but it's worth the time.
Old 08-03-23, 11:29 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

If techstream is working but not talking to your car, I would guess you did not load the special driver for your cable. It probably came on a disc.
Old 08-03-23, 11:42 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by wlg
I've been searching these forms for a while trying to understand Techstream and what to install it on. The more I read the more questions I have. I've heard it works best on a 32bit machine so I found a Dell windows 7 / 32 bit machine. I went with Techstream V18.00.008 I got a 5000 day activation key for it. I still have issues getting it to connect to the car. With the laptop I have is V18.00.008 the one to be using? What does this version allow you to do as opposed to older versions? I guess I'm looking for a tried and true way of getting this to work? Anyone have any proven methods that work?
TechStream is a powerful diagnosis software that Toyota and Lexus dealers are using. There are many frustrating issues when install it, however. If you’re running into the problem, check these:

1. Make sure you install TechStream to a 32-bit Window. It WILL install to the 64-bit Window but WILL NOT CONNECT to the SC VIM. If you want to use it to the 64-bit Window, you will have to modify the registry and swap some files. The easiest way to install to the 64-bit Window is to install VIRTUAL 32-bit Window.

2. Use Cable firmware Ver 1.4 for older SC, and Ver 2.04 for 06+ SC. They are some what not interchange. You will run into some functions.

3. TechStream software newer versions are for newer model vehicles. For the SC, Ver 10 and up is fine.

4. TechStream does not require internet connection, so disconnect your WiFi when installing or using. You might run into the activation issue if your computer connects to Toyota homepage ( not sure it’s true)

Read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...er-1-41-a.html

And this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...solutions.html

Hope it helps.

Last edited by GmanSC; 08-03-23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 03:18 PM
wlg
Driver

Great replies! Mine is a 2004 SC. I have a Dell win7/32 bit machine running V18.00.008. I believe my cable is the earlier 1.4. Techstream loaded just fine and I plugged in the activation key. I'm going to attempt hooking up to the car in the morning. Thanks.
Old 08-04-23, 04:21 AM
wlg
Driver

Well no luck. I get constant "Unable to connect to VIM". What a pain.
The following users liked this post:
dougaliscious (06-12-24)
Old 08-04-23, 05:36 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wlg
Great replies! Mine is a 2004 SC. I have a Dell win7/32 bit machine running V18.00.008. I believe my cable is the earlier 1.4. Techstream loaded just fine and I plugged in the activation key. I'm going to attempt hooking up to the car in the morning. Thanks.
Originally Posted by wlg
Well no luck. I get constant "Unable to connect to VIM". What a pain.
if ya cannot figure it out, just load this on any laptop, 32 or 64 bit. It creates a virtual window running V12 on WinXP and will it will work just fine on your 2004 SC430.
the links are in the description under the video. You need to open the video in YouTube to see the description.

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-23-23 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-04-23, 12:28 PM
wlg
Driver

Originally Posted by Bgw70
if ya cannot figure it out, just load this on any laptop, 32 or 64 bit, new included. It creates a virtual window running V12 on WinXP and will it will work just fine on your 2004 SC430.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyBwz3GT2g8
I'm following these instructions. Can you give me a link for the Techstream version mentioned in the video?
Old 08-06-23, 04:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wlg
I'm following these instructions. Can you give me a link for the Techstream version mentioned in the video?
please refer to his instructions below the video…

DshngDaryl (08-07-23)
Old 08-20-23, 03:56 PM
wlg
Driver

Maybe I'm just frustrated with trying to get Techstream to work but I gave up and went and bought the BlueDriver bluetooth scanner. This thing is slick.So simple to use. Look into it. About $100.
Oldsig (10-29-23)
Old 08-26-23, 08:27 PM
alexsea
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought VXDiag Nano scanner from Amazon for ~$90 and installed it on my Windows10 Laptop with VirtualBox running 32bit Windows10. Took me about 2 hours to install everything and about an hour to do full scan on the car for DTCs.
Oldsig (10-29-23)
Old 08-28-23, 07:33 PM
PWRSLVE
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another vote here for using virtual box plus the 32bit XP image with v12 Techstream and the cable drivers pre-installed.

I used an old Dell i5 laptop with a clean install of Win 10 64bit, downloaded the files from ih8mud referenced above, installed virtual box, loaded and started the image. Plug in the cable and then you have to attach the usb device so it sees the cable but that’s the only non obvious step (right click the little usb plug on the bottom right and select the cable). You can use the firmware updater tool to verify the cable firmware and function by pressing device info. Start the Techstream and another clue is you should see the driver version displayed at the bottom of the program window… 1.4.7, etc.

With my 2005 I was able to do the following…

1.4.1 cable - connect to car and recognizes model, vin, etc., run full health check, access customizable options, see live data for the tpms, etc.

I also previously purchased a 2.0.4 cable. My understanding from reading a lot of threads was that this cable would have issues or limited functionality with a < 2006 vehicle like not seeing live data but I was able to do everything I did with the 1.4.1 cable successfully on my 2005 using the 2.0.4 cable.

My 1.4.1 cable came with a copy of v18 Techstream so I decided to clone the v12 image in virtual box. When I ran the v18 installer, it upgraded the v12 install and kept the default settings. This version uses a “launcher” file to start the app. You just copy this to the Techstream install directory, create a desktop link and start the app this way. If you don’t you will be prompted for a key.

I was able to connect to my 2005 with v18, using both cables and although I didn’t test as deeply as I did with v12, I didn’t notice anything obviously missing and was able to see real time tpms data, turn off the telescopic steering wheel, etc.

I can’t vouch for anything but 2005 and I didn’t try every option but I saw no functional difference between the cables and v12 and v18 of Techstream. However, I did see missing functionality if I connected to the car with the key in acc and not on. I’m assuming some of the ecu’s only communicate when the key is in the on position.

Note that I also created an adapter cable as detailed in other posts and removed the connections not needed to avoid the vsc light and clearing issue.

Old 09-16-23, 08:06 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by wlg
Maybe I'm just frustrated with trying to get Techstream to work but I gave up and went and bought the BlueDriver bluetooth scanner. This thing is slick.So simple to use. Look into it. About $100.
I have already have the Bluedriver for my other cars and it does work well but I don't think it will access the functions and different settings in the car. I have not plugged it in yet though.
Old 09-16-23, 08:07 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRSLVE
Another vote here for using virtual box plus the 32bit XP image with v12 Techstream and the cable drivers pre-installed.

I used an old Dell i5 laptop with a clean install of Win 10 64bit, downloaded the files from ih8mud referenced above, installed virtual box, loaded and started the image. Plug in the cable and then you have to attach the usb device so it sees the cable but that’s the only non obvious step (right click the little usb plug on the bottom right and select the cable). You can use the firmware updater tool to verify the cable firmware and function by pressing device info. Start the Techstream and another clue is you should see the driver version displayed at the bottom of the program window… 1.4.7, etc.

With my 2005 I was able to do the following…

1.4.1 cable - connect to car and recognizes model, vin, etc., run full health check, access customizable options, see live data for the tpms, etc.

I also previously purchased a 2.0.4 cable. My understanding from reading a lot of threads was that this cable would have issues or limited functionality with a < 2006 vehicle like not seeing live data but I was able to do everything I did with the 1.4.1 cable successfully on my 2005 using the 2.0.4 cable.

My 1.4.1 cable came with a copy of v18 Techstream so I decided to clone the v12 image in virtual box. When I ran the v18 installer, it upgraded the v12 install and kept the default settings. This version uses a “launcher” file to start the app. You just copy this to the Techstream install directory, create a desktop link and start the app this way. If you don’t you will be prompted for a key.

I was able to connect to my 2005 with v18, using both cables and although I didn’t test as deeply as I did with v12, I didn’t notice anything obviously missing and was able to see real time tpms data, turn off the telescopic steering wheel, etc.

I can’t vouch for anything but 2005 and I didn’t try every option but I saw no functional difference between the cables and v12 and v18 of Techstream. However, I did see missing functionality if I connected to the car with the key in acc and not on. I’m assuming some of the ecu’s only communicate when the key is in the on position.

Note that I also created an adapter cable as detailed in other posts and removed the connections not needed to avoid the vsc light and clearing issue.
All this sounds completely foreign to me....

Quick Reply: Techstream answers needed