SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can the SC fit a carseat? Two?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-03, 09:50 AM
mistergin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the SC fit a carseat? Two?

Ok so it's time to start looking at verts, and one I've long been in love with is the SC. Not being able or really caring to try and afford the Benz, the SC just reaks of value.

I have one daughter, 2 years old, and another one the way (sex unknown ), but I'm still shopping for a roadster, carseats be damned I'm young however and want some sport, so I'll be selling when the C6 comes out, but right now it's kind of a toss-up between a cheaper porsche boxster and the SC. I'd rather go SC for the extra backseats along with the hardtop, but I do love the porsche's...

so that said, exactly how useless are the back seats? Would they fit a carseat for children? This would really allow me to drive it to more places (work and such where I drop the lil one off on the way)...

Anyone tried?
Old 11-05-03, 05:19 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Car seats are a tight fit. The backs of the rear seats are too vertical. My kids ride in backless boosters. The only caveat is that their heads hang forward if they fall asleep.
Old 11-06-03, 08:35 AM
mistergin
Driver School Candidate

hmm, perhaps next time I'm in the area I'll stop in at scottsdale lexus and see what they think, last time I went to look at the new IS300 (right after it was released), they were very snobby with me It's hard to get respect as a 23 year old, but as a real estate agent, I am prepared to afford some nice stuff, more people have to realize that
Old 11-06-03, 05:23 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Congrats on your sucess in the real estate business! The first night I bought my sc I took the family out for dinner. Needless to say the fit for everyone was quite tight. We bought the backless boosters that evening!
Old 11-06-03, 08:49 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Recently traded my '03 vette to get an '04 SC, and one of the reasons was I wanted back seats. By the way, I'm in the real estate business as well, but mostly as an investor. At 23, I was happy with my pinto; after graduating from engineering, I bought my first new car the year after: an '87 golf GTI. You're doing much better.
Anyway, I have 2 small girls, but don't need car seats (or boosters) anymore, so can't comment on that, but you already heard the solution.
What I can comment on, however, is that the SC is a 3-person car at best for me, unless it's a REAL emergency. I'm barely comfortable driving with the back rest rammed against the rear seat, so nobody is riding behind me. That brings me to the 3rd position. My daughter (8) couldn't take it back there for more than a short test drive, and my wife made a very valid comment: she was as far forward as she could possibly be, and was VERY nervous with the airbag right in her face. Then my daughter's face was a couple of inches from her back rest. This is a very dangerous scenario for both in case of an accident, since my wife could be killed by the exploding airbag (even detuned, would hit her at 170 mph), and my daughter would need a new nose and a surgical removal of the darn 'L' from her forehead at best. The only 'emergency' I'd dare to put my girls in my car is to pick them up from school, which both are within 2 miles of residential streets from my house, with a top speed of 30 mph. Haven't done it yet though. Only one at a time in the front.
Bottom line is I wouldn't put anybody I care about back there (and in front of her/him) on busy streets, so this car is for practical purposes a 2 seater. I'd like to see crash test results with 4 people inside our car; I bet I'm better off in my motorcycle. Oh, and you better have huge liability insurance if you plan to drive a client in the back. I never drive clients in my cars, for personal and liability reasons.

The vette wasn't for me, especially when I could afford the SC, so I don't regret the trade (and massive loss) because I wanted a hardtop convertible, but I treat my car strictly as a 2-seater. Seeing things like that now, I could have considered the hardtop benzes, but one is way too small and the other way too expensive (it had to be a hardtop for me; had a soft-top and hated it). So you're between a boxster and an SC? You need to make up your mind buddy; 2 completely different animals. Since most of us can't afford a Jay Leno garage, it has to be a compromise. The ultra luxurious and very quiet interior of the SC, plus convertible in 25 seconds with the safety of a coupe, did it for me. The back seats help to rationalize the purchase, but once you own the car, rear seats be damned. Clever marketing strategy by Lexus.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-03, 09:54 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

I agree with ELP. My wife and I are too nervous to place the kids back there. We would rather take the sedan or SUV with the children and leave the sc for our date nights. I happened to be driving very slowly on one instance and had to step hard on the brakes, my daughter hit her head on the back of the head rest, that was it for me. Best to leave the back seats for luggage in my opinion....didnt mean to contradict myself in previous posts, ELP's post just brought the reality of the situation to light.
Old 11-09-03, 07:53 PM
mistergin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys!

I completely agree, I too see the SC as a 2 seater, but useless back seats can be a godsend sometimes! I'm thinking of those rare instances where my lady is caught up at work or has to be somewhere else and requires daddy to pick up the lil one. In a case like that, just knowing that she could fit there the short ride form her day school would be nice. In the boxster, or any 2 seater, the passenger airbag would have to be defeated and that doesn't make it any safer if babies aren't your only passenger!

And luckily I'm not a buyer's agent so no driving ms client I'm the transaction manager who handles all the paperwork after the listing/contract and up to the close So a little loss of practicality is luckily, of no consequence

It's those little gifts in life that allow you to give up the room of an LS and enjoy an SC just for you Talked with the lady over the choice I had above and she said go lexus, especially since I'm not one to take it to the track or anything, it would just be "daddy's car".

Man now I"m excited, lol, time to start seriously saving I guess

Thanks!

Ginnie