SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New to me 2004 with some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 12:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Hope these pics help…I took them when i had an issue with a broken part.
NOTE: when you reinstall the assembly, make sure the ashtray door is closed or you may break the little arm on the side with the gears

Old 09-07-23, 12:59 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the large gear is the tensioner

Old 09-07-23, 01:49 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

YES, that is without a doubt what's wrong with mine, that longer rail is broke off and missing. I did source a complete set up with the ashtray and cupholder as my cupholder was a little funky as well. Thanks for the pics. AND the warning about having the ashtray door closed when installing.
Old 09-07-23, 02:19 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 515 Likes on 429 Posts

The cup holders get soda spilled in them and then get hard to pop up and flip open. If you have a steamer, you can clean the sticky out.

@GmanSC has a good dollar store fix to make your cup holder more effective
Old 09-07-23, 02:23 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
The cup holders get soda spilled in them and then get hard to pop up and flip open. If you have a steamer, you can clean the sticky out.

@GmanSC has a good dollar store fix to make your cup holder more effective
Yeah, the little rubber strips that help hold the cups in are in trouble, and one missing.
Old 09-07-23, 04:23 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by SGB4570
Yeah, the little rubber strips that help hold the cups in are in trouble, and one missing.
It"s not the rubber that give you problems. It is the shallow design of the cup holder that knocks off your drinks in the event off sudden braking or accelerating. I wonder what else will go wrong in your SC. The SC with only 57K miles should not have those kind of issues. I guess the previous owner(s) was/were not well taking care for the car. Kind of sad. Sorry I just express my opinion.
Old 09-07-23, 04:38 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by GmanSC
It"s not the rubber that give you problems. It is the shallow design of the cup holder that knocks off your drinks in the event off sudden braking or accelerating. I wonder what else will go wrong in your SC. The SC with only 57K miles should not have those kind of issues. I guess the previous owner(s) was/were not well taking care for the car. Kind of sad. Sorry I just express my opinion.
No, actually it is in very excellent condition I'm probably just very picky!
The Toyota guy was floored as to how nice it was!

Last edited by SGB4570; 09-07-23 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-08-23, 04:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

If i remember correctly, You can easily remove the cup holder from the assembly. Seems like it was a couple of screws.
then you can wash the cup holder in the sink or let it soak, then take a toothbrush and wash the goo out.
i took mine apart but i think i had a little difficulty putting it back together.
Old 09-08-23, 04:33 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bgw70
If i remember correctly, You can easily remove the cup holder from the assembly. Seems like it was a couple of screws.
then you can wash the cup holder in the sink or let it soak, then take a toothbrush and wash the goo out.
i took mine apart but i think i had a little difficulty putting it back together.
Yes just a few screws for it or the ashtray to come out, but it works fine, not all gunked up just missing that rubber strip on one holder. Besides I have a whole new unit on the way, cupholder, ashtray, and trim.
Old 09-08-23, 06:09 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Yes just a few screws for it or the ashtray to come out, but it works fine, not all gunked up just missing that rubber strip on one holder. Besides I have a whole new unit on the way, cupholder, ashtray, and trim.
awesome, and some spare parts too. Are you going to keep the original and replace the broken part?

what would you like to work on next?
Old 09-08-23, 06:22 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

awesome, and some spare parts too. Are you going to keep the original and replace the broken part?

what would you like to work on next?
My thought right now is to just replace the whole thing as a unit, as long as it looks and works as it should that's probably the plan.
Next? Hmmmm, doesn't need much, Yesterday I polished the driver side headlight it was looking a little hazed, then I waxed the whole thing and cleaned all the weatherstripping/body gaskets and Armoralled them. Probably want to wipe down all the seats with some leather cleaner/conditioner. Oh, and I do have an appointment next week at the Toyota dealership for the timing belt/water pump service and to R&R the power steering fluid, it's pretty dark looking, and the timing belt is 19 years old! Oil was just changed so I'm good there, has new tires all the way round, will probably have a look at the air filters today and see how they look.
Just want to get everything up to par on this guy.
Old 09-08-23, 08:23 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

You might want to add backup cam, turn off the ugly yellow DRLs, and replce them and all interior lights with LEDs.
Mine is completely stock except for those items.
Old 09-08-23, 08:36 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by GmanSC
You might want to add backup cam, turn off the ugly yellow DRLs, and replce them and all interior lights with LEDs.
Mine is completely stock except for those items.
Yes, when he added the pioneer head unit it included the back up camera, also has carplay so I can do most everything with it.
Old 09-08-23, 10:21 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

My thought right now is to just replace the whole thing as a unit, as long as it looks and works as it should that's probably the plan.
Next? Hmmmm, doesn't need much, Yesterday I polished the driver side headlight it was looking a little hazed, then I waxed the whole thing and cleaned all the weatherstripping/body gaskets and Armoralled them. Probably want to wipe down all the seats with some leather cleaner/conditioner. Oh, and I do have an appointment next week at the Toyota dealership for the timing belt/water pump service and to R&R the power steering fluid, it's pretty dark looking, and the timing belt is 19 years old! Oil was just changed so I'm good there, has new tires all the way round, will probably have a look at the air filters today and see how they look.
Just want to get everything up to par on this guy.
consider the transmission and brake fluid along with rear differential, unless already completed.
transmission fluid is as easy or easier to change than the engine oil. Just drain and refill, no filter.
Old 09-08-23, 10:28 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

consider the transmission and brake fluid along with rear differential, unless already completed.
transmission fluid is as easy or easier to change than the engine oil. Just drain and refill, no filter.
Brake fluid looks great, may do trans and diff once I recuperate from the cost of the timing belt. I wish the Japanese would go to a timing chain! It's the weak link in their cars.

Quick Reply: New to me 2004 with some questions.