SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

1010 keys fob programing? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 03:08 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
Default 1010 keys fob programing? HELP

Ok, on the advice here I ordered a key fob key and the chip programmer for my new to me 2004. I've included a picture of the instructions they sent me. I'm good all the way down to #9 and the car will lock/unlock 5 times but then nothing. In #10 It says to press and "hold" the lock and unlock buttons twice.. if I press and hold... how do I do it twice? how long to hold?? I've tried multiple ways to no avail, and it has also erased my master key so no fobs work now.
I hope someone knows, with 1010 keys being on ebay they have no phone, I sent a message but have heard nothing as of yet. ;-(

Old 09-14-23, 05:36 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Getting new keys is a two step process. The first process is programming the key to your car. This allows the key to start your car. That is what the programming box does.

The second process is programming the remote to lock and unlock your doors. I can't speak for 1010 key's instructions, but I believe 2 times was suppose to say 2 seconds.

Follow these steps and see if it takes care of the problemRemote Programming

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.

2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.

3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

4. Close and open drivers door.

5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.

7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door lock do not cycle (lock, unlock) by themselves then the car isn't in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote. Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.

9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT. The locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle TWICE it have failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn't receive a good signal from the remove. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing step 8 and 9. 2) Don't hold the remove buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying step 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10) Close and open door to end programming procedure.
Old 09-14-23, 05:39 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

This procedure works better if you have a helper. One person does the button pushing and one person reads each step aloud as each procedure is completed
Old 09-14-23, 08:15 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
This procedure works better if you have a helper. One person does the button pushing and one person reads each step aloud as each procedure is completed
Thank you I have done it so much I have it memorized.
And I can't stand outside on 8&9 it says opening the door will take it out of programing mode.
I will try again in the morning.
Old 09-15-23, 04:45 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Getting new keys is a two step process. The first process is programming the key to your car. This allows the key to start your car. That is what the programming box does.

The second process is programming the remote to lock and unlock your doors. I can't speak for 1010 key's instructions, but I believe 2 times was suppose to say 2 seconds.

Follow these steps and see if it takes care of the problemRemote Programming

1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.

2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.

3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

4. Close and open drivers door.

5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)

6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.

7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door lock do not cycle (lock, unlock) by themselves then the car isn't in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote. Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.

9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT. The locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle TWICE it have failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn't receive a good signal from the remove. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing step 8 and 9. 2) Don't hold the remove buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying step 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10) Close and open door to end programming procedure.
Unfortunately, 3 & 5 I cannot do! After the first try with their directions my original fob no longer works so I can't use the key/fob to do that, or are you talking the electric lock switch on the inside of the door?

Oh, and on #7 the locks cycling by themselves happens the way I've been doing it, so I'm guessing it is in programing mode.

Last edited by SGB4570; 09-15-23 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-15-23, 05:36 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

DshngDaryl
Thanks for your help although your method did not work either, it would not even get me into programing mode. At least my original key still works just not the buttons, but I can still start and drive the car. Made an appointment at the Toyota dealer on Monday morning to have them reprogram the original master so it works again. As far as programing the chip on the new key to start the car... NO CHANCE!!! I'll just have to bite the bullet and get an oem key, and heck its only $344!!! OUCH!
Old 09-15-23, 07:33 AM
GregMN
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Get Techstream.
Old 09-15-23, 08:31 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by GregMN
Get Techstream.
What will that do for me?
And what all do I need to get?

Last edited by SGB4570; 09-15-23 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-15-23, 01:54 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

I knew you would ran into problems programming the key. I do not like the open-close-door methods. It does not work for me either. You need TechStream to program your key. With TechStream you can see how many keys are programmed to your car computer, and you can delete and add keys as needed.

Getting TechStream is another story. Some member is lucky it works at the first time, most of us will struggle to get it works.

TechStream is power full Toyota diagnostic software. Besides, programming the keys, it can do more like performing health check your SC, customizing your SC, TPMS,....

So, get the old XP or Win7 laptop, go to EBay get the copy of TechStream, it will come with the cable. For your 04 SC, ver 1.4 firmware and any version 10 and up software will do. Remember, TechStream will not work with 64-bit Windows (Win 10) unless you install virtual box.

Good luck.
Old 09-16-23, 04:51 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I knew you would ran into problems programming the key. I do not like the open-close-door methods. It does not work for me either. You need TechStream to program your key. With TechStream you can see how many keys are programmed to your car computer, and you can delete and add keys as needed.

Getting TechStream is another story. Some member is lucky it works at the first time, most of us will struggle to get it works.

TechStream is power full Toyota diagnostic software. Besides, programming the keys, it can do more like performing health check your SC, customizing your SC, TPMS,....

So, get the old XP or Win7 laptop, go to EBay get the copy of TechStream, it will come with the cable. For your 04 SC, ver 1.4 firmware and any version 10 and up software will do. Remember, TechStream will not work with 64-bit Windows (Win 10) unless you install virtual box.

Good luck.
Sounds about as hit and miss as programing the key!! I'll have to see.
Car goes back to Toyota first thing on Monday morning to fix the original key and see if they will program that aftermarket one, if not I'll probably buy a key from them.
Old 09-17-23, 05:05 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts

Scott

I doubt that Toyota will program that key for you. I tried that with my son's 05 and Lexus would not program. He ended up spending the money to get a second key from Lexus.

Dennis
Old 09-17-23, 05:54 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Scott

I doubt that Toyota will program that key for you. I tried that with my son's 05 and Lexus would not program. He ended up spending the money to get a second key from Lexus.

Dennis
I talked with them and they have one tech with all the Lexus software that can supposedly do it. (I couldn't find any fingers crossed emojis) I see him Monday morning.
Old 09-18-23, 06:35 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Okay, an update to this: After sitting in the Toyota dealer for an hour this morning and 175 bucks later... My original key is back in working order AND the key I got from 1010 keys is also working, both the fob and the chip to start the car. So, $50 for the key and programmer from 1010 and $175 to Toyota to fix it I'm at $225 for a new key and fob for my new little car. Still better than the $344 Toyota wanted for a keyfob and to program it! Would have been nice if the $50 key from 1010 would have worked but alas that was not the case!
The following users liked this post:
DJWLDW (09-18-23)