SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Buyers remorse??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 10:56 AM
Rayzerr
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Buyers remorse??

Hello everyone! New owner of an 06 here. This is my second 06, but there has been over 10 years since my first one. I sold my first one in 2011 after owning it for two years. Several reasons for the sale, but mostly because I wasn't driving it much and my wife complaining it was taking up space in the garage. In hindsight, I maybe should have sold my wife and kept my car. Either way, I have new one...an SC, not a wife. My first one was perfect. Low mileage off lease beauty. I loved that car. I kept my love alive for all those years in between and earlier this year I decided it was time for me to get another. That happened last Saturday after 7 months of stalking the internet. I found another 06 at a Subaru dealer in Connecticut with 48,000 miles and paid 20k knowing I was doing a timing belt. The car is immaculate, and the interior is pristine. Silver with black interior (probably my third choice of color combos, but a very satisfying one nevertheless). So, you ask, what's the problem? While driving it home, I noticed a problem with Heat/AC. Set it to 65 and blows cold (very cold), set it 66 and blows hot (very hot). What to do? Go to the internet and research. Which lead me back to the forum (I was a regular poster years ago). I read and read, looking for answer. A lot of posters point to the cabin temperature sensor. But in all that reading, several things are clear. Replacement parts are scarce, certain issues are common (shimmy at 60, for example), and perhaps my love of the SC was based on driving a 3 year old and not a 17 year old one. So, my fellow SC owners, did I make a mistake and trying to recapture the past?
Old 09-28-23, 12:33 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzerr
So, my fellow SC owners, did I make a mistake and trying to recapture the past?
Absolutely not! You're always gonna have bugs that need sorting in a newly purchased used car. Treat her with the tender loving care she deserves, and you will fall in love all over again (with your SC and your wife)!
Old 09-28-23, 05:46 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayzerr
So, my fellow SC owners, did I make a mistake and trying to recapture the past?
Yes, but only because you can't recapture the past. I had the same experience as you with a Z4. Had one, sold it, bought another one years later. It was not as good as I remember it. I think part of it was because my first Z4 was during a really great period in my life, and I was also trying to recapture that through the car.

But the more I drive my second Z4, the more I remember why I loved that car. The feedback from the road is amazing.

Put the top down on your SC on a sunny day and you will remember why you loved the car.

As for parts, there never has been a part my SC needed that I couldn't find. If you think it is the ambient temperature sensor, it looks like they still sell them at the dealer. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le...re_sensor.html

Old 09-28-23, 05:48 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

You may want to check out this post to help narrow down if it is a servo
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post11568422
Old 09-29-23, 06:15 AM
Tanker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.lexusoeparts.com/
The following users liked this post:
Rayzerr (10-03-23)
Old 10-03-23, 05:27 PM
Rayzerr
Driver

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Absolutely not! You're always gonna have bugs that need sorting in a newly purchased used car. Treat her with the tender loving care she deserves, and you will fall in love all over again (with your SC and your wife)!
Really never fell out of love with either.

I found a few things that need to be done. The cabin temp sensor needs replacing, the motor mounts need to be done and the TBWP. The real bummer is I just found that the driver side headlamp has a broken top tab and was shimmed into place with a piece of black hose.

New floor mats and cut a second key.

past few days have been top down weather in the NE, so yeah, I’m digging it.
Old 10-03-23, 05:33 PM
Rayzerr
Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Yes, but only because you can't recapture the past. I had the same experience as you with a Z4. Had one, sold it, bought another one years later. It was not as good as I remember it. I think part of it was because my first Z4 was during a really great period in my life, and I was also trying to recapture that through the car.

But the more I drive my second Z4, the more I remember why I loved that car. The feedback from the road is amazing.

Put the top down on your SC on a sunny day and you will remember why you loved the car.

As for parts, there never has been a part my SC needed that I couldn't find. If you think it is the ambient temperature sensor, it looks like they still sell them at the dealer. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le...re_sensor.html
I waited a few days to reply to see it you were right, and you were. Top down driving is amazing as I remember.
While money can fix cars, it can’t buy back time. I’ll enjoy today and remember the past. Now let’s hit the accelerator.
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (10-04-23)
Old 10-03-23, 05:36 PM
Rayzerr
Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
You may want to check out this post to help narrow down if it is a servo
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post11568422
Thanks for the advice. Cabin sensor was throwing a code so my guy ordered a new one, it was a cheap part (if there is such a thing on a Lexus). So if that’s the fix I’ll consider that a win.