SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacement Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-23, 08:57 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Wheels are due here around Dec 15th. Excited as well to see how they look. I'm a bit confused about how the TPMS will function in my 2005. Based on my research the system changed in 2006. This will be an interesting and educational experience.
Old 12-07-23, 09:32 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgene
Wheels are due here around Dec 15th. Excited as well to see how they look. I'm a bit confused about how the TPMS will function in my 2005. Based on my research the system changed in 2006. This will be an interesting and educational experience.
You will have no problem with the TPMS. They don't care what wheel they are put into. The system changed in 07 not 06. My 06 has the same TPMS as your 05.
Old 12-07-23, 01:02 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Thanks for the clarification on the model change in the TPMS.

Observation: When I ordered my tires and wheels from SD Wheel, I also ordered new sensors. They contacted me and informed that I didn't need them for my 2005, and credited my account. So, now I'm a bit confused as to what I DO need for my wheels -- if anything at all. Based on some research I did, it appears that the sensors newer cars use were not being used in my 2005. I'll be happy to share what I found if anyone needs it. Otherwise, no need to clog the system with redundant info.

This forum is awesome! Thanks to all of you who offer constructive comments and helpful suggestions. Keep'em coming
Old 12-07-23, 03:06 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Observation: When I ordered my tires and wheels from SD Wheel, I also ordered new sensors. They contacted me and informed that I didn't need them for my 2005, and credited my account. So, now I'm a bit confused as to what I DO need for my wheels -- if anything at all. Based on some research I did, it appears that the sensors newer cars use were not being used in my 2005. I'll be happy to share what I found if anyone needs it. Otherwise, no need to clog the system with redundant info.

This forum is awesome! Thanks to all of you who offer constructive comments and helpful suggestions. Keep'em coming
Curious to see what you find out
Old 12-07-23, 05:54 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

You can use your existing TPMS sensors because the wheel place you ordered from cannot supply the correct TPMS sensors.
hope that makes sense.
Old 12-12-23, 03:48 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

As promised, below are the before and after photos of the new wheels from SD Wheel.
It's really the same car -- the pictures were taken at different days with different iPhones.
  • Lesson learned: I will need to replace the TPM sensors. The shop did not reinstall them since one of them was corroded. The other 3 may function -- in fact -- I assume they all functioned since I did not have a light or warning sound before new wheels. Now!!!! the darn light is on all the time and the warning tone comes on every few minutes.
This is getting expensive every step of the way. I've found some sensors online for $45 each -- they are exact matches for the ones I have. Sadly, the seller only has 3 -- as you know each one has a colored dot on the side to identify which tire it goes on. I found an article describing how to relearn the sensors when replacing. Not sure I have the equipment to do that. May have to go to Lexus for programming.
Of course, I could disable the warning system. I've watched a video on how to do it. Just not sure what else get's deactivated when connections are separated.
Anyway, the pics are below.

Old 12-12-23, 04:05 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

You have the same stock rims as I do. Those new ones look nice. Good pick!
Old 12-13-23, 09:53 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

As promised, below are the before and after photos of the new wheels from SD Wheel.
It's really the same car -- the pictures were taken at different days with different iPhones.
  • Lesson learned: I will need to replace the TPM sensors. The shop did not reinstall them since one of them was corroded. The other 3 may function -- in fact -- I assume they all functioned since I did not have a light or warning sound before new wheels. Now!!!! the darn light is on all the time and the warning tone comes on every few minutes.
This is getting expensive every step of the way. I've found some sensors online for $45 each -- they are exact matches for the ones I have. Sadly, the seller only has 3 -- as you know each one has a colored dot on the side to identify which tire it goes on. I found an article describing how to relearn the sensors when replacing. Not sure I have the equipment to do that. May have to go to Lexus for programming.
Of course, I could disable the warning system. I've watched a video on how to do it. Just not sure what else get's deactivated when connections are separated.
Anyway, the pics are below.

The local Toyota dealership wanted $280.00 to program the sensors. I did it myself with Techstream.
The following users liked this post:
nzxyxy (12-18-23)
Old 12-13-23, 10:12 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Just opened up the console and disconnected the two connectors that control the TPMS. No light -- no warning buzzer!
Actually, I don't like this approach -- I prefer the system worked as it should -- but the cost is just prohibitive. I just got a quote from a Lexus dealer in Tampa, FL to replace all 4 sensors and program the ECU -- $1200. Ain't gonna happen!!!!
I guess, I'll just have to be diligent in checking my tire pressure regularly and not rely on the internal system.
Old 12-13-23, 10:23 AM
SGB4570
Advanced

Just opened up the console and disconnected the two connectors that control the TPMS. No light -- no warning buzzer!
Actually, I don't like this approach -- I prefer the system worked as it should -- but the cost is just prohibitive. I just got a quote from a Lexus dealer in Tampa, FL to replace all 4 sensors and program the ECU -- $1200. Ain't gonna happen!!!!
I guess, I'll just have to be diligent in checking my tire pressure regularly and not rely on the internal system.
Ya know, we used the old tire pressure gauge for years and we all survived!!
Old 12-13-23, 12:47 PM
rondenrus
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The wheels look great! They were a real upgrade. I feel like the installer should have put the sensors on your rims even if one was corroded.
Old 12-14-23, 05:48 AM
Tanker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rondenrus
The wheels look great! They were a real upgrade. I feel like the installer should have put the sensors on your rims even if one was corroded.

That would lead to even worse problems down the road. The installers normally give you the option if their bad but not corroded. It's gotta go.
Old 12-14-23, 07:13 AM
mcgene
Pit Crew

When I ordered the wheels from SD Wheel, I also ordered new TPMS sensors. As I mentioned in a previous post -- they contacted me and said they did not have the correct sensors for my 2005 SC430, so they took them off my order. Apparently, the sensors are a bit unique and pricey. I have found them for about $80-$90 each -- but then finding someone who knows how to program them is another story. Having them installed is not a challenge but programming would be.
So, at this time -- I'll try to train myself to monitor my tire pressure on a regular basis. In fact, I'm researching now for a top-notch pressure gauge. Any suggestions?
-gene
Old 12-16-23, 09:28 AM
Mike205
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus G-Spiders

The following users liked this post:
nzxyxy (12-18-23)
Old 12-16-23, 02:24 PM
SGB4570
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike205
Lexus G-Spiders

So, "Lexus G-Spiders", are these off a different Lexus Car? or where do you get these?

Quick Reply: Replacement Rims?