SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Initial Reaction and Comments on my new SC430

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 04:23 PM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial Reaction and Comments on my new SC430

I've enjoyed reading your comments on previous posts and it appears that this board is a friendly constructive place. I traded in my 2003 M3 Convertible for the SC 430 and so far I couldn't be happier. The M3 had many nice conveniences including a true back seat, but nothing can compare to a real convertible hard top. I love the car with the top UP (!), something which was not true on the BMW. The ride quality and the interior appearance is top notch.

My only 2 little problems include the tire pressure monitor being on since we picked up the car (they changed the wheels prior to us buying the car) and concerns about the leather. The ecru leather already has some mild staining just from the drive home from a black raincoat I was wearing. Yikes. I have read the posts about caring for the leather and sped to the Zaino website to buy some of their leather cleaner and liquid leather. I am worried that the leather is going to be a full time job. Oh, and the fingerprint thing on the NAV is nothing I can't handle.

Anyway, this car is just beautiful and a pleasure to drive. I see myself in this car for a long time.

I look forward to posting here (more civilized crowd than M3 forum or Roadfly!).

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 11-11-03, 04:38 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenn,

I also thought about the M3 soft-top, along w/ the corvette soft-top and 350Z soft-top. I've test driven all of these and by far the the SC430 stands out as a more plush luxo-ride and a higher quality of craftsmanship on the interior.

I have a new SC430 (around 1500 miles so far) and can't be any happier.

This forum has great folks who know about their cars and any other car-related maintenance advice.

I check the forums almost everyday and found them very helpful towards my needs for maintaining my car.

Welcome......thanks..teeman
Old 11-11-03, 04:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats to both of you !! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 11-11-03, 09:36 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the club Glenn. I also had a BMW soft-top, and it was the first and last soft-top in my life: too darn noisy, hard to maintain, very delicate, expensive to insure, and a knife away from disaster.

Hopefully your new wheels have a provision for the sensors, or you'll have to disable the system somehow. Do a search on this site, because I saw that issue addressed, but it's not pretty. I think the solution was to put a black piece of tape over the light, and to disconnect the buzzer (which might serve other functions).

I have 499 miles on my '04, and couldn't be happier too. I also have the ecru interior, and I don't think you'll have a problem after you properly condition the seats. Mine took like 7 applications before it was properly conditioned (leather always comes dry from the factory), and am quite happy with it. I use Griot's Garage conditioner, which dries clear and smells really nice IMO. Buy the 16oz bottle.

Welcome again, and take care.

JC
Old 11-12-03, 06:15 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ecru leather is NOT a problem. I used Zaino product on mine to condition it. Like JC says, condition it well and there isn't any problem. The floor mats show dirt easy, but they are easy to clean. Take your car to the dealer. They can "wake up" your sensor if it is not responding. They don't need to remove the wheels or tires to do that. If your run flat buzzer is driving you insane, read the post under FAQs on how to disable that. It's easy and does not affect any other system. That will give you silence until you can get to the dealer. Enjoy your car. It's an awesome vehicle.

Doc C