SC430 Air Line/Compressor Power Wire Routing for Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 11:03 AM
Polarisman
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SC430 Air Line/Compressor Power Wire Routing for Air Suspension

Hello all,

I'm half way through the air suspension install on my '07. I've got the routing of the rear lines, tank, manifold, and compressor location all mapped out, and a bunch of the holes drilled. The trunk floor liner is out along with the rear seats, driver's (LHD) door sill panel, and the battery tray and some driver's side plastic trim under the hood. I've read that 1/4" air line should be ran inside the car whenever possible. Does anyone have any photos or suggestions of how to route these lines, along with the power and remote wires for the compressor? I found some large holes through the trunk to rear seat junction but I'm unsure if I can run these through there without removing the side panels, which I'd rather skip.

Then again, may be a good opportunity to re foam the rear speakers...

In terms of the front half of the car, I was planning on running the lines along the sill plate and up under the dash to the grommets at the corners. Not sure how much flexibility the plastic lines will afford me. Has anyone anchored them with rubber lined clamps in the interior, or usually only when outside the car?

Any suggestions are much appreciated, looking for a nice clean install but would rather not pull the entire car apart if I can help it.

Thanks!
Old 01-15-24, 11:12 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi Matt
As you know, I ran my air pipes under the car, but I ran the power lead through the interior to a main fuse that fits next to the battery via a 100 amp fuse under the board i made to support the tank and compressors. Hope these pictures help.

Old 01-15-24, 01:52 PM
Polarisman
Pit Crew

Steve,

Thank you. Did you make your own hole for the power wire or just feed it through the large grommet? Did you remove your rear side trim completely or just peel it back on the door side a bit? My issue is I know the seat belt retracts into that area and I don't want it rubbing on the air line or wire.

As a side note, what's the consensus on bulkhead fittings vs a grommet? I'm considering using bulkhead fittings anywhere I need to pass through sheet metal. On one hand it's a more secure and weather tight connection, but on the other it also introduces 2 more opportunities to leak. Then again, it breaks the line up into multiple smaller pieces making line repairs easier in the future.

I think in terms of getting the air line routed up front, in front of the firewall, I may have to pull my struts back out (d'oh!) to drill the hole in the right place to use a bulkhead fitting. From there I'll use a ptc style fitting and some heat sleeve to keep things well insulated... That is, unless anyone's got a better suggestion.

Last edited by Polarisman; 01-15-24 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 10:50 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Hi Matt

I ran the power line in one from the boot fuse to the battery fuse through the large grommet in the rear bulkhead. Yes, I just peeled back the rear trim. I can't remember how i got through the firewall, but I did not drill any holes, so there must be a grommet in there. Can't see why you would need to do it in smaller pieces for 'line repairs'. It is such a heavy cable it would take some issue to damage it and running it in one means not worring about any connection probs.
Cheers Steve
Old 01-16-24, 11:05 AM
Polarisman
Pit Crew

Steve,

Sorry I didn't make that clear. My intention would be to run both the power wire for the compressor and the front right and front left air supply lines for the struts through the interior. The comment on the air line repair, etc was specific to the air lines, the compressor power wire would be ran in one continuous piece.
Old 01-17-24, 11:37 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Hi Matt
Oh I see now, i did'nt read your post properly.
Good luck and please post some pictures of your install as you go along.
Cheers
Steve